PDA

View Full Version : Group buy wheel refurb

KingStromba
30-04-2005, 12:31
Post your name below if you are 100% certain that you want your wheels refurbed. If so i will locate the best place. If we get enough people interested i will try to negatiate 20 to 25 quid a wheel.

Ass name to list:

King Stromba

willy55
30-04-2005, 13:32
me definatly im from the midlands and ive got five that need doing

Mark_Ritchspeed
30-04-2005, 15:12
Will that include sand-blasting or just flatting and repainting?

Enid
30-04-2005, 17:19
I'm in.

Fred
01-05-2005, 02:28
who you planning on using king???

(already assuming its not me, as i don't meet you standards!!)

summeh
01-05-2005, 03:38
i'd be in for that price

scotte666
01-05-2005, 08:54
yea id be up 4 it

KingStromba
01-05-2005, 10:12
I use anyone who can give the following:

Correctly prepped wheels (that i will inspect)
Correct colour (i have the speedline code)
Correct laquered silver rim

If enought people are interested i would say it may be as low as 20 to 30 quid a wheels, but i want a prprer job. When i know kinds of numbers i will start tolook around.

I will probably prep my own wheels so i know that all of the corrosion is removed and they are correctely surfaced for painting.

Fred i have nothing against you. Get the colour right, paint the wheels instead of powder coating and laquer the rim and the jobs a gooden

Mark_Ritchspeed
01-05-2005, 10:24
We normally do alloys for £30 each, if all they need is prepping and painting. Thats 2 coats of etch primer, approx 3 coats of filler primer, 3-4 coats of 2-pack base coat and 2-3 coats of laquer. If needs be the rim is given a very light skim on the lathe to get a perfect finish before laquering.

If they are particularly bad though, we have to get them sand-blasted which costs us between £15-20 per wheel. Does make a huge difference to the finish though when starting from scratch.

Allan
01-05-2005, 20:50
yup i would deffo be in for it !
my valver wheels are in need of a refurb

summeh
01-05-2005, 21:43
get some willy wheels put on there mate :D

Carlos
03-05-2005, 10:21
I've got a set that want a re-furb. i will def be up for this, King do you think it will be befor fcs??? if not i will sort my own re-furb out.

If anyone is after a set of willy wheels to send for re-furb i also have a set for sale!!!

Do you have to take off tyres for a re-furb???

KingStromba
03-05-2005, 10:32
Yes tyres off

dannyt
03-05-2005, 11:52
Could be tempted by this, there is a different colour i might be after though!!!!

J o n
03-05-2005, 12:41
Could be tempted by this, there is a different colour i might be after though!!!!

Bright green?

dannyt
03-05-2005, 15:25
you got it in one jebus....good guesser! :wink:

jaspa
03-05-2005, 22:58
What is the speedline colour code ?, Please.
Had a code in the past but could not get anywhere to recognise the code.

KingStromba
03-05-2005, 23:13
LOL, yeah like im gonna hand it out :D

scotte666
03-05-2005, 23:30
any news on these refurbs yet rob?

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 07:58
No, They all seem expensive, seeing as you get the wrong colour anyway.

dannyt
04-05-2005, 11:10
Id be interested in a group buy with Mark@Richspeed, if he gets up some pictures off his work!!!

As his prices are already really low and with a group buy might even go lower, depending on if you need them sand blasting that is!

Mark let us know what you would charge for everyone fella!

Jan
04-05-2005, 12:11
count me in as well please guys :D

Illusion
04-05-2005, 13:48
Stromba, who are u planning on using - whats exactly wrong with Fred's refurbs?

Or is he the company thats gonna be be used?

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 14:01
Well to start the colour is wrong.

For seconds the rim is wrong

And for thirds, after getting the rim and the colour wrong, he isnt cheap.

At £50 a wheel i expect the right colour and the right rim.

J o n
04-05-2005, 14:43
Well to start the colour is wrong.

For seconds the rim is wrong

At £50 a wheel i expect lip service and a damn good bumming!

:shock:

Jan
04-05-2005, 14:48
it's all about the rim.. :lol:

Rudders16v
04-05-2005, 14:54
Just out of interest, how should the rim be? I've got a silver rim, but its smooth. Shouldn't it have a texture to it, as it's diamond cut?

