PDA

View Full Version : track tyre advice

bill.
09-12-2006, 02:48
Right people, my christmas present off the miss's is some wheels/tyres for the track, so i'd like some advice please, as in what tyres to get, what rubber should i get for track use?

The cheaper the better, as i need to save up for some avo coilovers still, people who track there car on a regular basis what tyres do you use? slicks/semi slicks or those road legal track tyres that you can get that are designed for track use?

should i get some road legal tyres that are good for the track or get some proper rubbeer? if so what?

any advice much appreciated,as i've got a 12.6sec 1/4 mile mk2 astra turbo to smoke :twisted:

also what size tyre will be best?

cheers folks :D

Martin
09-12-2006, 09:38
road tyres are pretty pish tbh compared to semi/slicks.....I'd go for some second hand slicks from one of northy's sources bargain at 20 quid a corner compared to 100 quid a corner for fancy track biased treaded tyres...

arj256
09-12-2006, 12:00
The toyo 888r seem quite good value for money for a best of both worlds tyre. Can get them for around £65 each

bill.
10-12-2006, 18:12
looks like its gonna be some 2nd hand semi slicks then by the sounds of it, especially at £20 a corner, got any details on where to get em from?

(northwest based)

cheers

Bill

stew
10-12-2006, 18:16
PM me or bayliss or northy if you want the number.

slicks seem to be the way forward, but having said that ive not run them yet...let alone even have some sitting at home yet!

i was happy enough with my semi slick yoko's, but just a bit soft and overheated. possibly wrong pressures.

road tyres = wank.

bill.
10-12-2006, 18:30
pm'd

cheers mate

bill.
11-12-2006, 01:24
just a thought after reading some threads on slicks, will my car be fine running slicks? only suspension mods will be some avo coilovers, no cage etc, back will be stripped out, will it cause any problems?

chances are i'll risk it anyway :roll:

stew
11-12-2006, 11:36
tbh mate, yeah slicks will put more stress on the car due to increased lateral G forces.

imo it will be fine, just be more willing to accept wear to wheel bearings (which are pish design imo anyway!), ball joints, track rod ends, brakes.

shouldnt have a big effect on the chassis or owt. get a cage tho - its a good option for a track car running slicks!

:twisted:

bill.
11-12-2006, 15:03
tbh mate, yeah slicks will put more stress on the car due to increased lateral G forces.

imo it will be fine, just be more willing to accept wear to wheel bearings (which are pish design imo anyway!), ball joints, track rod ends, brakes.

shouldnt have a big effect on the chassis or owt. get a cage tho - its a good option for a track car running slicks!

:twisted:

cheers stew, sounds like good advice that, i can live with a bit of wear and tear, on parts like that, i'm sure the fun factor will far out weigh the costs ( i hope :roll: )

Zollo
11-12-2006, 16:49
I think Northy's contact can only get full-on slicks, not semi-slicks? Either way, I'm not sure a sunroof'd Mk1 with no roll-cage and full slicks and stiff suspension is a completely good idea :?

If you want fun factor, slippy slidey road tyres are the way forward (and sideways) :D

Martin
11-12-2006, 17:03
What could possibly go wrong? :? :lol:

bill.
11-12-2006, 17:25
Mmmmmmmmmm, now this is where the doub't beggins to set in, been on track with road tyres before,to be honest they where very good, yoko's but going back some time now, but off watching some of the vids off here, and reading a few threads i'm reckoning theres a big advantage of running non road tyres on track, and was hoping to see a big improvement on the levels of grip and the handling, but some of you are scaring me off the idea :shock:

should i bite the bullet and get some?

northy
11-12-2006, 17:28
they are differant to drive on than road tyres....i wouldnt run them on my williams thats for sure.

in my case - they are more unsettled on the limit than a road tyre. One min they are ok then all of a sudden your fighting them.

The car does handle differantly which takes some getting used too

They take a while to warm up - the rears are like ice on the first few corners....

You can save a good 5 seconds a lap with slicks easy.

Zollo
11-12-2006, 17:30
Not trying to scare you off, as I'd be interested to see the results :P

Martin
11-12-2006, 17:30
The avons I use are really good tbh you can slide about but they don't cook like road tyres do after 3-4 laps.....road tyres are fine imo as long as your not trying to keep up with cars on slicks! lol

stan
11-12-2006, 17:34
should i bite the bullet and get some?

