PDA

View Full Version : 172 engine into a valver

tombambury
05-12-2006, 19:24
Ok I have an internal gearbox problem on my valver and appear to need to a new one. Going to take the engine out, however was thinking it may be worth fitting a new engine while im at it as the current one has seen 129k.

How hard is it to fit a williams engine and gearbox, and how hard is it to fit a 172 engine and gearbox.

I have no idea on the engine and gearbox mounts on this or whether anything is interchangeable.

p.s dont really want to spend more than £500 so the word custom cant cum into this.

BigBoreBri
05-12-2006, 19:34
Dont think <£500 will get you very far, F4R is out the window straight away and most willy engines go for over £500 although it is a fairly straight swap for a F7P...

tombambury
05-12-2006, 19:49
ahh will have to be nother valver box for now then and keep the engine. I'm tempted to buy a williams engine, but this valver was supposed to just be a run around for the winter, while I further tune my pulsar. Love spending money on these little cars though, and there so cheap to mod compared with the Pulsar.

Daz.
05-12-2006, 22:13
I've always pondered the F4R route....

BigBoreBri
06-12-2006, 00:33
Its been done but its not the most viable option, the top engine mount is completly different and would require manufacturing, probably a similar story to the top gearbox mount. Once your past actually fitting the damn thing the engine height due to the inlet manifold becomes an issue so your left with very few options but TB's, also there's the exhaust to take into account and various pipework.

Then on top off all the mechanicals there would be some hefty electrical work, the early F4R may have avoided a UCS but either way the later ones had one... immobilizer, fly-by wire throttle, speed sensors etc etc... :roll:

I think ive got a headache now, im off to bed :bounce:

Daz.
06-12-2006, 00:40
your left with very few options but TB's

Oh now thats a shame

:twisted:

Clio_GTT
07-12-2006, 19:12
http://www.clio-williams.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9866&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=moteur+rs+dans+clio+16s&start=40

Joel
07-12-2006, 19:21
I'm Banned from "clio-williams" Shite :D

J o n
07-12-2006, 20:04
F7 is a better engine anyway, more tuning potential

kj16v
07-12-2006, 20:12
Cordon Bleu, Rodney. It's in French!!

Shame, I was going to paste some info for you.

Couldn't you get over the make-the-engine-even-more-unreliable-by-wire system with after market engine management? It must be possible to replace the throttle stepper motor with a normal throttle quadrant surely??

DaveH
07-12-2006, 20:20
If you just swapped the whole lot (standard loom and ecu) there shouldnt be a problem with running fly by wire etc as theryre ecu controlled anyway, as long as the ecu has all of its lives and earths theres no reason why it cant operate as it normally would.

As BigBoreBri says though it isnt the most viable option as its a lot easier to tune the f7r

northy
08-12-2006, 08:50
Hill power are doing / have done this conversion to a williams 1.

Clio_GTT
08-12-2006, 11:16
Cordon Bleu, Rodney. It's in French!!

Shame, I was going to paste some info for you.

Couldn't you get over the make-the-engine-even-more-unreliable-by-wire system with after market engine management? It must be possible to replace the throttle stepper motor with a normal throttle quadrant surely??

the mk1 172 runs a cable operated throttle, use those bits 8)

and theres a dutch company that will remove the immobiliser from the ECU.

theres not much else standing in the way, it pretty much bolts straight in on F series mounts, use the F4 ecu and loom, just splice that into the F7 interior loom, use a williams gearbox for the cable operated speedo and thats pretty much it bar a few custom bits to make it all work

VIPERONE
08-12-2006, 12:22
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

here you all go:

http://www.clio-williams.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9866&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=moteur+rs+dans+clio+16s&start=0

Plattsy
08-12-2006, 12:26
those wheels and the mk2 dash are horrid!! surely its much easier than it looks with those pics and ya dont need all that rubbish

matty w
09-12-2006, 12:53
he probably had a complete donor car and would of fitted the dash so all the looms would go straight in,you cant really say its not as tuneable as the the willy lump when it makes 170bhp out of the factory with all the restrictions of a modern car