I do want mine refurb'd but can't justify the cost at the moment

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 14:57
If you ever come round my way shaun i have an original brand new alloy i can show you.

The rim is very shiny. Like a cd

BRUN
04-05-2005, 15:17
id suggest Pro Clean in Prescot, Merseyside

very well known to do a good job

if you do ring them and they are arsey on the phone with you, dont take it personally, from what ive heard they can afford to turn away business so they dont seem that bothered, but the quality of work is the exact opposite

2 live
04-05-2005, 15:30
lol he wont come oooop north for it mate lol

iv suggested countless times

BRUN
04-05-2005, 15:35
well, you know how good they are

i dont think anyone in the north west ever uses anyone else...

FlamingMonkey
04-05-2005, 15:43
I'm in the NW and I didn't use Pro Clean :P

dannyt
04-05-2005, 16:18
:P i did!

willy55
04-05-2005, 18:21
so where is this going could really do with them for fcs and times runnig out

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 18:50
Casnt rush this pal, i want mine done properly first time.

Fred
05-05-2005, 18:56
Well to start the colour is wrong. - powder coat and "wet spray" are 2 completely different finishes

For seconds the rim is wrong - well if you get 1 tiny bit of dirt/dust/grease on the rim before its lacquered you're ****ed, hence why i DON'T lacquer it! then you can buff them until your heart is content with autosol

fair enough, i can't please mr King, but if anyone wants their wheels doing before FCS ring me on 07769712624

Fred
05-05-2005, 18:58
pic for mr King to slag off

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/Fredmrsclio/beforeafter.jpg[/img]

summeh
05-05-2005, 19:15
pic dont work mate ?

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 19:16
Cant even get the pics to work :roll:

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 19:20
Well to start the colour is wrong. - powder coat and "wet spray" are 2 completely different finishes

For seconds the rim is wrong - well if you get 1 tiny bit of dirt/dust/grease on the rim before its lacquered you're ****ed, hence why i DON'T lacquer it! then you can buff them until your heart is content with autosol

fair enough, i can't please mr King, but if anyone wants their wheels doing before FCS ring me on 07769712624

You can please me, just get the colour right, use paint not powder coat, prep the wheels properly and get a silver rim cut and laquered

FATBOY
05-05-2005, 19:26
no arguements please!!!! and king stop being picky!!!!

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 19:32
Look the colour is wrong. I dont want people to spend 200 quid thinking they are getting wheels i wont laugh at

Mark_Ritchspeed
05-05-2005, 19:57
Was my colour the wrong code that I pm'd you?

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 19:58
I dont know, i assume so as it wasnt a speedline code.

Enid
05-05-2005, 20:10
KS, did you say you had a brand new speedline?? If so could you do me a favour and take a high res good quality picture of it please. Im gonna start looking through the local refurbers here and see what they can offer but I need a good pic to show them exactly what is required. Cheers.

Mark_Ritchspeed
05-05-2005, 20:10
Well I dont know either. :roll:

To be fair we honestly couldnt do it any cheaper than I have quoted and still get a good standard of finish. It really wouldnt be profitable at all.
£100 per set without blasting (which not all wheels need)
£150 per set with blasting.

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 20:11
At 150 a set id have mine done but id need to know the colour was right, the rim was shiny and laquered.

Mark_Ritchspeed
05-05-2005, 20:15
In all seriousness.

Give me the code. As the only one I have is the one I gave you the other day which will probably be right but I wouldnt be prepared to stake my left testicle on it.

big hp
05-05-2005, 22:13
I know a guy who works for a company who scans paint to find the colour. He has also said he can then produce the colour. I'll find out costs involved and get a wheel done to bring to FCS. Could then possibly provide you with the paint to get your wheels done wherever you choose.

Fred
05-05-2005, 22:25
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/Fredmrsclio/beforeafter.jpg

if that doesn't work then http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/Fredmrsclio/beforeafter.jpg

paint isn't as strong as powder coat, thats why i don't like to use it

Fred
05-05-2005, 22:28
show me some pics of your new wheels then mr King

Martin
05-05-2005, 22:33
Here's a genuine reno wheel
http://img177.echo.cx/img177/1133/willywheel2ry.jpg

Slithers
05-05-2005, 22:40

if that doesn't work then http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/Fredmrsclio/beforeafter.jpg

Fred, even though i dont like you very much, i must admit them wheels look good.

