PDA

View Full Version : FAO those with AVO Coilovers....

Dan_mk1
28-11-2006, 22:36
Fitted them today with one problem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dan_mk1nova/DSC01057.jpg

As you can see theres a massive gap between the top mount and the metal, they're fitted as the avo diagram shows:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dan_mk1nova/DSC01058.jpg

In the diagram is says to use the OE bumpstop etc but in the txt it says not to use them with coilovers...the car doesnt handle right at all and skips all over the place so I can only assume i wasnt suppose to use the renault bumpstops and attach the coilover direct to the top mount?

Ta lads

stew
28-11-2006, 22:59
erm...looks kinda right to me anyway.

not the best photo but there is ment to be a gap. gash clio design. should have fixed top mounts, none of this rubber donught pish!

arj256
28-11-2006, 23:13
If you look at the diagram the Rc is retained components, and below that is what you use from Avo.
So you cut the rubber boot to size to act as the bumpstop.

Also did you use the 2 nuts you get with the kit to tighten the top mount to the suspension?

Dan_mk1
28-11-2006, 23:13
It cant be right dude, im pretty sure of it. When turning it feels as tho theres a delay between you steering and the wheels turning, deffo doesnt drive right!

arj256
28-11-2006, 23:15
Is that pic with your wheels straight?

midge
29-11-2006, 00:51
i fitted these with Dan, they are fitted EXACTLY as that diagram show's, using the retained parts and the avo top mount, put together all the right way round as picture, only used one bolt on top off the stuff as in the picture there is only one bolt.
Im pretty sure the gap at the top isnt ment to be there, and the car definatly wasnt right.
It said to put them together as pictured which we did, but it also said on another page that you didnt need to use any of the origanol parts, is it possible that if all the o/e stuff removed this would solve the problem? but then surely it would leave the avo top bit rubbing on the car? metal on metal?
Realy need to talk to someone who has fitted these..

The pic is with the wheels straight.

Andy P
29-11-2006, 00:54
I think Stew fitted his AVO's mate.

arj256
29-11-2006, 01:10
I fitted my new set a couple of weeks ago and had issues with mine..

I found that the when i put the nut going onto the washer on the top mount.
It meant i couldnt do up the top rubber plate, as there wasnt enough thread left.
So i have had to run with just the rubber plate going onto the washer to make the rubber plate sit how it should.
Not to impressed with that, and mine are to low.
I think they have changed something in there latest batch as they dont sound like the older ones.

It wouldnt work with the top mounts off as that would eat away and create wear.

stew
29-11-2006, 01:42
I think Stew fitted his AVO's mate.

Indeed I did.

Gaz_Two also did his after his refurb iirc.

I did mine as the instructions said, just used one nut on the damper strut as per diagram.

New parts all round including top mounts and donoughts.

With the wheels straight there is a bit of a gap. And the gap angles with the wheels turned. This is ment to be, as the top mount mearly stops the strut angling too much, or coming right out over a jump. the rubber donought does all the supporting.

this should be the same as std suspension as well.

make sure everything is done up really tight, and should be ok.

mine have done 1k miles and a good long day at cadwell fine. Martins/Gaz's on the nana have done a stupid number of miles and trackdays and have been spot on from wot ive heard. just were in need of a refurb. (free!)

try setting the damping in the middle / soft and try them. should be like standard suspension really. on mega hard they are a bit bumpy skittish on road, but fine on track.

outa intrest what damping levels does everyone run?

Me - Cadwell - Middle (front) - 2clicks harder than middle (rear) - Thoughts : rear should have been softer, or maybe front a tad harder, but was struggling with turn-in thru some corners. chasing the throttle dont help though. need to master the whole lift off oversteer into corners!

Dan_mk1
29-11-2006, 14:54
So stew you deffo used the OE bumpstops etc?
The car definately doesnt feel right, skips all over the place, for the first 1/4 of a turn, the wheels hardly move then after its really sensitive...kinda like summins winding up!?

Would it be possible to use just the OE top mounts and attach them directly to the coilies?

stew
29-11-2006, 17:08
no i used what it told me to use.

avo strut, bumpstop, spring, spring seat (top)

then OE bearing, avo nut, OE rubber dounought, OE top mount.

sorry im in uni, but you get the idea...red components....

cant really think of anything else, other than your bearing is wrong way round, not functioning properly, or not installed?

Nick16v
29-11-2006, 21:11
This is quite worrying as i have just purchased a set of avo ride and height adjustable coilovers, i was told that they were one of the better coilover kits for the clio....... :?

So ur saying u need to buy other parts now to make it work better or u can use some of the avo kit, and some of the standard parts for it to work???

arj256
29-11-2006, 22:03
Follow the instructions supplied and you should be fine.

midge
29-11-2006, 23:46
Stew you've said

but in the diagram it goes

then OE bearing,OE rubber dounought, avo nut OE top mount.

They are put together in the exact order as teh diagram show's, we took it off 3 times and checked

richy
29-11-2006, 23:55
the bearing sits on the underside of the donut, the small metal spacer ontop/in the insert bit of the donut then a nut then just the top mounting, u dont have the donut upside down do u? seen a few ppl do that lol and there will be a gap once the car is back on the ground, thats how all these are

stew
30-11-2006, 01:14
Stew you've said

but in the diagram it goes

then OE bearing,OE rubber dounought, avo nut OE top mount.

They are put together in the exact order as teh diagram show's, we took it off 3 times and checked

yeah your order is right midge. i didnt really mean mine in an order, more of a list. should be pretty obvious how they go together really!

just follow instructions and you pretty much cant go wrong!

midge
30-11-2006, 11:15
the doougnut is not the wrong way round, was checked 3 times!
This has me realy confused

Dan_mk1
30-11-2006, 11:35
Yup, me too, the car definately doesnt drive right...altough thinking about it, it could just be that the camber and tracking is far out its causing it skip and veer over the road!?