PDA

View Full Version : Weird - lights/electrical????

stew
26-11-2006, 17:28
My altenator packed up at the end of cadwell park back in sept. I ordered a new altenator from renault (£111) fitted it the week later. Job done or so i thought.

When i have the lights on, and the ignition switch in its second position, then the rev counter starts being weird and doing stupid things. When the inditcators are on with the lights, the rev counter jumps up and down in time with the indicators.

When i start the car and have the lights/indicators on or whatever its fine, although the battery light keeps flickering on and off.

This suggests to me loose connection/bad earth.

Ive checked :-

Battery connections
Kill switch connections and earths
lights connections
altenator connections
altenator output voltage @ 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7krpm

still no luck.

it seems like the fault is only occuring when the ignition coil is powered up, lights on and engine not running.

could it be as simple as a fookered battery? i just dont wanna have to fork out 60quid for a new battery if i dont need one!

HELP!!!

Andy P
26-11-2006, 18:13
£60 for a battery? :lol:

Could be a piss poor earth. Check the earth on the top of the box, i had a similar problem and cleaning and tightening sorted that problem out

stew
26-11-2006, 18:16
£60 for a battery? :lol:

Could be a piss poor earth. Check the earth on the top of the box, i had a similar problem and cleaning and tightening sorted that problem out

well thats wot i quickly priced a battery up as!

what box/where?

it seems weird that residual current seems to be building up on the rev counter wiring tho. really weird this one. has been fine ever since i bought the car till about a month ago.

Andy P
26-11-2006, 18:22
gearbox mate.

I fitted a new altenator as the old one got gunked up with pas fluid, and the earth to the gearbox was red hot.

My mechanic friend sorted it all out nicely

number1
26-11-2006, 18:41
Gearbox earth and check the connections on the top of the coil too thats where the rev counter pick's up it's signal from

Dave

stew
27-11-2006, 11:51
cheers guys, will have a butchers next weekend. just hope its what you say it is!

why is it related to having the lights on though?

stew
09-12-2006, 17:59
UPDATE : new battery.

still same problems. earths look fine as far as i can see.

where are all the earths?

gearbox? earth on battery?

any other ideas...this is pissing me off!

Andy P
09-12-2006, 18:01
There is an earth point just above the passenger headlight next to the battery.
There is one at the back of the gearbox.
There is one on the side of the gearbox inside the passenger wheel arch.
I Think there is one on the front near the oil filter area
Theres an earth inside the passenger scuttle panel, not certain what that ones for.
And theres one under the dash top i think.

This is based on a Williams/16v probably the same for an rsi though.

stew
09-12-2006, 19:18
thanks andy for finding that, and to adam for orginally posting that.

im gonna sort this if its gonna kill me!!

:twisted:

Andy P
09-12-2006, 19:24
RIP Stew. i claim the wheels and bonnet. :wink:

stew
09-12-2006, 19:26
oi :shock:

:roll:

Purple
10-12-2006, 01:35
If you had changed to a new battery, it's most likely floating earth problem. If you can't the earthing problem, you might want to pull some extra grounding cables to the battery negative. Use thick core cables and tie them down close to high-current electrical stuff.

Danny-ACE!
10-12-2006, 02:07
Check the connections on the starter motor are on properly.
Could be draining the battery if they are loose.

stew
10-12-2006, 13:35
ok thanks guys, away to have another look in the rain now.

its weird how its related to the lights/heater control though. seems like the battery aint charging properly when the lights and heater fan is on, but not even constant.

weird...

stew
11-12-2006, 14:34
ok, was still doing it today. decided to take it for a good rant, as i was bored and knew i wouldnt be using the lights.

was going bloody well, although grip in 1st, 2nd and 3rd was a problem! hehe

anyway started miss-firing around 4krpm, and i knew it was time to head home sharpish! :roll:

got about 1 mile from home when it died. got it restarted eventually, and got back home just with a lot of rough running.

looks like im gonna have to have a proper overhaull of the wiring and get it sorted.

looks like it could be a number of things.

why does the lights/heater fan effect it?
why wont it start when it stalled, even although there is power to the battery and the starter is turning over?
could the coil pack be nackered?
is the kill switch having and effect?

and last but not least - why? it was running great recently. i hate bloody electrical issues and french cars coming up for their 15th birthday!!! :evil:

Purple
11-12-2006, 15:17
why does the lights/heater fan effect it?
why wont it start when it stalled, even although there is power to the battery and the starter is turning over?
could the coil pack be nackered?
Typically when there's intermittent earth connection problem, some of the electrical equipment are not getting the full 12V to 13V that they are expecting. The stuff that gets affected first are usually the high current equipment or the ECU. All the things you listed above, though unrelated to each other, require pretty high current to run decently. So, it's sounding more and more like bad earthing problem to me.

stew
14-12-2006, 14:22
ok battery light has now gone off when driving which is a good sign. however it still stalls, turns over but dont fire up for a while!! coil pack ****ed??

away to clean up all earths, but i dont see much problem now, but it still missfires and then stalls. when i restart it turns over fine, but takes a while to actually fire up!

strange...

stew
14-12-2006, 17:57
right spent all day on this mofo.

i thought id got it fixed, but right after gettin petrol that light has started to flicker on and off again.

arghhh!!! :evil:

no stalling or cutting out so far....

heres what i did today...

1)checked altenator output again, 14.5-16v depending on revs
2)check battery voltage 14v
3)re-did negative earth by battery
4)removed kill switch and went back to std ign setup
5)cleaned up other earths (gbox, scuttle, etc)

bloody thing! :cry:

Purple
14-12-2006, 18:38
Is the alternator voltage tested with loading attached? If it is, I think that might be a bit too high. Mine's usually 14V plus when charging.

Dimkais also had some electrical issues recently, and he also mentioned that the alternator voltage was quite high. Maybe you could PM him to see if you guys have the same problems.

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17402&highlight=