PDA

View Full Version : Nobody will fit my gunnerchip.............

Hulio
15-12-2006, 15:37
I have tried loads of places near where I live in west london and no tv repair place will touch it. I have called a few vehicle electricians and they wont touch it because they say they are afraid that they will be held responsible if I fry my engine!!!!! :(

I dont dare try it myself as I have a vague memory of my soldering skills from school and they were not good.....

Still hoping to find somebody to do it......... :?

summeh
15-12-2006, 18:59
I had a real problem trying to find someone to do mine as well. Tried TV repair people and they didn't want to touch it, same excuse, didn't want to be held responsible. I wouldn't bother with auto electricians either.

In the end I rang a local performance tuner, they recommended a local robotics/electronics company whom they send all their work of that type to. So you may want to try ringing a few performance garages and asking who they use, pretty sure they will be able to recommend someone.

There is another problem with the clio PCB's. Does yours look like it's covered with green resin? If so this is a type of epoxy resin, which is sprayed on all over the board before the chips are soldered on. God knows why renault do this but I suspect to help prevent people tampering/chipping. It just means that whoever does the work for you will take a lot longer because they have to be very careful when scraping away the epoxy from under the chip. This also means that the kind of work is beyond your typical kind of tv repair man.

In the end it cost me 30quid for mine, think the guy said he would charge 60 in future if it had the same problem as above (epoxy). But it did take him around 3 hours to do mine! So not bad really when you consider superchips really rip you off.

If you want I can post info for the company I used. Very nice and friendly small family run business, the guy was very much in to chipping cars himself. Said he would be happy to do work for people I recommend. They are based in Gosport, Hampshire.

Andy
15-12-2006, 19:05
the green liquid is sprayed on over the assembled board from memory. u can buy a brush on liquid remover that takes it off.

Hope your guy didnt scrape your ecu summeh !

summeh
15-12-2006, 20:44
Nah he knew what he was doing alright. They do robotics work for the MOD, so this was simple stuff for him I think. :) Said he had seen many before like that before from Renault. The green stuff was actually applied underneath my map chip as well. Just depends on the factory, whether they give a "liberal" spraying or not to that particular board.

Hulio
17-12-2006, 02:05
i may need the info for your guy summeh, I'm just waiting on hearing back from Rajk who is on these forums as he has a mate who could possibly do it for me.

Did you post your ecu to the guy in gosport summeh? Its a bit far to drive for me.....

AmDaMan
17-12-2006, 11:11
i've just bought a superchip off someone, will this need soldering too?

FlamingMonkey
17-12-2006, 11:12
3hours!!! it really is a a 15 min job at most! The longest parts is getting the ECU casing out tof the car, the soldering etc, should only take minutes at most

summeh
18-12-2006, 18:59
3hours!!! it really is a a 15 min job at most! The longest parts is getting the ECU casing out tof the car, the soldering etc, should only take minutes at most

Thats not true.

As said before if you read my first post, it really depends on how the PCB was coated at the factory.

My example was a Williams ECU, this was covered in epoxy, even underneath the chip. So the guy had to scrape under the chip, this being a very delecate process.

I would love to see you do mine in 15 minutes monkey, would have saved me a few bob :wink: Also, have you actually done this yourself and it only taken 15 minutes? Even if there was no epoxy holding it down, I don't think thats a realistic figure!

Valvers etc may be different, depends on the process used at the factory. As said in my post, I was just giving my example.

Hulio, yeah he said that posting them would be fine iirc. Really you best bet is to ring them and find out. Now I need to remember the name of the company :lol:

FlamingMonkey
18-12-2006, 20:49
haha ok i am liar then.

If you are competant with a soldering iron you could do this in 15 mins. in which I mean not taking the ecu out of the car.

How hard is it to solder in a carrier, with a few pins, then plug the ship in, viola sorted?

I know its daunting for most, I wouldnt **** about with engine bits generally but I will have a go at the electronics, its what you feel comfortable with.

Speak to gunner, he will tell you the same thing.

The only thing you will need is a decent iron none of this crap pound shop rubbish and a solder sucker.

3 hours lmao, did you watch him do it, was this 2 hrs 45 watching eastenders omnibus, and 15 mins soldering the carrier in?

And while we are on the subject, yeah I have done it myself, not on my Williams the valver years back, no resin on that though, im guessing its the same resin that is on most pcb's, this can be cleaned off with a fibreglasss pencil at a cost of a fiver from http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Abrasive_Fibreglass_Pencil_3932/Abrasive_Fibreglass_Pencil_3932.htm but to be honest most places who deal in PCB's will have some type of solution to get off the resin.

Wayne Schofield remapped my Williams, and he had the carrier in within minutes, albeit none of this resin you talk about? Although I could be lieing.

richy
18-12-2006, 20:53
lies all lies rob! :wink: :P

FlamingMonkey
18-12-2006, 21:01
Yep thats all I tell :lol:

summeh
18-12-2006, 21:11
3 hours lmao, did you watch him do it, was this 2 hrs 45 watching eastenders omnibus, and 15 mins soldering the carrier in?

