PDA

View Full Version : Williams - 195's 35mm lowered vs 185's standard height

Daz.
12-12-2006, 23:31
What do you (and be honest) think the same cars abilities will be on those different set ups...

I have no long term/hard driving experience of a standard williams only a 16v, so my view point is on the modified example i.e mine as is:

+ Ability to change direction very quickly
+ keener turn in on smooth surfaces (and overall pace)
+ The speed that can be carried into and during a corner (mega 8) )
+ Cheaper tyres
+ Does improve on the look of a williams imo but only slightly

- Lack of adjustabilty on the limit
- Less warning of when the rears stepping out (very all or nothing like old pugs)
- Turn in (and general pace) on bumpy roads
- Day to day use of a lowered car (very bouncy and uncivilised)
- Tramlining

Anyone who has first hand experience of both would be a great help!

On the right day on the right road this car is fantastic - am I going to lose anything by going back to standard or is it all going to be there but presented in a different way?

bill.
13-12-2006, 10:03
From my experience, although i've not had the williams a year yet, but i had a valver for almost 6 years, my valver had koni adjustable suspension was lowered around 50mm and was on 16" rims with 205/40/16 yoko a520's, and i prefered that set up than the standard williams, it felt a lot more planted through the bends, it could be pushed a lot harder, although when it went,IT WENT, there was no body roll, and it handled like ****, absolutely loved thrashing through the twistys.

The williams has to much body roll when pushed through the bends and, and doesn't feel quite as planted as my old valver, so i fully intend to get it lowered on some coilovers, and go to a lower profile tyre, and a wider tyre, i realise this is not a fair comparison between my 2 cars as ones standard and ones modified, but its my 2 pence worth, hope its of some help, and i have no doubt my williams will once sorted, will handle like my valver did, or should i say better!

( this is my opinion, i know others will disagree, but its what you personally prefere really, and what your used to, and i'n not saying my williams habdles shit, far from it, just not up to scratch on my valver............................................ .yet!)

northy
13-12-2006, 10:12
what tyre size do you run daz ?

Mine will tram line on 185's just like it did on 195's. 185's for me have softened the ride off...noticed it straight away when i went for a drive.

If i had the choice - its 195's for me.

u33db
13-12-2006, 11:24
I think the 195 down 35mm will be better.

I'm not really into the subtles of the different profiles but there nowt fun about having your wing mirrors touch the ground so i'd vote for the lowered option.

Even if the 185 is the better tyre, -35mm on 195s would far outweigh that IMO.

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 14:17
I will be trying out the proper 185/55s as of this coming weekend but on a valver.

Depends entirely what you're after from a car. Handling isn't just about how fast you can go round a corner. I'd imagine the drop of 35mm will have more effect than the tyre size.

Daz.
13-12-2006, 18:13
Its on 195 gsd3s at the moment - I just can't make my mind up!!

Ideally if I was being ghey I'd keep the 195's for rim protection, it'd be cheaper and leave it lowered 'as is'

I'm just sick to death of scraping the bottom of the car over the drive and speed humps - and to be fair the ride is not what you'd call good as it is..

Driving fast is great but its rubbish when your not?!

oh I don't know :roll:

Maybe some custom poundage/height springs?

MattyH16valver
13-12-2006, 21:13
I recently bought a williams 2 a few weeks ago which is my second car to my hybrid. The willy is totally standard ride height, suspension etc on 185 wheels and the hybrid has been lowered about 60mm on FK coilovers with 195 wheels. I must admit that the hybrid does seem to handle better from first impressions, whether it's due to the car being lowered and it's on 195's I don't know, but like yourself, I'm fed up with the exhaust being knocked on humps and drives etc. I'm gonna consider totally replacing all the suspension parts on the williams next year and I'm pretty sure that it will be better than the hybrid. You always have troubles with camber etc on lowered cars and have to pay through the nose for laser allignment. Think I'll stick some 195's on the williams though when they need replacing anywway.

Zollo
14-12-2006, 12:13
I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the way it handles on the 185s and standard ride-height Daz. Still :twisted:

clowo16v
14-12-2006, 14:39
If the exhaust is scraping the ground when its -35mm its not hanging properly. Get it fitted properly and it won't scrape, it never did on my valver once I sorted it.

Matt

arj256
14-12-2006, 16:54
I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the way it handles on the 185s and standard ride-height Daz. Still :twisted:

Aye out of the box the standard setups on the 16v/Williams is very fun and decent handling just have to put up with the roll.

Daz.
14-12-2006, 22:23
If the exhaust is scraping the ground when its -35mm its not hanging properly. Get it fitted properly and it won't scrape, it never did on my valver once I sorted it.

Matt

Its not the exhaust as such - Its only 6 months old and was custom made - fits like a glove...

I know the bottom of the cats catching though thats what the scrape is on the tip of the drive - gonna try a decat and see if its still the same - hopefully it'll 'just' miss.

MattyH16valver
14-12-2006, 22:30
How much have u lowered it by Daz? Are'nt you putting standard springs etc back on anyway?

James_R
15-12-2006, 04:16
I've not had the experince of a standard 16v mines -35 on 195/45's and it's brilliant, I find the drive more fun in many ways than my 205 track car. But I'm bored of clearance issues so I'm swapping to 172 springs and wide track, can't decide if I should swap tyres to 195/50's now

Daz.
15-12-2006, 19:14
It was already done when I got it fella - Its not SLAMMED though :lol:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/Polished/HPIM0244.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/Polished/HPIM0246.jpg