At £20-25 per corner its no real hardship if you dont like them.

As with most stuff in this area, YOU need to try a few different set-ups to find what suits YOU...people here may be commenting on their personal experiences, which may not necessarily reflect the situation as viewed by yourself.

bill.
11-12-2006, 17:47
i'm not concerned about the costs of them tbh, its more any damage thats likely to be caused to the car, ( not to assed about anything mechanical going wrong as thats all part of the game, and its just wear and tear, i've just read a few comments on creased roofs etc, which dont sound to good )

how longs it take to warm up a set? a couple of laps? more? or is it a case of floor it and see?

cheers for your comments, keep em coming

northy
11-12-2006, 17:54
how longs it take to warm up a set? a couple of laps? more? or is it a case of floor it and see?

in winter - do that and the first corner you get too you will be spinning around so quickly you will not know what the hells going on.

It took me a lap slow - then a second lap getting heat in when i did oulton in november....in the summer its one lap as the circuit is hot !

bill.
11-12-2006, 18:55

in winter - do that and the first corner you get too you will be spinning around so quickly you will not know what the hells going on.

It took me a lap slow - then a second lap getting heat in when i did oulton in november....in the summer its one lap as the circuit is hot !

cool, i dont think i'd bother in the winter so its one lap, then reel em in time :twisted:

bill.
11-12-2006, 18:57
The avons I use are really good tbh you can slide about but they don't cook like road tyres do after 3-4 laps.....road tyres are fine imo as long as your not trying to keep up with cars on slicks! lol

lol, thats made my mind up, gonna give the slicks a try guys!

cheers

richy
11-12-2006, 19:52
slicks are fine, when we did the test day in bayliss's hybrid it was cold and damp in the morning, only 2 cars running so no real dry line, on the straights nailed it and just went steady on the corners, after 2 laps was at full pace! easy 4sec+ a lap quicker, the laps were timed!

bill.
12-12-2006, 17:04

lol, thats made my mind up, gonna give the slicks a try guys!

cheers

The Avons that Martin uses are semi-slicks Bill not full slicks that northy uses.

Personally I'm gonna try semi-slicks as I reckon u'll see a vast improvement in grip levels with them BUT from seeing other cars on full slicks/semi-slicks they do seem to let go when unexpected.... :?

ah, right, well i suppose you may as well go the whole hog i reckon, i'll probably go for full slicks..........hardcore all the way :twisted: maybe :roll:

bill.
12-12-2006, 17:06
slicks are fine, when we did the test day in bayliss's hybrid it was cold and damp in the morning, only 2 cars running so no real dry line, on the straights nailed it and just went steady on the corners, after 2 laps was at full pace! easy 4sec+ a lap quicker, the laps were timed!

cool answer, sounds awesome, cant wait now!

Daz.
12-12-2006, 17:14
I'm sticking with 185 road tyres on a standard chassis 8)

I have no problem in attempting to keep up with a stripped slicked beast 8) 8)

bluenose
12-12-2006, 17:21
I'm sticking with 185 road tyres on a standard chassis 8)

All about the 2 8)

northy
12-12-2006, 17:25

What trackday was this then ???

Daz.
12-12-2006, 17:34

What trackday was this then ???

In the future I mean - When the 185s are on and the torsion bars reset (and more importantly the fact I'll be saving early this years for track days - no holidays, car purchasing or engagement rings this year!) :D

bill.
12-12-2006, 17:34
nah, i reckon you need tyres to suit to get the best out of a trackday daz

northy
12-12-2006, 17:39
i'd air on the side of caution with your first few laps on slicks bill, and then the same again once you start getting going. They are differant to road tyres.

bill.
12-12-2006, 17:45
no worries northy, i'll take it easy till i get used to em, cheers

Daz.
12-12-2006, 18:07
I'm awesome - I could run on pancakes and still own your ass :lol:

powell
13-12-2006, 00:20
the track you are going on will only let you use slicks if it is 100% dry it is 1 1/2 miles long and 35 feet wide. Will have to see if you can get that willy side ways going passed the astra it will be good but be careful and use protection!! won't like to see your willy get dammaged so just in case take precautions and get some track day insurance

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 14:34
Slicks are wank imo unless you have the car for them, like Northy.

