PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a starter motor?

pat_986
11-12-2006, 12:17
I am going to need a new starter motor on my 1996 16v, as the solenoid is on its way out. :evil:
I have done some searches but not found anything.

Just wanted some advice really, if they are easy to fit, if there any problems I will face, Does the exhaust manifold need to be removed?

Also do I need to know anything about the part itself, you know like, "they often supply a motor from the 1.4 so watch out"

I have been quoted £68.77 from a local motor factor's, does this seem like an ok price?

Thanks guys

big hp
11-12-2006, 12:28
Not the easiest things in the world due to location. Can be done with manifold on. Only undo the bolts on starter and slide it out. 1st one i done i took whole bracket off. 2nd one i just undid 3 bolts on passenger side and 1 retaining bolt on drivers side IIRC.

summeh
12-12-2006, 02:07
if you are sure its the solenoid thats on the way out (easy to test) then you can buy a new solenoid for about 15quid from these guys: www.woodauto.com.

You will probably need to take the starter off and have a look see what codes are on it, and match to relevant solenoid on that site.

To test the motor just short across to the terminal.

pat_986
12-12-2006, 11:58
Thanks for your help guys.

TBH I'm not 100% it is the solenoid, but past experience tells me it is possible.

It started a few months ago, I would turn the key and nothing would happen, after 3 or 4 attempts it would engage the starter motor and the car would start.

I thought it might be doggie connections so I have taken them off and cleaned, this didn’t seem to help & now the fault is happening more and more.
The last time it happened it wouldn’t engage after 10 attempts, I fiddled with the wiring and it still wouldn't, then I hit the solenoid with a small hammer, and it started first time.

Also I don’t have a starter motor heat shield so I’m sure this isn't helping.

So what do you think, am I right in thinking it's the solenoid???

cliolord
12-12-2006, 22:12
i replaced the starter motor on my last 16v (phase 2)....removed the drivers side front wheel, hit ball joint out then removed the long drive shaft. Gave me loads of room and eneded up not being too hard to do. Obviously, get the top bellt housing bolts off from up stairs....removing the OE airbox (if you have one), battery and tray then its a piece of cake 8)

Justin..
12-12-2006, 22:29
i changed mine mostly from under the car. took 6 hours ... never again :shock: the bracketry on the back of the starter wa the worst bit

pat_986
13-12-2006, 11:42
i changed mine mostly from under the car. took 6 hours ... never again :shock: the bracketry on the back of the starter wa the worst bit

Great, Really looking forward to this now, outside on the Christmas holyday's, freezing my ass off!!

bass_direct
13-12-2006, 11:56
lol don't worry, i took mine out in 20 mins, but i did have a supersprint manifold!

summeh
13-12-2006, 13:33
Yeah changing a starter motor with a SS is definately a very easy job. Even with the standard willy cast manifold its much more easier than a valver.

I would definately recommend that you get a heat shield for the starter, this won't help things at all, as it will be subject to quite a bit of heat in that location, esp. when parked with engine running!

It is almost 100% certain that it is your solenoid that is knackered. This is a classic example of the solenoid on its way out/dead. How you have explained it up there is exactly as mine went. I just replaced the solenoid on mine for 15quid and was good as new. Changing the solenoid is dead easy, tis only 2 or 3 screws (depending on version). Although you still have to remove the start motor assembly from the bellhousing.