PDA

View Full Version : Snapped Clutch Cable

MattyH16valver
23-11-2006, 20:30
My clutch cable decided to snap on the way home from work tonight right on a hill, so I had not gears...great fun! Thats the accelerator, clutch and bonnet cables all snap this year :roll: Just wondering how easy they are to replace? Would appreciate some kind of rough guidance on how to replace it. Thanks Matt :wink:

Coops
23-11-2006, 20:38
evil, just done mine and it snapped again. make sure u get a genuine renault replacement that was my mistake and when u remove the old one note the routing, particularly round exhaust downpipe!

easy in terms of putting cable in, whip off battery, airbox and exhaust heat shield then unclip from gearbox end and feed out. unhook for pedal end (or if its snapped just pull! :lol:

refit by routing cable from pedal end first, difficult bit this as you have to go up and through the pedal housing n hole is really small! i used a bit of wire to pull it through! 8) then feed through the locating loop and up the back of the clutch pedal over auto-adjuster ensuring sits into groove correctly, then push up the clip that holds it (spring loaded) and hook the end in. i removed bottom trim panel to help me see! then route the cable behind zorst and clip to subframe routing points, up and over gearbox and round to the mounting. loop through and hook onto release lever on gearbox. the push pedal but be careful cuz if the cables too short it'll pop straight out the pedal mounting hook and get stuck (well annoying) if shud put up usual stiif valver resistance straight away then ratchet itself on the auto adjuster.

Coops
23-11-2006, 20:39
evil, just done mine and it snapped again. make sure u get a genuine renault replacement that was my mistake and when u remove the old one note the routing, particularly round exhaust downpipe!

easy in terms of putting cable in, whip off battery, airbox and exhaust heat shield then unclip from gearbox end and feed out. unhook for pedal end (or if its snapped just pull! :lol:

refit by routing cable from pedal end first, difficult bit this as you have to go up and through the pedal housing n hole is really small! i used a bit of wire to pull it through! 8) then feed through the locating loop and up the back of the clutch pedal over auto-adjuster ensuring sits into groove correctly, then push up the clip that holds cable on pedal(spring loaded) and hook the end of cable in. i removed bottom trim panel to help me see! then route the cable behind zorst and clip to subframe routing points, up and over gearbox and round to the mounting. loop through and hook onto release lever on gearbox. the push pedal but be careful cuz if the cables too short it'll pop straight out the pedal mounting hook and get stuck (well annoying) if shud put up usual stiif valver resistance straight away then ratchet itself on the auto adjuster.

MattyH16valver
23-11-2006, 21:40
Cheers m8...sounds like fun :lol: Thats my mission for the weekend. Nice little guide. Matt 8)

MattyH16valver
23-11-2006, 23:54
Is it best to go for an oe cable then or is a copy ok?

mon
23-11-2006, 23:57
genuine best..

Justin..
24-11-2006, 00:15
it'll take ages the first tiem, but i did mine 6 times and can do it in half hour now :lol:

Justin..
24-11-2006, 00:16
also if you'd have looked there is a guide how to do it

:roll: :wink:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8669

Allan
24-11-2006, 00:27
hmm was fun doing summys cable that first time lol and same day we also did my stearing column :S

MattyH16valver
24-11-2006, 00:32
also if you'd have looked there is a guide how to do it

:roll: :wink:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8669
Yes, I found that earlier m8.....cheers. :wink:

MattyH16valver
25-11-2006, 18:33
Spent all day trying to fix this ****er, and after fitting a new cable assembly in, the end that fits onto the pedal keeps ****ing popping off out of the plastic! :roll: Does anybody know why it keeps doing this as I really can't be bothered with it anymore....been doing it all day. :cry:

Coops
26-11-2006, 13:07
you got pm mate, had this when got to a meet other week in bloody donnington, was f'in n blindin as knew i had to sort it to limp back to sheffield! :roll: :lol:

Allan
26-11-2006, 15:23
have you poped it through the guide ?, as it goes over the top of the pedel there is a guide eye you have to put it through then it drops down and hooks in.

if i was at home i could get some pics but sadly im away on business and now where near my house :S

i have a brand new pedal assembly on the table so could get some nice pics otherwise

Coops
26-11-2006, 15:25
i did mate, took forever n all to 'feel' it blind through the loop! :lol: still snapped, pattern parts - not worth the hassle!

MattyH16valver
26-11-2006, 22:15
Cheers for the pm coops....finally got it sorted after many hours of bloodshed and frustration... :lol: Thanks to Big HP for sorting me out an oe cable....as u said coops...the paturn ones are shit! The bit I really struggled with was getting the end of the wire through the hole in the footwell. The way that u have to tie the wire to the stopper part means that it kind of only pulls the wire when the end get near the hole. It took me ages to work it out, but eventually I used some electrical tape to make sure that the wire I tied on was straight inline with the clutch cable so it does not jab in the hole. Definately don't want to do one of these again for a while....saved myself some money doing it myslef though. Thanks for all the help peeps. 8)

number1
26-11-2006, 23:12
i cant stress how important it is to use genuine cables the pattern ones are cr@p and WILL leave you stranded out in the middle of no where

been there bought nothing but genuine cables since

BristolSam16v
27-11-2006, 09:05
As above, made the mistake of buying a non-genuine cable once... but never again!

Coops
27-11-2006, 10:23
lol, now i find this out! :roll: :wink:

cars still in disgrace other side of sheffield where cable snapped for second time in as many days! 8) luckly thats was at me missus' mam's! :P

Justin..
27-11-2006, 11:13
i have a non gen cable fitted currently, had to re-fit after geuine cable was too short :?