Too much grip is a bad thing. Best and cheapest solution are hard wearing road tyres like P6000s or Firestone Firehawk fuelsavers.

They will be able to cope with track temps without breaking down like F1s and PE2s will. Ultimately they'll probably offer slightly more grip as well, as I've found F1s tend to just feel greasy once hot as they've started to melt.

Certainly my best tyres so far have been the Firestone's and they're cheap as.

northy
13-12-2006, 14:45
Slicks are w**k imo unless you have the car for them, like Northy.

Too much grip is a bad thing.

Got to dissagree with you there mate....

Bayliss and flan have proved otherwise.

Zollo
13-12-2006, 15:13
They will be able to cope with track temps without breaking down like F1s and PE2s will. Ultimately they'll probably offer slightly more grip as well, as I've found F1s tend to just feel greasy once hot as they've started to melt.

Not saying you're wrong, as I've never used them, but why aren't Firestone Firehawk Fuelsavers used on more high performance cars then? Better restistance to overheating...longer life-span...slightly more grip... :?

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 15:46

In what way? Martin proved quite effectively how too much grip can be bad, no offence Martin.

And Matt, I don't understand your point. I know people with bigger/faster motors that have had similar troubles with quality road tyres.

Zollo
13-12-2006, 15:55
Fair enough :)

I was just saying that it seems a bit strange that a cheapy budget tyre is better for track days than a high performance road tyre. You've got to admit, that's a bit weird!

northy
13-12-2006, 16:03

In what way? Martin proved quite effectively how too much grip can be bad, no offence Martin.

And Matt, I don't understand your point. I know people with bigger/faster motors that have had similar troubles with quality road tyres.

Martins was a exceptional case. If you watch the footage - no offence martin but the car wasnt handling correctly. It was pitching all over the place.

Flan ran slicks at oulton. the engine aside - the handling on standard williams track and springs with slicks was phenominal.

Bayliss runs slicks with no camber fine....but he now has a cage were martin and flan didnt ! In martins case - if he had a cage the roll may never have happened imo.

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 16:07
Not really when you think about it. Road tyres only get to a certain temp really, whereas on track teh temps endured by a tyre will tend to be higher as a result of constant abuse and rougher/grippier surfacing.

Long wearing tyres like P6000s etc work on the basis that they have a higher temperature resistance. Basically they're a harder compound. I'd still say that for a few hard laps the F1s/PE2s etc will provide more outright grip but once they've overheated they generally lose their excellent properties. I've re-tracked previously overheated F1s and they're turd even from cold, like they've lost some of their properties.

The hard ones however will provide less grip from the go but because they're operating at a nicer temp after a few laps and not breaking down their grip levels are more constant and they're not shagged next time out. Bit like how a Dyson never loses suction I suppose.

On the slicks front I've found that even tame driving on road tyres warped my roof so I'd hate to see what a mess slicks would make.

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 16:11
In martins case - if he had a cage the roll may never have happened imo.

Doubt it. Get a car sideways on slicks and a flip is perfectly logical since the grip levels are high and the momentum will take you over rather than slide.

stew
13-12-2006, 18:18
haha daz....you have a lot to learn. slicks are noticably faster round conrers than std road tyres. (espesh 185's!!!) difference is night and day, and no driver can make up for that.

martins roll - if you watch 1)not lowered enough imo, pitching like northy said dont help at all. 2)no cage 3)he actually catches the edge of the track with the rear wheel it looks like, and it pitches him over.

doubt you could replicate it if you tried!

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 18:39
haha daz....you have a lot to learn. slicks are noticably faster round conrers than std road tyres. (espesh 185's!!!) difference is night and day, and no driver can make up for that.

martins roll - if you watch 1)not lowered enough imo, pitching like northy said dont help at all. 2)no cage 3)he actually catches the edge of the track with the rear wheel it looks like, and it pitches him over.

1: I bet a real pro could get a road tyred car round a track in a time not far off most of us mere mortals could do in a slick shod car.

Daz.
13-12-2006, 18:59

PANCAKES I TELL THEE!!!! :lol:

stew
13-12-2006, 20:05

1: I bet a real pro could get a road tyred car round a track in a time not far off most of us mere mortals could do in a slick shod car.

yeah but no offence to daz or anyone else on the forum but i bet they are hardly michael schumacher material....

its clear the difference....see it quite well gaz_two v's bayliss @ oulton. both decent drivers, and bayliss is a fair bit faster in a 1.8 round the corners.

Swervin_Mervin
13-12-2006, 21:39
But wouldn't it be more satisfying to try and master driving the car you have as fast as it can go rather than relying on mods and slicks to go faster?

stew
13-12-2006, 21:48
cant be arsed typing a proper response to that...sorry

my car is a track car, setup to go fast round a track, and at the end of the day everyone wants more speed. to say you are happy with the way a car drives/handles etc is just not me (or a lot of other people!). human nature is to always want more.

all i was saying is that road tyres vs slicks on a track - the difference is huge, and not even the best driver on here could make up for that - pretty obvious and expected really. :wink:

2 live
13-12-2006, 22:15
hmmmm

flan iirc was runnin avo shox willy track and lowered springs with his slicks.and monster brakes.

me..coilovers..std brakes and road tyres. now if u watch the flan toying with 2 live vid..ul notice that there is minimal diffrence in cornering speeds.but its the pull out of the corners and the straights where he gets well away from me lol......where the power comes into it.

now id say both drivers are pretty much on a par, an i dont know how much speed flan could have carried thu the corners, but theres not a lot in the cornering ability between the 2.

but he did manage to stay on track without fallin off lol...but then the condition of my tyres by the time of the 2nd spin were well and truly past their best....was fun tryin to judge just how long after ud thrown it into the corner the car would decide to try turn in lol

richy
13-12-2006, 23:29
Normal road tyres are where it's at, none of this 'I've got to warm my slicks up' bollocks and changing tyres every 5 mins... :wink:

Atm I still use normal Toyo road tyres but I'll probably be looking into some of the Toyo 888 semi slicks for next year.

Not to sure on getting full slicks due to the stress on the car.

tell you what, you take that F7R out of the yellow valver and i will use road tyres :wink: on my valver :wink: :wink:

Bayliss
14-12-2006, 00:10

Martins was a exceptional case. If you watch the footage - no offence martin but the car wasnt handling correctly. It was pitching all over the place.

Flan ran slicks at oulton. the engine aside - the handling on standard williams track and springs with slicks was phenominal.

Bayliss runs slicks with no camber fine....but he now has a cage were martin and flan didnt ! In martins case - if he had a cage the roll may never have happened imo.

ok comment number 1 is bollocks "slicks are wank" slicks are not wank, they are good when wamred up and ran at the correct pressures. 2. slicks can be used on cars other than race cars (like northy's or scotts) as i've proved and many others, a mate of mine runs slicks on a bog standard sierra, so don't go filling me full of "slicks are shite on normal cars" bcos its a load of shite. 3. Road tyres are good until hot "FACT" slicks are shite when cold "first 1/2 to a full lap" of being on track, once heat is in them they stick to road like glue.

Any Questions???

Bayliss
14-12-2006, 00:43
Not really when you think about it. Road tyres only get to a certain temp really, whereas on track teh temps endured by a tyre will tend to be higher as a result of constant abuse and rougher/grippier surfacing.
Long wearing tyres like P6000s etc work on the basis that they have a higher temperature resistance. Basically they're a harder compound. I'd still say that for a few hard laps the F1s/PE2s etc will provide more outright grip but once they've overheated they generally lose their excellent properties. I've re-tracked previously overheated F1s and they're turd even from cold, like they've lost some of their properties.

The hard ones however will provide less grip from the go but because they're operating at a nicer temp after a few laps and not breaking down their grip levels are more constant and they're not shagged next time out. Bit like how a Dyson never loses suction I suppose.