Fred
05-05-2005, 23:15

Fred, even though i dont like you very much, i must admit them wheels look good.

thankyou, why don't you like me then?????

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 23:34
Welding may be stronger than painting, but if it gives you the wrong colour why do it?

The paint on my original wheels lasted a good 5+ years. I say use paint.

Or is the real reason you dont prep the wheels right so you can just layer on the powder coat?

Fred
05-05-2005, 23:47
Welding may be stronger than painting, but if it gives you the wrong colour why do it?

The paint on my original wheels lasted a good 5+ years. I say use paint.

Or is the real reason you dont prep the wheels right so you can just layer on the powder coat?

Welding??? erm???

2 days of hand prep work to remove pit marks and corrosion?? good enough for you???

If you knew anything about powder coating, you would know that if the wheel wasn't mint before the powder was applied you would be able to see EVERY imperfection, you can only fill very small inperfections with powder coat, but 9/10 you can still see them. Thats why my guys in the factory spend 2 days hand prepping the wheels!!! (cos i realise most williams owners are on par with your "anal levels of detail")

Justifies my high price too

with paint, you can just wack on a high build primer, sand it flat and away you go!!! fill in all pit marks etc, its the easy option if you ask me!

what happens when your painted wheels get a stone chip???

summeh
06-05-2005, 00:19
Got to admit those wheels look awesome :D

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 10:33
Awesome, but the wrong colour. With no laquer.

When my wheels get a stone chip i will get them refurbed again, the right colour.

I think there is a theme here:

We are all enthusiasts, we need the wheels to be the right colour, how hard can than be, i have the code

Fred
06-05-2005, 21:56
well you do it whatever way you like mr K, i'll do it my way

cheers

Fred

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 22:06
No offence but a good business man really should listen to his customers. If people want green wheels would you still try to sell the red ones? :roll:

I have nothing against you Fred, but do you think its acceptable to refurb wheels on a classic car the wrong colour?

Fred
06-05-2005, 23:19
as i've said before, i ONLY do powder coating! Painted wheels are a waste of time as far as i'm/the business is concerned. You CAN'T 100% pefectly match a spray paint colour code to a powder coat, ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!

Yes mine aren't 100% perfect in terms of colour, but they're 90% there

Everyone who has had their willy wheels done through me has been very pleased with the results, thats the main thing that counts to me!!

If you don't like my work fine, no skin off my nose! I go to great lengths to do the best i can, if its not good enough for you, then you won't be using me, end of story

you can't please everyone

the way i see it is you're dealing with upto 10year old wheels. May i ask, have you ever seen a fully stripped to bare metal 10year old willy wheel???

If you have, then you would understand the work envolved!!!!

Have you ever had hands on experience with powder coating???

Have you ever had hands on experience with spray painting????

You are possibly the most impossible person to please, i respect you for that, just let me get on and offer my product, you don't like it, others do

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 23:52
This isnt Cliosport Fred. We dont sing praises just because we have been to a meet together. I dont know you as a person, ive heard your a nice guy. But business is business, and i reserve the right to point out to anyone who is a true Williams enthusiast whether their refurb is a good one or not.

Your refurb might be a great job and look the dogs danglies. But a fact is a fact. Its the wrong colour with the wrong rim. And to an enthusiast thats as much use a chocolate fireguard.

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 00:32
Fred

So do you do these wheels your self or just send them away and take a cut?

BRUN
07-05-2005, 01:15
what does it matter either way

you have both made your points, jus leave it at that....

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 01:27
It matters because i am a williams enthusiast. I started this thread and said i would attempt to get the wheels 100% the right colour. If fred doesnt want me to demonstrate the wrong colour of his wheels maybe he shouldnt put pictures of said wheels in my thread on group buys.

:D

BRUN
07-05-2005, 01:33
your just repeating yourself mate, give it a rest

we all know you dont like Fred'd refurbs....so jus forget about it and get on with lookin elsewhere

ive seen a lot of examples of his work and id be more than happy to have him do my speedline turbines, i fully respect you want it 100% correct, its good that someone is finding out the paint code etc, but your like a stuck record....

