PDA

View Full Version : Views on a 106 GTi

FincH
19-11-2006, 18:43
Has anyone here owned one? driven one?

What are they like for reliability and running costs and comforts?

Thinking of replacing the Valver with a tidy standard one.

Any views on this?

Cheers.

Craig
19-11-2006, 18:56
great cars, pretty nippy, and handle really well!

pedals are very close together tho, and offset too which takes a while to get used to!

Andy P
19-11-2006, 19:04
I think they are quicker than valvers tbh.

Gearbox's are an issue on the early ones

Craig
19-11-2006, 19:07
id have my money ona standard gti over a standard valver!

i had a play with a cup in my old one and to a ton there was nowt in it from rolling in 2nd.

up to 90 they are quick, but after that they arent anything special!

306 gti-6 is an even better car :D

FincH
19-11-2006, 19:19
Well tbh I rarely go over 90 so that's cool.

Basicaly I just can't be doing with fixing stuff on the Valver, and I like French hatchbacks so a newish (W reg ish) GTi seems like a good idea.

Main things I wanna know are running costs (such as maintanence and parts costs) and general reliability and an idea of what I should be expecting to pay for one.

Cheers.

Craig
19-11-2006, 19:22
dont forget they are still french lol!

good on fuel tho! and not expensive to insure really!

Swervin_Mervin
19-11-2006, 19:24
Very similar experience to the valver I'd say but I couldn't say either would be wuicker than the other. Driving experience is different to the valver though and I reckon they flow better over rough B-roads, but I run 195s and they tramline a lot.

Probably a bit cheaper to run/fix and probably more reliable (going off having owned loads of Citroens I still maintain PSA cars are lots more reliable, on the whole).

Find a good standard one and I reckon you'd love it. Get a carbon airbox thing (someone makes a cheaper replica of the Pugsport offerings) and they sound pretty bloody nice as well.

Jamie.
19-11-2006, 19:47
I havent ever driven one, but i do think that a sunflower yellow un with Gti-6 alloys looks stunning.

I was looking at them before i got a williams, i had fallen in love with my mates old tuned VTS, but i couldnt have a saxo. The performance of his was amazing, and from relatively little mods..... Cams, pulleys, manifold, decat, filter and a remap to go along with his stripped interior made it v quick. He had it rr'd at 160bhp and it was miles quicker than my williams, although it did drop off alot above 90 as the others have mentioned, even with the above listed mods.

Dancliovalver
19-11-2006, 20:13
my missus has one, and i love it

as sed the gearbox and idleing is a big issue on the earlier ones but they are also very very nippy, i have a modded valver and hers stanard and i cant shake her till we get past the 100mph mark!!!!

its up for sale on pistonheads.com

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/112987.htm

Dancliovalver
19-11-2006, 20:15
oh yeah and i also find them very easy to work on if your into your D.I.Y :wink:

bluenose
19-11-2006, 20:34
I was after a yellow one for a while before i stumbled across a williams at a price that was too good to turn down. I'd never heard a bad word about them untill my mate bought a black one. It's only got 49k on it and he's had nothing but trouble with it. He's owned it about 4/5 months now and its been off the road more than on it! Still think the yellow ones look ace though!

nyk
19-11-2006, 20:36
106 gti = womans car

nuff sed!

LOL

matt uk
19-11-2006, 21:13
mines as quick as a standard williams with just a zorst decat and filter

rev stupidly high

losing value quickly tho in market

reliable, so far so good with mine

first car ive kept for longer than 3 months and not sold for a long long time

FincH
19-11-2006, 23:55
Well, glad to hear some good comments about them :)

When you say rev high, do you mean gear ratios? or like uber high Jap revving?

For £2000 would I be looking at a half decent standard one? or maybe higher?

