PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal

Geezer
21-11-2006, 16:13
Right guys, I've been prepping the clio ready to remove the old 1.8 engine out but I've come accross two problems.

1). The driveshaft roll pin, for love or money this bl**dy thing will not pop out and have bent two pin punches trying to remove it.

2). The lower balljoint-to-hub holding bolt, as above, have tried forcing, hitting with hammer etc and it just isn't budging!

Any suggestions?! I've let them both soak in penetrating spray but still doesn't want to budge.

Because of the above problems, I've been tempted to drop the engine on the subframe and lift the chassis! Would it be easier to take this route? (Oh and btw I have ABS.... :()

Craig

stevie_b
21-11-2006, 16:43
Re: 1) The roll pin on mine was in two parts - a smaller inner pin and a larger outer one. I used something small (a drill bit, I think) to take the inner one out and then the outer came out quite easily. Failing that you could drill them out as you need new ones when you refit the shafts anyway?

Re: 2) Have you tried using a proper balljoint separator tool? I had a nightmare getting the nut undone, but once that was off the balljoint was quite easy to separate using one of these tools. I have seen it done by lumping the wishbone with a large hammer, but I'm not sure that is the best approach if you plan on reusing the wishbones?!?!

Hope that helps,

Steve

Allan
21-11-2006, 18:47
yeah i had a ball join stuck on so lump hammer and a ball joint remover sorted that about 10 quid from renault

stan
21-11-2006, 19:03
drill the roll pin.

remove the caliper, undo the strut-to-hub bolts and, disconnect the track rod. this will give enough room to remove the shaft.

Mattie
21-11-2006, 22:13
clearly things have come to a halt down the unit since iv stoped coming down.....i hear the 19 shell is still in there :roll:

:wink:

Geezer
21-11-2006, 22:15
Cheers lads, will give all the suggestions a try tomorrow if I can keep my patience!

Harris, you know it mate! 19 is long gone (well nearly), the black car is now basically just a shell apart from the engine.

Craig

kiza1986
21-11-2006, 22:18
Harris you cant change your brake disc' mate :lol:
19 shell is going on sunday no questions about it and as craig said the black car is mearly a shell just about to lose its engine!!

Kiza

Mattie
21-11-2006, 22:19
lol

i'll pop down once i got my car back.....7 days and counting! :D

kiza1986
21-11-2006, 22:20
We'll see my friend.... How much as that set you back??

Mattie
21-11-2006, 22:29
We'll see my friend.... How much as that set you back??

what are you doing on here.....do one

:lol:

duno....not as much as boffs though once its up and running :wink:

kiza1986
21-11-2006, 22:30
Dunno tbh.... membership up on cliosport and dont plan on renewing for a few reasons!!

Mattie
21-11-2006, 22:33
Dunno tbh.... membership up on cliosport and dont plan on renewing for a few reasons!!

one being you own a ford lol

anyway....back on topic of engine removal....

kiza1986
21-11-2006, 22:34
That could be one of them yes!!!

Yeah stop changing the subject...you should show a bit more responsibility being an area rep :P

number1
21-11-2006, 23:48
if your having problems getting the balljoint out of the hub, try tapping a screwdriver or wedge into the cutout in which the top of the balljoint sits, i have to do this almost everytime on my passenger side.

do it the way stan does it if that method fails, which it shouldnt

Dave

BristolSam16v
22-11-2006, 12:32
As above, I normally hammer a large flat-blad screw driver into the gap to wedge it apart!