PDA

View Full Version : BB Tuning low temp thermostat

ollie16v
07-12-2006, 11:53
Just was about to buy the above off the BB tuning website and found they wanted £9.40 postage for it!

Is there anyone else who does one?

northy
07-12-2006, 12:17
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492

ollie16v
07-12-2006, 12:56
Thanks mate but that dosnt really answer my question! Do you think i should invest in both then? :?:

Illusion
07-12-2006, 13:01
I'm currently using the standard one, come summer though I will change over to the low-temp as these cars overheat like a mother...

ollie16v
07-12-2006, 13:08
I'm currently using the standard one, come summer though I will change over to the low-temp as these cars overheat like a mother...

May just get both but thought the postage was a rip off just for a thermostat! My fan motor has packed in so getting the lot done!

MatBrown
07-12-2006, 13:30
Just was about to buy the above off the BB tuning website and found they wanted £9.40 postage for it!

I can do you one for £5 posted.

Mat.

ollie16v
07-12-2006, 13:37

Mat.

I have just ordered a low temp thermo and switch doh! :?

kj16v
07-12-2006, 13:57

No they don't!

Illusion
07-12-2006, 14:12

No they don't!

Your lucky then fella, round my way i'm constantly stuck in traffic and the car is forever over heating. The Willy was overheating yesterday infact.

northy
07-12-2006, 14:29
sounds like your fan isnt kicking in Illusion !

vts_saxo
07-12-2006, 15:19
Mine sits in edinburgh city centre traffic for hours in summer and keeps cool.

summeh
07-12-2006, 21:27

No they don't!

Your lucky then fella, round my way i'm constantly stuck in traffic and the car is forever over heating. The Willy was overheating yesterday infact.

If your car is in good working order then it shouldn' be overheating. Even if stuck in traffic, as the fan should be kicking in.

How far up does your temp guage go?

david932
07-12-2006, 22:22

Mat.

does that come with a gasket mat??

if so i'll take it!

:D

donsrno1
07-12-2006, 22:30
as has been said it shouldn't overheat aas long as everything is working properly. They do seem to run quite hot in general though tbh.

kj16v
07-12-2006, 23:44
Yeah they run bloody hot, but for a change these particular engines have apparently been designed to cope with it. They have sodium filled exhaust valves, a huge radiator, and an auxillary water pump to cool the engine after it's been switched off.

So long as your cooling system's in good order it should never over heat no matter how hot the weather.

Maybe you need to give the coolant system a really good flush out or replace the rad or something.

Laine_16v
07-12-2006, 23:53
Your car will only overheat in the summer if it has a poorly maintained cooling system, both my valvers have had no trouble in full on summer temperatures sitting in trafffic.

MatBrown
08-12-2006, 02:19

Mat.

does that come with a gasket mat??

if so i'll take it!

:D

No mate, sorry.
They are only about a £1 from renault.

Mat.

Purple
08-12-2006, 02:42
I thought radiator thermostats in cars were to restrict the radiator water flow when the water is cold; so as to get the water and engine temperature up quickly. But once the water temperature reaches the thermostat's rated temperature, the thermostat opens up completely and allows unrestricted water flow. As such, I wouldn't have thought thermostats would play a big part in the car's overheating, unless it's stuck at restricted flow all the time.

Whereas the radiator fan-switch is critical in keeping the car from overheating. If the fan cuts in at too high or don't cut in at all, it won't take too long for the rad to boil over.

But generally, as mentioned earlier, you need to have the whole water cooling system in good condition to keep the temperatures in check.