Cheers.

matt uk
20-11-2006, 00:01
my mate has a s reg 86 k its a fast one!

standard tax and full mot £1950ono
dark blue leather interior loadsa history and shit

get good ones from 1500-2250 this time of year bro

Foz
20-11-2006, 02:15
Ive had one and to be honest didnt really rate it much. Was quick but I do think the clio is a much better car, they feel a lot cheaper than even the clio's.

matt uk
20-11-2006, 03:09
well they hit bout 7omph 2nd gear, just under 100mph in 3rd and, 125mph in 4th limiting at just under 7.5k ish

had mine off clock at 140mph a few times now i think there much better thana valver to be honest performance wise

gtbloke
20-11-2006, 08:23
i used to run my ex's old 106gti and tbh there was nothing in it between it and the valver, as stated above over 90mph it actually lost ground to the clio...was a great car bar the constant idle probs the alacantra leather seats were well nice!

Zollo
20-11-2006, 10:17
Another weak point are head gaskets.

Brilliant cars, though. Sweeeeet handling 8)

Flan
20-11-2006, 10:43
aa i sold my valver im driving the 106 Gti, F*ckin love it, great little car and handle better than the 16V by far, feels allot tighter and lighter to drive. pedals take a while to get used to and also they don't have the torque of the valver so i find myself bogged down out of junctions (in second :lol: ) gonna run mine through the winter till i get my "new" car. i just had the headgasket and cambelt done and a low mialage gearbox and new clutch so mine will be fine now. It has an ecosse propper induction and an exhaust and it bloody nippy straight out the box. really wanna compare it to a std williams.

o and im lookin at a car tomorrow so might sell soon :wink:

FincH
20-11-2006, 11:20
Heh cool. Deffo sounds like an improvement over the Valver.

Are the pedals that bad? I got size 12 feet, will those pose a problem?

Seen a smart black one on eBay, looks lush in black.

Need to sell the Valver first...any takers?

matt uk
20-11-2006, 11:44
mines black

£1600 ish full tax and test

pics on here in the for sale section bout 2 weeks ago

Dancliovalver
20-11-2006, 13:41

well i find that if you really wanna put your foot down u need to yours the corner of your foot (2-3 smaller toes) coz if you try and use ur whole foot u end up gettin court on the wheel arch, but its fine pnce your used to it :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
20-11-2006, 14:42
I don't think it handles better than the valver, just different. It's a typical PSA way of getting round corners as opposed to the Renaults.

FincH
21-11-2006, 09:44

well i find that if you really wanna put your foot down u need to yours the corner of your foot (2-3 smaller toes) coz if you try and use ur whole foot u end up gettin court on the wheel arch, but its fine pnce your used to it :lol:

Suppose it's just one of those things. A bit like the really heavy clutch on the Clio's.

By the sounds of it, the only problem is the idle. Any ideas how hard it is to fix? Any things I should look out for when buying one?

Cheers.

Dancliovalver
21-11-2006, 11:20
apparently the ISCV sticks open, gonna change the missus at the weekend and ill let u know

Me uncle sed that i can clean it out but its better to buy a new one as alot of the newer 106s and VTS's dont have an idle problem, so if you can find someone breaking a new one it mite be worth buyin the ISCV!!!

hope this helps :lol:

Tommyturbo
21-11-2006, 11:32
good cars very quick seen them pull some good times at pod my mates standard one was faster then a fiesta rs1800 as been said befor he bugerd the gear box up and cost a few bob to be fixed!

northy
21-11-2006, 11:33
good cars....and the tunned ones are hard to shake off around the tracks.

FincH
21-11-2006, 13:47
Thanks for the input guys.

What would be classed as newer? I'm looking at hopefuly about a 1998-2000 model.

So glad to hear they've no where like the same amounts of problems as the Valvers.

david932
21-11-2006, 21:06
my bro's got 1. nice 2 drive , quite fun altho in standard form a williams is a much better buy for the money for handling + performance. oh and if u wanna stay fertile stay away long a/b road journeys r serious ball crunchers.. maybe they intended jus women 2 buy em!