PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning throttle-body

Purple
24-11-2006, 13:01
This has not been mentioned for a while (I just did mine).

Cleaning out the throttle-body with a carb/throttle-body spray is one of the best value-for-effort job for old cars like ours. Few quids of carb spray and about half-hour of spraying into the the intake butterfly. The car feels much feistier after that. Revs smoother and the tacho climbs faster.

Go get it done, if you have not done yours in a while.

mattyc
24-11-2006, 15:55
So do you take off the airbox, spray a load in, then put airbox on and run car for a little while?

Purple
24-11-2006, 16:37
Don't think you can do much wrong, anyway you do it. Just don't accidently drop something into the throttle body, that's all.

I took out the air filter. Spray past the butterfly valve. Start the engine (coughing and sputtering). Rev until it runs smooth and idles properly. I repeated this about half dozen times. Also tried spraying while the engine was on, but the revs was way too high and noisy for my liking. Last thing I did was to take it out on the highway to blast away whatever other gunk I could blow out.

AmDaMan
24-11-2006, 18:37
Yup did it other day and it made a lot of difference, take the TB off though as there will be crap on both sides of the butterfly, Get an old toothbrush in there too to get absolutely everything off :D Do the ISCV while you're at it!

http://img289.imageshack.us/img289/715/img3404kn9.jpg

mattyc
26-11-2006, 15:37
how easy is it to get off the throttle body?

schakal
26-11-2006, 16:04
how easy is it to get off the throttle body?

4 torx screw/bolts holding it to the inlet manifold.
just be gentle pulling it out though ,the gasket is easily damagable
unless you use a new one of course.

stew
26-11-2006, 18:10
yeah take the whole trottle body off. do it properly, clean the iscv at the same time, and new air filter. a few of the best things u can do in 1/2day imo.

:twisted:

BristolSam16v
17-12-2006, 19:06
DO NOT unscrew those 2 screws holding the butterfly valve in. You will never get them back in properly! I just ****ed my whole throttle body by taking the big one out then denting/scratching it trying to get it to line up again :(

car13
19-12-2006, 11:08
Worth rerouting breathers to catch tank saves pumping sh*te back into inlet track.