stew
17-11-2006, 12:26
yep some commitment there indeed!

looks fooking fast and scary!

:twisted:

Purple
17-11-2006, 12:36
Crazy
In his case, literally. IIRC, think I read his biography and he said he was clinically insane for about one year after a big crash in Argentina round about '86 or '87.

wavy
17-11-2006, 13:28
hahaha dear god fpmsl :lol:

kj16v
18-11-2006, 01:01
Ari Vatanan: "**** me!"

cliorod
18-11-2006, 01:24
If my memory serves me right :cry: :cry: .That is a clip from "In Car Manx" ,with Terry Harryman reading the notes in the Opel Ascona 400 :P :P ,think that bit is scary,there is a bit,where they just leave the stage start ~~ Ari's intercom aint working :twisted: :twisted: ,so he takes his hands of the steering wheel to try and get it plugged in :twisted: :twisted:

Purple
18-11-2006, 01:54
Sounded like Tony Mason to me.
Though, english navigators in those days all sound like Davaid Attenborough. :D

cliorod
18-11-2006, 13:06
Purple.not wishing to get into a "heated debate",but the credits on the video box say Ari Vatenen/Terry Harryman ~~ I have just checked the video :wink: .In fairness,I do not think Tony Mason,was competing "actively" in that era,he seemed to take a sabbatical after winning the RAC with the late great Roger Clark in the early '70's :wink: :wink: .Last time I had any dealings with him,he was managing The Simmmonite sisters on the British Rally Championship using a Maxi Ford F2000 kit car.He was doing PR work for Shell,for there Interclub motorsport quiz ~~~ which our Motorclub won :lol: :roll: :wink: and the £5000 cash top prize :roll: :wink: :roll:

Purple
18-11-2006, 16:24
Purple.not wishing to get into a "heated debate",but

No worries, my debate never get past lukewarm. It did sounded a bit like Tony Mason to my ears, though the Vatanan/Mason pairing seemed a bit strange chronologically (which, as you pointed out, was not). Gosh, past couple of posts do make me/us sound very ancient, so I will stop now.

cliorod
18-11-2006, 22:28
Hey purple :wink: :lol: :wink: ~~ no worries ~~ great to meet someone else to join the "wrinklies" club of me and Clio Pete" :cry: :cry: .I always say "You are as old as the woman you feel !!!" :twisted: :P :twisted: or something like that.
Perhaps the moderators might start another section " Days of old " :wink: :roll: or a Motorsport :twisted: page !!! should be enough interest on here :wink: :roll: :wink:
Regards
Rod

Purple
18-11-2006, 23:43
Yeah, you just can't find a decent Michelle Mouton fan club on the net these days. :D :D

cliorod
19-11-2006, 01:17
now yer talkin !!! :wink: :wink: Was out watching the Ulster Rally when Walter Rohl "Appeared" ~~ supposedily testing the latest spec Quattro :twisted: :twisted: Yup that 700 bhp Quattro Sport the short wheelbase animal :twisted: :roll: :twisted: ,Spitting flames along its way ~~~ He ended up taking 3 /4 secs a stage of Jimmy McRae.Russell Brookes et al,all in the Grp B cars.Sierras,Asconas etc etc.
I also had the pleasure to meet the late Tom Hammond :cry: :cry: ~~ Owner etc of HAMMONDS FURNITURE !!! :roll: :roll: He had a private collection of Audis,including a works replica of Michelle Moutons "Pikes Peake " car,as well as Hannu Mikkolas "Welsh Rally" winning Eaton Yale car.
Tom had been allowed in to thecomps department at Ingolstadt :roll: :P :roll: ,and piked exactly what he wanted to build this car :wink: a proper beaste :twisted: :twisted: a 700 bhp engine with the clutch pedal driven of air from the servoes ~ as you went to change,i"hit" the button and the pedal was depressed ~~ probably the fore runner of the paddle shift :P :P I will search a pic of this car and post it.
I hope the moderators do not mind me going on and on and on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Apologies to the rest of the board if this bores you ~~~ just to me the hey day of proper rallying :wink: :roll: :wink:

2 live
19-11-2006, 02:26
so wen are the pix up??

;)

most of my memories of cars like this are from rattlin thru kielder etc on the proper rally gb ;)

cliorod
19-11-2006, 03:08
Hi John 8)
Only got to sort through shoe boxes of photos but I promise I will do it soon :wink: