PDA

View Full Version : need some advise on subframes and gearboxes please

lukebartlett2405
08-12-2006, 16:16
had a little accident in my hybrid hit a kurb which has cause the subframe to bend. decided i wanted to repair it and put a new gearbox in it whilst im doing the subframe I have sorced a new subframe and a referbed williams gearbox.

cant afford to have this all fitted by a garage so im going to attempt it my self i have changed engines and done quite alot of work before so i think i am capable of doing the work.

is there any guides on doing this work anywhere or can anyone give me any advise ?

cheers luke :D

Rich
08-12-2006, 16:26
haynes manual is adequate for changing the subframe and box mate :wink:

Clio_GTT
08-12-2006, 18:10
subframe is easy, four big bolts, takes time to remove stuff so it will drop but thats all easy. when the subframe is off do the gearbox, lots of bolts around the outside, make sure you've drained the oil and it should drop off easily. then put it all back together, expect it to take a good day

summeh
08-12-2006, 22:04
As said before the subframe is just 4 big bolts. 2 at the front are very easy indeed, easier if you have a big extension for a socket.

The rear 2 bolts are easy UNLESS the retaining clip that sits on top is rusted through/away. This normally stops the head of the bolt/nut (can't remember which) from spinning as you try to undo it.

If it is rusted through, which it most certainly will be, enjoy yourself trying to stop the top of the bolt/nut from spinning. Access is not easy, as its contained within a cage suspended from the chassis rails.

I have done 2 subframes now and both times these "clips" have been rusted through. At least once we have had to grind off both bolts.

Coops
08-12-2006, 22:08
ring spanner round the top where clip has rusted to hold nut, spanner will lock against sub frame stopping it spinning. massive breaker bar n socket, snap the bolts in half, job done! stuff grinding it! :P

lukebartlett2405
09-12-2006, 11:56
thought it would be harder than that !

what about wishbones how do i take them off ?

thanks for all the advise :D

summeh
09-12-2006, 12:24
ring spanner round the top where clip has rusted to hold nut, spanner will lock against sub frame stopping it spinning. massive breaker bar n socket, snap the bolts in half, job done! stuff grinding it! :P

You make it sound so easy :wink:

lukebartlett2405
10-12-2006, 20:59
are there any bushings i should replace when changing the subframe ? :?