PDA

View Full Version : ****ing landlords/agents have no respect !

summeh
28-04-2005, 14:19
I've just been contacted by my girlfriend at home who's rather distressed because two guys just tried to get into our flat ! They had been given keys and started to unlock the door. If it wasn't for the door being deadlocked they would have got in, while she was in the shower!

Turns out that the agent (landlord) had not given us our 24 hours notice that we are supposed to be given before anyone comes round!

I am ****ing outraged!

KingStromba
28-04-2005, 14:26
When i moved into my present house, there was a flea infestation, as the landlord had pets. I asked for the place to be fumigated but the landlord refused. Then the cold tap on the bath broke. I withheld rent for 2 months and even though i have moved out i still retail control of the property. I have written to the landlord explaining that if she tries to enter the property the police will be called. I told her to go to court if she wants to get a court order for me to return the proterty, but unfortunately i am a devious bastard and i know she doesnt have a ceetificate for the gas boiler (a criminal offence). She knows if she goes to court i will counter claim against her renting me an unsafe property. And all this could have been avaioded if she had fumigated the house when i asked her. I may give the house back in a few months. Maybe i wont.

Loser.

Your gf's landlord has breached the tenancy agreement and she is within her rights to withold some of the rent. I would suggest your gf pays half rent and explains that he is in breach of the agreement and also breaking the law (actually unlawful entry without permission, unless it is an emergency). Also explaing that because she was in the shower she feels violated and is considering taking the matter further and she expects a letter of full apology. I bet he wont do it again.

Tosser

Dilusi
28-04-2005, 14:28
Its shit but they all do it, when I was renting my first place they were trying to sell it while I was living there. They rang me to tell me a possible buyer was coming roundthat evening to see the property, when I told them I wouldn't be there they said its ok we have keys. Needsless to say I changed the locks straight away.

KingStromba
28-04-2005, 14:33
Every landlord i have ever had bar one had tried to **** me over. They have all ended up being ****ed over themselves, as the law is very much on the side of the tenant.

Did you know for example that if you stop paying rent, the landlord has to go to court to evict you? It takes 12 weeks. Even if the court rules you are unlawfully in the property (easy to argue you withheld rent as a drain was leaking etc) the landlord is then only allowed to ask you to leave. To evict you he has to go to court again to get another notice of eviction. And during this time if he tries to enter his own property, you can have his arrested. This process takes approx 12 weeks and even then he has no real chance of getting rent through a small claims court as courts tend to side with someone who is homless over a fat greedy landlord. :D

summeh
28-04-2005, 14:51
Its shit but they all do it, when I was renting my first place they were trying to sell it while I was living there. They rang me to tell me a possible buyer was coming roundthat evening to see the property, when I told them I wouldn't be there they said its ok we have keys. Needsless to say I changed the locks straight away.

tHIS EXACT THING HAPPEND TO US! didnt change the locks though.

I hate it when they say they will come round anyway even if im not in.

I always try to make sure at least one of us is in, you cant trust anyone and i feel like its such an invasion of my privacy.

KingStromba
28-04-2005, 15:00
Sit them down. Tell them youre the daddy. Tell them if they want there house back not burnt out to do exactly as you say.

Works everytime.

Landlords are like dogs. Hit them hard and they will always be afraid of you till the day they die. :D

summeh
28-04-2005, 15:03
it was an agency though... the agency act on behalf of the landlord, who lives in the US anyway!

KingStromba
28-04-2005, 15:08
Agencies are easier to scare. They come over all official and organised. A nice solicitors letter claiming harrassement usually cools them off a bit. :D

Like i say. No judge alive will side with an agency over a tenant. You really can do whatever you like and get away with it.

summeh
28-04-2005, 15:16
lol i could never offered a solicitor, well dunno how much a simple letter wud cost???

KingStromba
28-04-2005, 15:20
£30 to £150

Depends on how well you know a solicitor and how good he is.

Allan
28-04-2005, 15:21
hope my sub is ok in your front room :P

summeh
28-04-2005, 15:22
Anyway we know the full situation now.

The agency had given out the keys to the contractors but "apparently" the contractors would be told by the agency when they could come round (once appointment made).

The contractors "apparently" should not have come round until told by the agency, and where "probably" just trying to see if they could catch us in and see if they could come in, according to the agency. When asked why the contractors attempted entry with the keys the agency said the contractors must have been mistaken and shouldnt have tried using the keys... but why the **** did they give them the keys in the first place then???

i like the idea of witholding my full rent money (580quid) so long as I could get away with it because I am very skint right now :D

KingStromba
28-04-2005, 15:24
Do it

Dilusi
28-04-2005, 15:27
The way I saw it even though I was renting while I was living there and paying the rent it was my home. There was no way I was letting any ****er in unless I had asked for them to come and fix something.

summeh
28-04-2005, 15:50
we decided to report it to the police