On the slicks front I've found that even tame driving on road tyres warped my roof so I'd hate to see what a mess slicks would make.
that statement made at the top is the mistake your making, a normal road tyre isn't accelerating and then braking and then cornering at a higher speed than normal, so a road tyre will get alot more heat than a slick tyre bcos it takes longer to heat, why do u think they use slicks on likes of clio cup and cupra cup racing, bcos they have 10 times more grip and take alot more punishment than a std roadtyre. If a road tyre could perform as good as a track tyre or better why would slicks be used in competition or for general use on track days????

stew
14-12-2006, 01:57
i agree with bayliss.

and tbh either flans slicks must be pants, or wasnt pushing as hard as you 2live, coz there is no way std tyres can keep up on a dry track. the amount of grip is totally different. you see it clearly in the gaz vs bayliss vid from oulton. i know both drivers push hard, but you can see the extra speed that bayliss could carry into the corners.

:wink:

2 live
14-12-2006, 08:48
ex clio cup slicks i believe flans are

must be shit ;)

2 live
14-12-2006, 08:51
of course.ud have to ask flan how hard he was pushing.

i was fighting mine, throwin it about, where flan was jus nice n smooth. yes the grip was more and for longer periods of time, but at the right temp the road tyres can be good too.

semi slicks.....i will be trying these at a later date, so will be able to give my opinion of them speaking from experience.

northy
14-12-2006, 08:51
In martins case - if he had a cage the roll may never have happened imo.

Doubt it. Get a car sideways on slicks and a flip is perfectly logical since the grip levels are high and the momentum will take you over rather than slide.

lol no offence Mike - but your totally wrong on this subject !

I have had numerous spins in my race car - At oulton zollo did aswell (by the way he corrected that slide) !

So if what your saying is true - why havent i rolled it in the instances ive spun????

northy
14-12-2006, 08:53

must be s**t ;)

yes they are clio cup slicks....no offence 2live but flans was alot better in the corners. No tyre squeal and he still had sidewalls at the end of the day :lol:

2 live
14-12-2006, 08:53
i dont think hes saying that all cars.all the time if wearing slicks and get into a spin will flip.

a lot depends on the speed, surface, tyre comnpound etc etc etc.

2 live
14-12-2006, 08:56

must be s**t ;)

yes they are clio cup slicks....no offence 2live but flans was alot better in the corners. No tyre squeal and he still had sidewalls at the end of the day :lol:

read above mate.yes more grip and for longer periods...but the diff in speed was quite minimal.as above also...not sure on how hard flan was pushing.

sidewalls.....who needs sidewalls?? lol

northy
14-12-2006, 09:09
will find you some special tyres mate - that has tread on the sidewalls :lol:

Martin
14-12-2006, 11:11
Hmm interesting chat....

Not sure on a couple of things though....

My old hybrid was running avo shocks/springs and was very stiff setup indeed....the car did'nt pitch all over like a stnd willy.

How would having a cage have prevented the roll Northy? :?

I was 2 secs a lap faster round anglesey on avons in my hybrid than on road tyres in the nana...quite a lot on a 55/56sec lap....

I ran the avon's again at cadwell on stnd suspension and thought they were spot on.....would'nt mind a go on full slicks sometime

2 live
14-12-2006, 11:16
2 secs a lap could be down to a lot more than the tyres tho mate..knowledge of the track, track temps, conditions etc, diff between the 2 cars

northy
14-12-2006, 11:21
i belive a cage would of stifffened the shell up martin. It looked like it was pitching a bit from the footage i saw - Maybe the cage, slicks and extra light body work would of been a great combo.

But i based that statement on seeing your williams 2 run at Brands and cadwell.

The williams looked alot more sure planted than the Hybrid was.

Martin
14-12-2006, 11:31
Tbh I was going nuts at the end of the day at anglesey pushing on the ragged edge.....and I think I'm slightly more cautious now! Maybe thats the difference. lol

Aye there are a few variables 2live....but at Brands for example the difference between slicks and roads tyres was similar to the difference between 1.8 & 2.0....Mine zollo's & gaz's were going a similar speed to the slick shod cup cars....spec for spec a slick shod car is considerably quicker....not as much fun though maybe.

northy
14-12-2006, 11:39
8)

Zollo
14-12-2006, 11:47
My opinion on things, so not all correct :P ...

There is absolutely no doubt that slicks generate more grip than standard tyres. That's obvious. Saying that, as me and Gaz proved at Outlon, a car with road tyres is perfectly capable of keeping up with one on slicks.

Martin's roll was a combination of things, I reckon - a grippier tyre with stiffer, less flexible sidewalls, high suspension at the back than standard and therefore a higher COG than standard combined with the fact that it had all its weigh taken out from quite low-down and not much from up top, and perhaps a freak dodgy surface/angle of wheel combination.

As for what's best for Bill and his car - it's up to him to decide! But if it's his first track day, I'd be tempted to recommend starting off on normal road tyres and making a decision based on his own experience from that. :)

2 live
14-12-2006, 11:56
for once i think il have to agree with zollo

;)

northy
14-12-2006, 12:07
:shock:

northy
14-12-2006, 12:09
Saying that, as me and Gaz proved at Outlon, a car with road tyres is perfectly capable of keeping up with one on slicks.

Dont forget mine is a F7P engine. Not a williams one. Did u get a comparrison against scotts ????

Zollo
14-12-2006, 12:13
for once i think il have to agree with zollo
;)

Wahoo!

I knew it would happen sometime :wink:

Zollo
14-12-2006, 12:15
Saying that, as me and Gaz proved at Outlon, a car with road tyres is perfectly capable of keeping up with one on slicks.

Dont forget mine is a F7P engine. Not a williams one. Did u get a comparrison against scotts ????

Nope. I had a comparison with Bayliss though, and his freaky Valver seemed every bit as fast as my Willy down the straight.

Gaz, where are these videos.... :P

2 live
14-12-2006, 12:23
i agree with bayliss.

and tbh either flans slicks must be pants, or wasnt pushing as hard as you 2live, coz there is no way std tyres can keep up on a dry track. the amount of grip is totally different. you see it clearly in the gaz vs bayliss vid from oulton. i know both drivers push hard, but you can see the extra speed that bayliss could carry into the corners.

:wink:

wait for flan to come past at the end of me 1st lap lol....forget the straight bits and the pull outta the corners the extra power obviously helps with.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e313412a-a167-4a7a-bfd2-9836003726b2.htm

Swervin_Mervin
14-12-2006, 15:12
To clarify for Bayliss. When you state I was wrong about the road tyre thing above, I was writing that in response to Mr Zollo's comment that it was weird that shit road tyres could be better on track than good road tyres. I wasn't referring at all to slicks there.

With regard to Northy's comment on sliding on slicks, I thought I'd said that it's likely to happen on cars like Martin had. It's a combo of higher and softer suspension along with very little weight. Basically the horixontal force exerted when sideways will be transferred to some degree in to a vertical force through the soft suspension. This combined with the higher COG will then conspire to flip the car. Race cars obviously have lower/harder suspension so they have a lower COG and less force is transmitted vertically through the suspension.

I apologise if I didn't make that clear.

Swervin_Mervin
14-12-2006, 15:18
Although now I've just read martin had a harder setup, but the higher COG will be the clincher still.

Mr Zollo's last comment is perhaps the best of this discussion though.

Chris n`nic
14-12-2006, 15:58
I have no experience with slicks and have only really done one track day where I have really driven the car hard so this is just my opinion.

I found that with my std Contis they where ok at first then obviously as they warmed they became noticably grippier...then a few laps later they would drop off after getting too warm. Surely the advantage of using Slicks/semi slicks is that your optimum grip will be longer lasting...I suppose same with my brakes...they seemed pretty good for a while then the fade set in where as with some race pads they would have lasted longer at an optimum level.

Also if you noticed Martins car skipped round just before it flipped him...to me every time those tyres skipped then dug in, the tyre temp on that edge would have got much hotter very quickly and that was why it flipped him (along with the fact he was going far to quickly into that bend ;))

Chris

bill.
14-12-2006, 17:25
i've done one trackday before at silverstone on yoko a520's and to be honest they where ****ing awesome, but that was some time ago now, i plan on doing a few trackdays next year, so i might just start off with semi slicks and them move onto full slicks maybe thats the sensibl option here, although i will be buying some full slicks and for when i feel the need :twisted:

And like someones said they dont use them on the cup racers for nothing do they, they must be the bollocks, if there good enough for those boys there good enough for me!