PDA

View Full Version : Question for Cliorod-re tyres

merlin
05-12-2006, 22:42
Rod as you know i may use this clio i have got for road rallies,the thing i wont to know is have you ever used any of these tyres for night rallies,
Yoko 185/60/15 AO35 fitted on front and Dunlop SP85s rear, a guy on the rally forum says the rear sticks like shit to a blanket even in the wet,just wonderd if you had used or new anything about them thanks.

Ken

cliorod
05-12-2006, 23:39
Merlin,
I have not done a road rally in a competive car for ages :oops: .I did the Garstang event in :twisted: :twisted: June in the Williams.
My forte is stage rallying, :wink: :wink: However,when doing the "Tour of Mull" ~~ closed roads.I got Tony Tyres (Tyres South Shore) to advise.We went with a soft side of medium Kuhmo Ecsta V70a,these worked brilliant in the dry,the back staying put.When the rain came :cry: :cry: He put a softer compound on the front and "cut" extra grooves in :lol: :twisted: :lol: ~~ absolutely the dogs gonads ~~ my times stopping very much the same on the repeat stages :wink: :wink: .
www.britishrally.co.uk if you go on there there is a link on road rallies ~~ people are always asking about tyres.I have seen crews appear on events with Michelin gravel tyres ???? :shock: .Especially if there are a lot of whites/rough roads.I found Yokohama tyres ok in the dry but not so good in the wet,never used Dunlops,except in the good old days (1980's) :oops: on road events,when the choice was Avon "Turbospeeds" or Dunlop SPR3 :oops: :oops: :oops: ,Excuse me while I get my coat :oops: :oops:
I hope this helps,but as ever it is down to cost,why pay the earth for some good tyres,if you are only going to do the odd event,unless you can afford spare rims etc,and take the rally tyres off,to use your car for running around.
Rodders.

merlin
06-12-2006, 00:04
Thanks Rod,i got the info about tyres of British rally forum a guy called
hot nav,he rallies a clio on road events and said he only uses these tyres as he gets very good results,i dont care how much i have to pay as i only want the best,i dont intend to use the car for daily use only rallies i have not used it for 8 weeks so that shows you the use it will get,thanks Rod.

Ken

cliorod
06-12-2006, 00:18
No Probs Ken,Wherabouts does this guy rally over your way,because I cannot remember a Clio over here ~~ North West Lancashire :cry: :cry: Not that it matters.Have a chat with Tony Tyres from Tyres South Shore,mention me and he will no doubt give you some discount :wink: :wink: Rod.
Let me know what events you are gonna do ~~ I will come out and marshall if they aint too far away :wink: :wink: .
Will get you a entry on the RIBBLE VALLEY rally 3rd/4rd March 2007 ~~ I am clerk of Course and entries secretary :wink: :roll: :wink:

merlin
06-12-2006, 01:17
Dont know the guys name rod he replied to a post i put on the British Rally forum,think it might be Wales area user name is hot nav,there is a guy over here at York rallies a 16v clio called Ralph Jackson hes just done the Beaver Rally last ANCC round finished ok,i was looking to get out for start of next year but cant see it now as the fella that was going to navigate has now had to pull out so will have to get a new navy,and as you know rod nobody wants to navigate these days on night rallies not over here anyway, ill sort it one day, thanks Rod.

Ken