PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Problems

eternalife
29-11-2006, 22:25
My gearbox was changed in 2000 by renault at 61k.
6 Years later on the car is now at 76k.

Since I have owned the car - there has always been a problem with 5th Gear Popping out. It had a tendency to pop out again and again - after it had popped out once. This I thought was due to the dogbone mount and therefore got one from Hill Power.

Well, today I had my first motorway drive since I had the Dogbone done and after about 15miles in 5th gear it popped out. So i drove in 4th for sometime and then put it bk in 5th and all seemed not too bad.

Then on my way home - 5th Gear Kept popping out so i decided to drive most of my 50 mile journey in 4th. Then as I was on a dual carriageway I thought I would try 5th gear again. As i Had the clutch down and the 5th gear selected i could feel something in the gearstick and then after i also felt the gear engage. Again shortly after it popped out.

So tried selecting 5th again a little while after - Upon doing this all the 5th gear did was crunch and whine - and ultimately due to myself trying to select it got stuck in 5th gear with no drive what so ever. After a bit of jiggling with the Gear lever I managed to get out of 5th and select 4th gear. Now the 5th Gear will not engage at all.

I must add - although I cannot select 5th Gear - all other gears (including reverse) are perfect in their operation and have never caused any problem what so ever.

I am trying to work out what exactly is wrong - and the most probable solutions.

Any help will be much appreciated.

wavy
29-11-2006, 22:45
when i bought my Williams it popped out of 5th on the drive home
it lasted about a month then i lost more gears
i was thrashing it through the gears when it finally went tho
it might have lasted a lot longer ?

McPikie
30-11-2006, 00:03
Sounds like the synchro on 5th has ****ed. Thought it was usually 3rd that went first.

Try draining the gear oil and seeing what condition it's in, if it has any metal shards etc etc

eternalife
30-11-2006, 12:20
Yeh it would seem as though the synchro in 5th has gone - either that or a problem with the actual gear selector.

I know I cannot confirm the state of the 5th synchro at the moment - but when trying to put it into gear and how it felt just before it went - it 'feels' as though the 5th gear is not lying perpendicular to its cylindrical axis any more. Feels dislodged. I thought someone might have experienced the same situation before.

Also, if anyone has any ideas in regards to getting the box rebuilt or just purchasing another one - I have no idea of price comparisons etc etc - any advice much appreciated.

clowo16v
30-11-2006, 15:16
Have you tried double de-clutching into 5th see if it will go in?

Matt

eternalife
30-11-2006, 17:09
Have Not tried double declutching as of yet - would give this a try but dont want to destroy the clutch as well as the gearbox :)

In total honesty - 5th Feels like it no longer spins - as mentioned before - i think it no longer resides properly on its cylindrical axis.