PDA

View Full Version : Superchips

bluenose
24-11-2006, 15:49
I have just found out that the superchip that was fitted to my williams has increased the rev limit to 7700. This is all well and good but would revving this high have any side effects on the engine?! ie damage it at all? Also wondering what sort of performance increase this would have? Im not very clued up in terms of power curves etc. but thought maximum torque was at 2500 revs on a williams so revving up past 7 wouldnt have much more effect than just dropping it into the next gear? :? Can you tell im a novice? lol.

cliolord
24-11-2006, 20:15
yes it can damage the engine my firned. Alot of remapped Clio (escpecially on here) will have a modified limiter to take it from 6,400rpm to 7,300rpm. 7,700rpm is very high and I wouldn't really want to rev it that high, EVER unless the valve springs have been modified, along with solid lifters. Some work to the bottom end would probably need doing really. Power gain isn't that great on an OE multi-copy chip. If it has been rolling roaded, expect around 155-160bhp and around 130-135 ft/lb torque.

Hope this helps 8)

bluenose
24-11-2006, 20:21
Yeah it did. Probably best to get a different chip with a lower limiter then. Would this have anything to do with the head gasket starting to go do you think? :?

cliolord
24-11-2006, 20:26
in all honestly mate, I shouldn't think it would make any difference to the head gasket unless the car was overheating. Head gaskets generally go at around 80-90K (some before some after but most between). Again, it depends how it's been driven, serviced etc etc. Lack of anti-freeze can also lead to blowing over the gasket channels (corrosion to the metal gasket surface over time). Maintenance is the key mate. If you have a chip running such a high limiter, just make sure you watch and listen to the engine when you give it some GBH :lol:

bluenose
24-11-2006, 20:34
It's on the verge of 56k at the mo with a fsh so the maintenence is all in order. Obviously i dont know how the last owner drove it but he cared about it enough to service it regularly. Might be worth uprating a few internals ready for the pod next year then :D
Cheers for the advice mate!

cliolord
24-11-2006, 20:36
No problem,

if you want higher performance internals, talk to stan :wink:

bluenose
24-11-2006, 20:46
Who's Stan? lol. I've not been a member long so i dont know who everyone is yet.

cliolord
24-11-2006, 21:03
Stan (Craig) can modify your cylinder head :twisted: he's doing mine at the moment. If you want cylinder head work done, send a message to Stan or wait a couple of days and I am sure he will post up in this thread

bluenose
24-11-2006, 21:10
Alright nice one! Cheers for that mate. I'll see what he says. You should be on comission! lol.

cliolord
24-11-2006, 21:20
:shock: lol