PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Re-Shelling/registration Q

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 15:36
If one was possibly going to re-shell ones spangly mechanical bits in a williams shell how is the registration of the vehicle/s affected?

Basically planning to put my 16v bits on to a tidy willy shell. I tried asking teh DVLA but they were totally inept and useless.

So could L588 be re-assigned a new chassis no. without going on a Q-plate?

or

Would it get the new chassis no. but have to go on a Q

or

Could the donor williams be re-registered as a 1.8 16v?

Don't want to end up paying williams insurance for what will amount to a 16v without a sunroof.

northy
04-12-2006, 16:19
questions.

1.why ???
2. does the williams shell still have id with it and v5 ?
3. you want to fit all your running gear onto the williams but you want it registered as a valver ???

Its alot of hassle for it nolonger to be a williams......dobs has a valver without sunroof for sale....makes alot more sense.

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 16:31
1. Cos my shell is knacked
2. yes
3. yes

I don't actively want to go out there and put valver bits on a willy for the sake of it. If the shell isn't sold it'll likely be scrapped. Makes sense to use it for my parts.

northy
04-12-2006, 16:35
i'd say buy a williams / valver - exchange your good bits and sell the valver for what ever u can.

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 16:38
That's the plan :wink:

northy
04-12-2006, 17:10
I ment ' and keep the engines' - then u wont need to reregister anything.

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 17:19
Ah right. Managed to scour the net and find some info now, on an MG site.

Seems it will indeed wither be on a Q or reg'd as a willy.

Looks like a change of plan then.

stew
04-12-2006, 18:54
whats wrong with a Q plate?

surely its the same as a hyrbid. i just changed the engine size on v5 doc and kept it as a 16v shell.

im confused! :?

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 18:59
I was going to be doing the opposite though stew. Willy shell, 1.8 bits. So I'd have been ppaying £££ on insuring it as a Q-plate or £££ insuring it as a willy.

stew
04-12-2006, 19:12
ahh... i see.

why the opposite? dont make sense to me! :twisted:

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 19:21
Cos willy's are over-rated.

Nah.

I just like the revs-or-nothing nature of the 16v and it's less stable cornering.

matt uk
04-12-2006, 19:46
so can you register a new chassis number to the reg of a car?

or can you only register a new engine number?

does the plate always have to stay with the chassis, the cant be seperated?

im confused

Swervin_Mervin
04-12-2006, 20:44
Plate can be moved yes. But essentially once a shell has been registered once it cannot be re-assigned a new chassis no.

2 live
04-12-2006, 21:18
but then there is the ...dependant on how much of the original vehicle is used...if over 75% of major components.engine suspension etc, are used from the old car.....the new car can be registered as the old one....

bit like a kit car really........some use enough parts of the donor car to warrant the reg of the donor vehicle upon registering it.....some go straight to q...which u could get off ....years ago mind.......by using irish plates....dont think u can now.

Zollo
05-12-2006, 09:20
Couple of options...

1. Re-register the Williams as a 1.8 and see what that does to the insurance.

2. Just take the VIN plates off both and swap them over. Not desirable, I know.

3. Stick some very lairy cams in the Williams to get rid of all the low-down power and put some skinny little 165 tyres on to make it less stable?!

stew
05-12-2006, 12:21
or just have a williams! much better option than the 16v. :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2006, 15:18
Couple of options...

1. Re-register the Williams as a 1.8 and see what that does to the insurance.

2. Just take the VIN plates off both and swap them over. Not desirable, I know.

3. Stick some very lairy cams in the Williams to get rid of all the low-down power and put some skinny little 165 tyres on to make it less stable?!

1. I don't think a chassis no. can be re-registered as something else Matt. If the chassis no. had never been registered in the first place then it can be registered as whatever you like virtually. So basically the car would have to be registered as a williams with a 1.8 conversion.

2. Dodgy b'stard. :wink:

3. The willy is engine-less.

I now have a much better plan that might take a few months to come to fruition though. Should see most of you willy boys off though. :twisted:

Zollo
05-12-2006, 17:29
So basically the car would have to be registered as a williams with a 1.8 conversion.

That's what I meant. Like what them Hybrid boys do, but the other way round.

Should see most of you willy boys off though. :twisted:

Do tell! :twisted:

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2006, 19:07
I'm saying nowt 'til it happens. It'd be a few months off yet but hopefully sortedbefore next summer. If I say owt it'll prolly fall on its arse. :P