PDA

View Full Version : FAO Northy & other manual rack(ers) lol

Martin
20-11-2006, 09:11
I'm finding this manual rack to be quite gash tbh compared to the oe setup just wondering if you quick rack is better than what mine is running?

The first 1/3 or 1/2 turn of the wheel is nice but after that the steering loads up heavily at random intervals lol It's does'nt seem to have a consitant feel and I imagine it would be very difficult to be smooth round track with it loading up so much on corners... :?

It's so heavy turning round corners with one hand is difficult...especially tight/corners or at speed....

northy
20-11-2006, 09:28
Im not sure if mine has a quick rack on tbh mate. If it has ive not noticed it. :oops:

Steering is even throughout the full turn - lock to lock mate. Heavy untill your on the move. slicks do really weight the steering up though when parking.

Craig
20-11-2006, 10:45
i didnt mind it on the track....but wasnt too keen on bumpy roundabouts.

ben mentioned an electronic PS option would work

northy
20-11-2006, 11:14
it shouldnt load up though martin.

Drive at a steady 20mph and find a carpark smooth and big enough to do lock to lock turns and test it out.

Craig
20-11-2006, 11:20
its basically quite light for the first 1/8th of a turn each way, just like a ps rack, then it gets heavier if further turning is needed.

if you think about the wheels turning, and the resistance depending on how far it turns, i thought this was about right. im sure my old RT was the same.

Winston
20-11-2006, 16:51
You get a nice lock with the manual :P

Im on the hunt for a quick rack..... but electric pump sounds interesting :P

Stan ...got the quick rack kit of stromba ....iirc thats a cup rack??

northy
20-11-2006, 16:54
craig - did u fit the rack or did mehdi ???

Craig
20-11-2006, 16:59
mehdi had it fitted. it was on the car when i bough it like!

Flan
20-11-2006, 17:41
i know what you mean Martin my 20V was the same with a manual rack, there not as quick as std pas racks and crap on track imoa if i had kept it (and been arsed) i would have fitted a pas rack and a 106gti pas electronic unit

Flan :wink:

clean16v
20-11-2006, 18:56
Craig will be able to comment as well but you do get the hang of it Martin. I know what you mean, at first you think it feels quite light but for the steeper corners if really needs a shove.

It's just a standard 1.2 rack iirc.

stan
21-11-2006, 13:21
Aye, ive got a cup quick rack, but its sat on the shelf next to the car, so i cant comment :D

David_Harrison
21-11-2006, 16:04
All the rally cars ran with PAS as far as i know.

TBH its not like you cant afford to lose the few bhp gained from manual steering. I doubt they are any more fun to drive on a manual rack.

nyk
21-11-2006, 22:43
I have a manual rack on the track car, tbh it has made it noticeably a little quicker without the pump. Also you get a much better feel an response from the road with the manual rack.

Mine is not notchy or anything, nice and smooth.

It's heavy as are all manual steering cars when at low speeds, but in my case, its not an every day drive and specifically for the track so suits me for the purpose.

Makes me feel like I'm driving the 5 again!! LOL

northy
22-11-2006, 08:59
I would just get used to it martin....i have with the race car. It feels funny going back to power steering then.

Martin
22-11-2006, 09:26
yeah maybe northy, I just worry about how hard I could push the car knowing correcting any out of shape moment will be very difficult indeed

northy
22-11-2006, 09:39
well i manage ok mate.

Craig
22-11-2006, 09:42
possible solution hehe!! :D

http://www.coolhunting.com/images/bowflex_selecttech.jpg

Martin
22-11-2006, 10:07
well i manage ok mate.

Yours just sticks does it not? Ah well it'll be reet I don't plan on doing many trackdays in it anyway.

northy
22-11-2006, 11:21
well i manage ok mate.

Yours just sticks does it not? Ah well it'll be reet I don't plan on doing many trackdays in it anyway.

not when u have cold rear slicks...i couldnt catch it but mr zollo did when he got chance.

seanofnp
22-11-2006, 11:23
possible solution hehe!! :D

http://www.coolhunting.com/images/bowflex_selecttech.jpg

and here :

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/38/27/8e_1_sbl.JPG

Dave_Harrison
22-11-2006, 11:30
Im a pretty strong guy and i can probably lift the jesus above my head, but not Northy as his wallet makes him heavy, but anyway i used to have a 1.9 diesel and i found it incredibly tiring to drive because of its manual rack on country lanes. It does make a difference. On the motorway etc it fine, but it definately tires your arms long term. I never got used to it, and it always made me exhausted if i drove it quick for long journies.

I was going to fit that cup rack i had to my track car and i decided against it for two main resosns:

1. I hated my 1.9 for the manual steering
2. Id like to do events other than smooth track days were PAS will actually make you quicker as the effort is less. The cup rack i bought off Nick Hill was actually TAKEN OUT of a competition rally car and the guy who owned it replaced it with PAS. He said it was slowing him down.

Rich
22-11-2006, 12:03
Ah well it'll be reet I don't plan on doing many trackdays in it anyway.

so you've bought it to go in straight lines ? i thought we'd finally made you see the light! get it tracked mofo and dont be a big girly man! just revert back to p/s if it worries you :wink:

northy
22-11-2006, 12:25
dont worry about my wallet mate....lol keeping my feet on the ground isnt a problem its stopping them from spinning i struggle with.

When u bring my seats over martin - i'll have a quick feel :wink:

Martin
22-11-2006, 13:08
Ah well it'll be reet I don't plan on doing many trackdays in it anyway.

so you've bought it to go in straight lines ? i thought we'd finally made you see the light! get it tracked mofo and dont be a big girly man! just revert back to p/s if it worries you :wink:

I would'nt revert back to p/s tbh even if it was free...it robs power and it's not that bad day to day driving plus I'm not giving power away lol

I'll maybe do 1 or 2 trackdays next year but I really need to save some money to pay off my loan.