Fred
07-05-2005, 01:50
i give up, king doesn't like my work, hairy muff!!!!

i've done several sets of willy wheels, and everyone has loved the results

the way i see it this, you have 2 options

either buy a NEW set of willy wheels form reno = £1K

or get a refurb = £140 - £350 depending on where you go and what finish is on offer

if people want a decent refurb, then please e-mail me on FATBLOTA@hotmail.com or ring me on 07769712624

I don't like CS either

King the company i work for has been powder coating since 1955, we know our shit

i have a 30man team in the factory working on the wheels, all with years of experience

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 01:53
your just repeating yourself mate, give it a rest

we all know you dont like Fred'd refurbs....so jus forget about it and get on with lookin elsewhere

ive seen a lot of examples of his work and id be more than happy to have him do my speedline turbines, i fully respect you want it 100% correct, its good that someone is finding out the paint code etc, but your like a stuck record....

Its my thread, if he continue to post then i will continue to reply to his posts. If you dont want to read my rantings go and post in another thread.

And its not that i have anything against fred, or his refurb. I just dont like half assed jobs.

Do it right, or dont do it atall.

Fred
07-05-2005, 01:56
and with the whole "your rim is wrong thing" i disagree with you!

i look upon it as a modification on the original, i'll happily promise the original, can't be bettered rim, will go tits up after 2-3yrs

BTW, i like chocolate

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 01:58

or get a refurb = £140 - £350 depending on where you go and what finish is on offer

if people want a decent refurb, then please e-mail me on FATBLOTA@hotmail.com or ring me on 07769712624

I don't like CS either

King the company i work for has been powder coating since 1955, we know our shit

i have a 30man team in the factory working on the wheels, all with years of experience

So why cant you get the right colour and laquer the rim then?

No point extolling the virtues of your workers and equipment, and then turn round and admit the wheels are the wrong colour. :roll:

The way i see it you can either:

But new wheels for £800 (£200 each)
Get cheap refurb in the wrong colour (£150)
Get an expensive refurb in the wrong colour (£220)
Let me find / negotiate the right colour at the right price

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 02:03

i look upon it as a modification on the original, i'll happily promise the original, can't be bettered rim, will go tits up after 2-3yrs

BTW, i like chocolate

Well maybe youd like to improve on the williams interior too, and perhaps change the colour of my car to one you prefere?

Id rather drive around for 1 year with rims that are original that 3 years looking like a cock cos i just paid for someone to 'improve' my wheels for me.

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 02:04

I don't like CS either

So why cant you get the right colour and laquer the rim then?

No point extolling the virtues of your workers and equipment, and then turn round and admit the wheels are the wrong colour. :roll:

But new wheels for £800 (£200 each minus the £200 you could sell your old alloys for makes it £600 for new alloys)
Let me find / negotiate the right colour at the right price

Fred
07-05-2005, 02:09

I don't like CS either

So why cant you get the right colour and laquer the rim then? I've already said, I WON'T LACQUER THE RIM, BECAUSE IF 1 TINY BIT OF DIRT DUST ETC GETS ONTO THE BARE METAL BEFORE THE CLEAR COAT IS APPLIED, IT'LL LAST 6MONTHS TOPS
No point extolling the virtues of your workers and equipment, and then turn round and admit the wheels are the wrong colour. :roll: AS BEFORE ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A 100% MATCH TO A SPRAY PAINT CODE WHEN USING POWDER COAT

But new wheels for £800 (£200 each)
Let me find / negotiate the right colour at the right price THE WORDS NO + CHANCE ARE ALL I'M GONNA SAY

Fred
07-05-2005, 02:11

BTW, i like chocolate

Well maybe youd like to improve on the williams interior too, and perhaps change the colour of my car to one you prefere?

Id rather drive around for 1 year with rims that are original that 3 years looking like a cock cos i just paid for someone to 'improve' my wheels for me.

WHATS WRONG WITH RUBBING A BIT OF AUTOSOL OVER THE RIMS EVERY MONTH??????

2 live
07-05-2005, 09:25
lol

like i said before....pro clean in prescott

£35 per rim, with the polished rim and lacquered

and its the correct colour too..............well mine was but i believe a couple ppl have had probs with the colour match.....possibly because unless u state it they will match the colour the rims are when u take them to them

and btw its an akzo nobel paint code not a speedline 1