PDA

View Full Version : "Wobbly" Steering On Full Lock...

Illusion
12-12-2006, 20:20
As the title says, any ideas what this could be?

I've changed the wheels to a different set and there's no change, wheel bearings maybe?

cliolord
12-12-2006, 22:05
doesn't sound like bearings mate, you would normally get a really loud rumbling before there is any play in the bearings. Have you jacked the front end up and put a leaver bar under the wheels?

VIPERONE
13-12-2006, 13:14
mines the same.

possible reasons:

track rods are valver ones, ball joints fubar,track rod ends fubar, loosebolts...loose hub nut

i'lllet you know when i find it

summeh
13-12-2006, 13:27
How would valver trackrods cause "wobbly" steering?

As I understand it they are slightly shorter, but as long as its tracked correctly, should be fine, no?

Rich
13-12-2006, 13:49
cos the rods themselves are shorter, thus meaning on full lock extra stress is placed on them and may cause them to slightly 'bend' causing the wobble. mine does it from time to time on uneven surfaces. used to do it a lot then i changed the track rod ends and its fine in most conditions.

summeh
13-12-2006, 13:53
I have GSF supplied "Chassis-parts" track rod ends on my williams. These are listed for the 16v and williams model (same product supplied for both by gsf). To be honest I can't say I have noticed any "wobble" on full lock.

wavy
13-12-2006, 13:58
I have GSF supplied "Chassis-parts" track rod ends on my williams. These are listed for the 16v and williams model (same product supplied for both by gsf). To be honest I can't say I have noticed any "wobble" on full lock.

thats where things get confusing
iv had same prob getting a starter motor
shop sells 1 item for both but i knew they should be 2 different parts

so unless they sell u the willy part it should be
it will be valver part

Rich
13-12-2006, 14:02

are your track rods willy ones though? the rod ends are the same between willy's and valvers, its the rods themseleves that are longer

summeh
13-12-2006, 14:36

are your track rods willy ones though? the rod ends are the same between willy's and valvers, its the rods themseleves that are longer

Ahhhh yes, I'm with you now sorry. I also just read the original post properly :wink: For some reason first time around I read "track rod ends", hehe.

Yes I have willy track rods.

Rich
13-12-2006, 14:45
its ok mate, i wont have you lined against the wall to be stoned this time :shock: :lol:

summeh
14-12-2006, 00:18
its ok mate, i wont have you lined against the wall to be stoned this time :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AmDaMan
14-12-2006, 15:59
mine did this really bad before I got it tracked.. now it's not so bad.

Illusion
20-12-2006, 22:46
mines the same.

possible reasons:

track rods are valver ones, ball joints fubar,track rod ends fubar, loosebolts...loose hub nut

Any luck?

This seems to be better getting worse.

AmDaMan
20-12-2006, 23:41
Did you get the tracking looked at mate?

Lee Keefy
21-12-2006, 01:05
sounds like tracked toe in.

Dont quote me though as no doubt someone will come in behind me and contradict me!

:roll:

Coops
21-12-2006, 01:07
sounds like tracked toe in.

Dont quote me though as no doubt someone will come in behind me and contradict me!

:roll:

your gonna settle in spot on! i gave up on diagnostic threads ages ago cuz am always wrong! :lol: :lol:

VIPERONE
21-12-2006, 19:00
mines the same.

possible reasons:

Any luck?

This seems to be better getting worse.

mine only does when i turn to the nearside, ive inspected most of the steering geometry and it appears to be fine, it was laser tracked and adjusted to 0'....im going to get the nearside hubnut airgun'd to the appropriate nm..then start changing things...

im quite sure it may be due tomy track rods, the tierod ends were wound out to an (imo) excessive length to get 0' on the laser....(however the car was ok for a few thousand miles)

Rich
27-12-2006, 23:32
mine also only does it when turning to the n/s on full lock. strange one.

Lunner
28-12-2006, 01:04
Had the same thing mate checked all the bolts, o/s ball joint bolts were loose and one n/s wishbone bolt was oose, tightened up ad more or less sorted

VIPERONE
17-01-2007, 04:39
still wobbles stupidly on n/s full lock.

:cry:

Rich
20-01-2007, 19:08
mine was sorted by tightening the nuts off the bottom arm bolts. :D

AmDaMan
20-01-2007, 19:17
Rich, i'd check that the loose bolts haven't elongated your wishbone holes

Rich
20-01-2007, 19:18
they wren't loose, just not murder tight. they were gunned up fully but not done with the breaker bar also. how would it elongate my wishbone holes anyway??

AmDaMan
20-01-2007, 19:28
When mine were loose it elongated the wishbone holes (assuming you mean the bolts that hold your balljoint to your wishbone).

If they are free to move about that's what they can do.

Rich
20-01-2007, 19:53
nope, i'm on about the ones that hold the wishbone to the subframe mate. i can see what you mean about the ones on the balljoint if they came loose though

AmDaMan
20-01-2007, 20:00
ahh right mate, how loose were they then? mine wobbles a bit didn't think of checking those. What were they torqued up to?

Rich
20-01-2007, 20:27
they werent loose, they were gunned up with a snap on cordless gun, just the torque on them wasnt enough so the torque setting was eeerm 'murder tight' with ther breaker bar :lol:

AmDaMan
20-01-2007, 21:53
lol cool mate i'll do mine then soon :D

Chris H
24-01-2007, 09:51
if everythings tight then it'll be the outer cv's.

Normally shows up after some gimp tracks it and as a result often on 1 lock its tighter then the other thus the cv's trying to pop apart.