PDA

View Full Version : Engine swaps

Swervin_Mervin
21-11-2006, 20:47
Say I had a new rolling shell. I want the engine from mine along with subframe, suspension and brakes swapping over.

Anyone any idea of how long this would take someone to do and how long?

I was going to do just the suspension brakes etc myself but if I want the engine as well I figure it's be easier to just undo the mounts and drop the lot non?

MatBrown
22-11-2006, 02:22
Can do it in a couple of days.

Mat.

Swervin_Mervin
23-11-2006, 19:56
So anyone any ideas on cost for this sort of thing? Most of you seem to have had engine swaps at some point.

Rich
23-11-2006, 20:03
feck nows! usually do it myself, iirc stan charges circa £350 to change just the engines over and i do believe thats a cheap rate so be prepared to be butt****ed :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
23-11-2006, 20:09
Just engine must be as much of a ballache though rather than just unbolting the subframe and suspension and lifting the body off.

Non?

Just ran it past the gaffer at the local garage and he said he'd have a think about it. :P

Rich
23-11-2006, 20:29
no mate, not imo, not just dink dang do like that. remember the engine doesnt actually touch the subframe and is a seperate thing so its still more work, you could undo subframe and pinch bolt off rack and undo top mounts ect so keep the subframe as a whole but still its a bit of a ballache doing it that way and is just easier to undo it all seperately to avoid damaging stuff

MatBrown
24-11-2006, 02:15
Nick at Hillpower charges about £350 for a straight engine swap.

Mat.

Swervin_Mervin
24-11-2006, 15:01
no mate, not imo, not just dink dang do like that. remember the engine doesnt actually touch the subframe and is a seperate thing so its still more work, you could undo subframe and pinch bolt off rack and undo top mounts ect so keep the subframe as a whole but still its a bit of a ballache doing it that way and is just easier to undo it all seperately to avoid damaging stuff

Ahhhh. I thought the engine sat on the frame at some point as well as the body. My bad.

stan
24-11-2006, 16:43
Nick at Hillpower charges about £350 for a straight engine swap.

Mat.

Yup...thing is they are hardly ever straight swaps...

Looms gearboxes, clutches, cambelt sets etc etc etc all add up time wise. I bet he charges extra for that??

I dont :lol: