PDA

View Full Version : Horrible knocking, please no more money....

alex_blue16v
13-12-2006, 13:31
hello all, this being first post i should introduce myself and all that first.
my names alex im 19 and i drive a 1995 blue valver, which i love. most of the time.

Now the problem, my car has decided that having just spent £££'s on a new steering rack, track rod ends etc it is not satisifed and wants to cost me more money, i think. the problem i get is that everytime i boot it hard i can feel a thump in the footwell and sometimes hear it bang. The problem is worse in the lower gears. Tried putting the handbrake on,in gear and biting the clutch and it feels f***ing horrible, but the engine doesn't seem to be moving too much.
I've heard that it might be down to the dog bone mount becoming loose or broken so am gonna check that tonite, just wonderin if there was any other things i should check at the same time.
It has also just started making a single knock occasionally when i go right at a roundabout, when i start turning left and accelerating it knocks just once.

any help appreciated, cheers

alex :)

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 14:22
Sounds like mine. Could be all sorts. I've now had new top mounts, new ARB bushes and a new dog bone mount.

My conclusion is that it's a combo of knackered gearbox and more likely a knackered clutch which has rattled as long as I've had the car.

Garage seem to think it's the clutch as well.

Andyvalver
13-12-2006, 14:25
Could be something alot more simple like the exhaust knocking. Mine did it for months and i though my car was ****ed

Mr.AdamB
13-12-2006, 15:01
most probably ure bottom engine mount has come loose mine did. go check the bolts they are a pain in the ass to get at tho. also if ure top mounts are knackered or have been set wrogn ure exhaust mani will hit the back wen the engine moves alot.

but clio engine mounts generally are shit so get uprated 1s.

alex_blue16v
13-12-2006, 15:51
cheers for the help, i hope it isn't the gearbox or clutch cause i just had them both changed about 3 months ago. will have a look at all my bushes and that tonite and see how they look .

alex

Andyvalver
13-12-2006, 15:53
If you had them both changed its unlikley to be them. But it might be a loose mount as they would have possibly taken off to change the box ect..

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 15:54
Prolly mount/exhaust then.

alex_blue16v
13-12-2006, 16:15
im pretty sure its gonna be a loose mount because when i got it back after a week it had only two of the four subframe bolts left holding it together as the others had 'fallen' out.

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 16:16
:shock:

alex_blue16v
13-12-2006, 19:02
thats what i thought, immediately on the phone
" er excuse me you seem to have forgotten something. TO DO THE F***ING BOLTS UP"

:evil:

Daz0371
22-12-2006, 16:31
im pretty sure its gonna be a loose mount because when i got it back after a week it had only two of the four subframe bolts left holding it together as the others had 'fallen' out.

I had exactly the same problem, same symptoms.

It turned out to be missing a subframe bolt, The one near the steering rack on the passenger side.

Does it pull to one side at all under heavy right foot?

eternalife
22-12-2006, 17:24
also check which way the bolts for the dogbone mount are going - i had a similar problem.

The head of the dogbone mount bolts should be on the side of your downpipe from the manifold. The problem comes as the bolts are quite long - so if your bolt end is on the side of the downpipe it will knock.

To see if you have the same problem try changing into gears very smoothly - i.e put the clutch down before u decelerate/accelerate - if this stops the problem i am almost sure its just the dogbone mount bolts facing the wrong way.

Hope it works mate :)