:lol: Just relaying what he told me. Said he had a hell of a time with it because of all the resin underneath the chip, which is not normally the case.

Wayne Schofield remapped my Williams, and he had the carrier in within minutes, albeit none of this resin you talk about? Although I could be lieing.

Lieing about what? Within minutes, no resin, or getting it remapped? :wink:

summeh
18-12-2006, 21:15
If you are competant with a soldering iron you could do this in 15 mins. in which I mean not taking the ecu out of the car.

How hard is it to solder in a carrier, with a few pins, then plug the ship in, viola sorted?

Ok then perhaps it could be done within 15minutes if there was no resin! but I don't think that is possible with having to deal with the resin as well. Agreed? :D

Gray
18-12-2006, 21:43
When i changed the chip on mine it was covered in that resin stuff but it just seemed to peel off quite easily for me?
I then used a desoldering tool from maplin... heated the pins and sucked the solder off from underneath, then simply soldered in a eprom holder, plugged the new chip in and i was away :D

and all that from a few GCSE soldering lessons 5years ago haha!

FlamingMonkey
18-12-2006, 21:59
Thats where I got my soldering experience from, School, well that and chipping xbox's and ps2's hahaha :P

Hulio
18-12-2006, 23:27
Hell with it, I'm going to do it myself. I'm going to get the tools and then practice on some old electronics first. I dont care if it takes 15 minutes or three days! 8)

summeh
19-12-2006, 02:23
Makes me wish I had done mine myself now :shock:

Let us know how you get on!

number1
03-01-2007, 01:12
i had my clio cup eprom fitted after i butchered an ecu trying to do it myself for £25! by tv repair shop not missed a beat!

Purple
03-01-2007, 02:54
Googled from tmo.com:
---------------
Remove the conformal coating. You might want to remove the conformal coating around the EPROM on both the top and the bottom of the board. This coating prevents oxidation and protects the surface of the board. It is plastic-like and will make a nasty smell when a soldering iron is applied to it. Acetone should remove it quickly. Don't get any on the EPROM label, as it might come off or lose its number stamping.

Desolder the EPROM. It would be best to use a full soldering station including solder sucker. The job goes quite quickly when you have the right equipment. We recommend at least using a Weller soldering station if you must resort to a hand-pump solder sucker and copper braid. Be certain to remove the solder from the bottom and top of the board before trying to pry the EPROM out - you might lift a copper pad otherwise.

Remove the EPROM. Be very careful on this step! Use a small screwdriver or pocket-knife to gently pry the EPROM out. Do not apply much force. If you encounter any resistance, stop and check for remaining solder holding the pins in. If you are not careful here, you will pop traces!

Cleanup. After removing the EPROM, inspect the board pads with a magnifying glass and use an exacto blade to clean up any solder flash on the pads. You also might want to use copper braid to soak up any residual solder, even if you used a solder sucker previously. Also, clean off the pins of the EPROM you just pried out.

Install socket. We use and highly recommend the high quality Augat gold-plated round-hole sockets (28 pins). We've never experienced any EPROM creep even though the socket has seen about 100 in-out cycles over five years. You could also use a ZIF (zero insertion force) socket if you expect to be changing EPROMs quite often.

You are done! At this point, if you like, you can spray on some conformal coating to cover what you removed. Be careful not to get any on the socket's metal contacts.

Hulio
03-01-2007, 04:14
Thanks for that! Still not got around to it. Other problems keep cropping up with my car.....

Hulio
03-02-2007, 23:35
Now fitted thanks to Kj16v!

2 live
03-02-2007, 23:39
mine had the resin on......wayne cleaned it off with brake cleaner(i believe) and an old tooth brush. took him 5 mins.

bass_direct
06-02-2007, 00:46
got mine fitted by local tv repair shop, don't think he removed green resin as it's still there.. car runs like shit now? keeps hesitating.. had he redone by the same person who did midge's (his one is fine) and car is still ****ed?

do i need a new ecu lol.??

bass_direct
06-02-2007, 00:46
had it redone**

damn edit button

drsmith1979
06-02-2007, 08:58
Anyone in the North West (warrington area) had their chip fitted locally? any members able to do it for me for some 'moola' in hand? only had the car a few days and already hate the way the rev limiter smacks you in the face when giving it some beans! haha.

kj16v
07-02-2007, 08:55
I'll do it mate. Hulio will vouch for me 8)

PM me

Hulio
09-02-2007, 03:25
Yes I can vouch for him, he did a good job on mine and had my ecu back to me in record time.

Hulio
18-02-2007, 15:27
Chip fiitted and works really well!

Daz.
18-02-2007, 15:50
How much fella for sticking it on?

Daz.
18-02-2007, 15:51
^^^^^