PDA

View Full Version : Renault key procedure....

mozzawily
27-11-2006, 16:29
Hi all,

When i bought my car it only came with one key, as i was in parts dept today i asked how much it would be to get another one done.... well they said £60 for the key and a further £45 to reprogram it as its got a chip?

WTF.... seems steep to me, has anybody else got another key for the williams cut before??

Cheers
D

TriO`
27-11-2006, 16:34
I thought it was even more than that tbh.. stupidly expensive

Matty86
27-11-2006, 16:58
i bought a fob for my last RT for £93ish :(

iirc, the key part for my valver was about £7 (just the metal though)

if you just want a spare key, go to a locksmith, they normally charge about a fiver for a new key and it'll be cut in a few mins :)

Daz.
27-11-2006, 18:36

From Renault?

All I want it the metal bit redoing as I want to make use of another good condition fob I have

Matty86
27-11-2006, 19:04
yup! :)

was very shocked!

Daz.
27-11-2006, 19:14
Oooo I know what to do Saturday then!

Do you have to leave it with them or will they do it there and then?

Matty86
27-11-2006, 19:41
in the front of my service book for my valver was the keycode

its a little insert on the first page that lists all the tech numbers for the car

you want 'ignition key number' which is a few numbers and letters (usually R,P,N etc..).

problem i found with mine is that its had its locks changed at one point, so the key didnt match :(

locksmith made me up a new key, but said he couldnt easily order a blank blade from renault and that it could take a week or so. he gave me the key number but renault seem to add random digits to their codes, so couldnt make me up a key based on it

but anyway, ngive them thaumber t and they order it for you

Think i ordered mine on saturday and got it tuesday

Daz.
27-11-2006, 19:59
in the front of my service book for my valver was the keycode

its a little insert on the first page that lists all the tech numbers for the car

you want 'ignition key number' which is a few numbers and letters (usually R,P,N etc..).

problem i found with mine is that its had its locks changed at one point, so the key didnt match :(

locksmith made me up a new key, but said he couldnt easily order a blank blade from renault and that it could take a week or so. he gave me the key number but renault seem to add random digits to their codes, so couldnt make me up a key based on it

but anyway, ngive them thaumber t and they order it for you

Think i ordered mine on saturday and got it tuesday

Cheers fella I'll have a look at the book when I dig it out

cliorod
27-11-2006, 23:41
Procedure at our place,for the more modern cars
Bring your log book in :oops: ~~ should actually bring a utility bill as well,pays yer money ~~~ .The key/blipper is then back ordered from France :cry: :cry: was about 7/10 days,but it seems better now ~~ 3/5.Bring the car etc into the workshop to get everything coded,I think the all price Key/blipper and coding is around the £125 mark :cry: :cry: ,as I say,that is for the newer cars.
Do not know about the Williams/Valvers etc,what surprises me,is that there is no-one local to us,can code the key :roll: :roll:

northy
28-11-2006, 08:48

From Renault?

All I want it the metal bit redoing as I want to make use of another good condition fob I have

you can change fob cases and relace the metal key part only mate.

Daz.
28-11-2006, 18:14

From Renault?

Thats what I'm doing Northrop but my key seen better days - I'd like a nice fob with a nice new key - It's the little things :wink:

nyk
28-11-2006, 19:03
If you buy the key from Reno, can a local car alarm place not code it at half the price that Reno charge??

Matty86
28-11-2006, 20:46

From Renault?

Thats what I'm doing Northrop but my key seen better days - I'd like a nice fob with a nice new key - It's the little things :wink:

i never did get to grips with my new fob for my RT. was always so stiff to push the button :(.. the worn valver one is tonnes better! :D

Daz.
28-11-2006, 21:34
in fact I was half tempted to get a key cut at wherever and dremel off the remaing rubbish to make it the same silly shape as the Renault one

Laine_16v
28-11-2006, 21:57
I need a fob reprogrammed, and a new key cut for manual overide of alarm siren and immobiliser.

Brb, just going to get some shares in reanult.. :lol:

eternalife
28-11-2006, 23:00
First of all - it depends if your car came with an alarm and immobiliser or only an alarm...

option 1 (alarm and immobiliser)

If you want a new key made - the only option is to buy the key blade(metal part) and the plastic PLIP part from renault.

You cannot reuse some of the old PLIPs off another car and reprogram it. PLIP alarm keys are programmed from factory.

If you want to order a new key then you will need the following:
Your Log book
Your original service book (not essential but helps in the ordering process as the specific serial numbers are on one of the first pages)
Proof of your ID (driving licence etc)

Now Option 2 - Your car only came with an Alarm and no immobiliser.

The easiest option is to go to renault and pay for a new key.
This is what I had to do for mine and was quoted prices as much as £150. Finally I found a dealer who did the PLIP part and the Key Blade (both ordered in from france) at a cost of £105. This is a perfectly cut key and a completely new PLIP

Another option is to get a Key Cut from key makers and disable the alarm. I am told the Alarm disable key barrell is just under the bonnet near the windscreen (I believe it has a plastic top too) I have not tried this and therefore cannot verify it works.

Another option is to purchase a second hand Infra red sensor (placed where the driver and passenger internal lights are) and Keys from someone who is breaking a similar clio. This option was told to me by the dealership i went to - however, due to implications on time and also wanting to keep my car as original as possible i thought it best to order another key.

Hope this helps.

By the way My car is an L reg Phase 1 Clio valver and had no immobiliser.

Laine_16v
28-11-2006, 23:02
I got 2 keys, both of em unlock all the locks, only one plips tho.

I dont need a new fob key cut, just the small all metal one that overides immob and alarm in scuttle panel.

cliorod
28-11-2006, 23:20
Not that it bothers me unduly, :wink: :wink: .But for interest "we" / I had a guy in today who bought a blipper ??? on "EBAY" ,came to get it coded :roll: .Whoops no can do,the guy who does the coding of the keys,could not get it to work,he and several of the more experienced technicians,tried in vain :cry: :cry: but to no avail.The guy eventually had to order a new O/E Renault part :cry: :cry:.
So it looks like Renault have everybody by the short and curlies :roll: :roll: .
Does anyone know,whether Ford/Vauxhall etc etc are the same.ie Dealer only can supply and code.

Daz.
29-11-2006, 00:00
Ahhh! forgot about that route!

So all you need is a new sensor and a key? you can leave everything else "as is"?

eternalife
29-11-2006, 01:52
Laine_16v

The key for the manual override of the alarm/immob has a method also:
Cheapest method that has been told to me - by simply taking out the barrel - Purchasing a new Key barrel with two new keys and put the new barrel in the manual Alarm/Immob. Have heard that such a barrel (with keys) can be bought from Maplins. Again, have not verified but seems perfectly logical.

Also, its weird only one of your keys PLIP's. As these are coded at factory and even if the battery is replaced it should still work. I would get a dealership to advise you why the PLIP does not work.

Daz

Not a new sensor & keys - but one from another clio (possibly one being scrapped/stripped). He said the sensor unit just 'pops' out. You simply plug in another sensor for which you have multiple PLIP's and change over the key blades.

This method was told to me by the technician at the dealership who according to the information he gave me - had been with renault for over 13years.