PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a laptop please...

FincH
18-11-2006, 20:02
Wouldn't mind a laptop for college, Internet and listening to music/DvD's on. Cba with PC games.

Found this little beast at work Here (http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0663441910.116387633 1@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfaddjglhghldcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&sku=058358)
Can get it for £450 which is about my max budget.

Anyone got any advice on decent laptops? I've been recomended that one and it looks nice and does what i need from a laptop.

Any advice or links etc would be appreciated :)

Smokey McPot
18-11-2006, 21:16
Looks decent enough. toshiba are reliable and well built.

get it.

nyk
18-11-2006, 21:53
yeah tosh are quite good we use the satellite pro's at work.

Good price for a reasonable spec.

I've always liked Dell's tho.

Smokey McPot
18-11-2006, 22:37
Dells are good cheapo laptops, their build quality in my experience isn't great. The screen hinges used to be weak. Not sure what they're like recently.

Allan
18-11-2006, 22:41
not a bad laptop, what do you intend to be doing with it ?

just working or aiming at playing some games ?

eternalife
19-11-2006, 00:36
Spec looks very decent for the price..

I would say have a little look around...personally i have bought loads of computer stuff from two major internet companies...namely..

www.ebuyer.com
www.dabs.com

always very competitive.

What are you studying ??
If you do any CAD (comp aided design) as i did then make sure you have a powerfull graphics card also - as well as a high FSB / RAM / Processor.
If you do CFD (computational fluid dynamics - Rocket science on pc - also as i did) you need a very powerful machine due to the number of calculations it required to be done. I had a dedicated pc for this.

If none of this is for you and all you want to do is type an essay, format a few pics, create spread sheets and listen to music... then most low end systems will do this more than adequately.

As i said before have a look on the two internet sites i gave ya - seemed to be superb in product, delivery and cust service.

matt uk
19-11-2006, 03:52
i just bought a second hand dell 8600 inspiron laptop

60 g hard drive
1.6ghz processor
uprated graphics card
wide screen thing 15 inch
bluetooth thingy
dvd/cd writer
512 ram thingy

1 year old and still has one year warranty with it

i bought it for just net use and msn messenger

its super fast but i will never use any more than 5gb of the 60gb hard drive

only got it cause it was £350 in my local free ads

still got protective covers on it etc only ever been out box 3 times

definatly get a second hand one this one cost £1079 13 months ago and i picked it up for a third of that!

get on ebay kid trust me

Allan
19-11-2006, 09:40
like i said before what exactly do you need it for :D

as that would be fine for just office apps / the net and music, but GFX wise its lacking a little and probably wouldnt hold up if you wanted to do anything gfx intensive

FincH
19-11-2006, 18:27
Wow thanks for the input :)

Yea basicaly going to be using it for word documents, Internet, Photoshop, photos, music, films etc. Not really into many PC games if any tbh. Basicaly want something quicker and smaller than my current PC with 2.4Ghz P4 Celeron with 512Mb RAM lol.

Also am i correct in thinking that the TruBrite screen is one of those 'shiney' looking ones as opossed to the Mat finish you get on some screens?

Coops
19-11-2006, 18:56
looks fine that one mate, tosh's as have been said are good laptops, steer clear of dell imo, good value for a good reason! :lol: packard bell are crap n all, i've had two but not paid out for em really so thats only reason i got em but they have been pants tbh

Amirclio
19-11-2006, 19:31
Ive got an Acer Aspire 5600 for sale.
Brand new relatively unused! 1.6ghz dual core processor, 100gb hard drive, 2gb RAM, DVD/CD RW, Wireless LAN. few more bits. Awesome machine!
In the box still with everything. PM me if your interested.

FincH
19-11-2006, 19:42
Cheers dude, but was planning on buying brand new and stuff :)

J_A_R_B
20-11-2006, 18:34
Just got a load of Acer 5610 Laptops at work and they pretty smart not as good build quality as toshiba though but much prefer them over Dell Laptops. To be honest lots of them come out the same factory having worked for Acer in the past.

J_A_R_B
20-11-2006, 18:38
It may be worth waiting a bit to see if you can pick up a laptop with intels Merom processor in, which is the mobile version of the dual core conroe chip which is the arguably the best desktop processor on the market at the moment. Going back to the spec seems a pretty good price and good spec 1024 ram will be good if you want to upgrade to vista.