PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations - which mount?

AmDaMan
13-11-2006, 17:28
Hi after I took my clio in for the MOT i noticed it had a very annoying vibration, it became more apparent when you blipped the throttle, making the steering wheel and dash vibrate, but then it disappears above 1200RPM. So setting off makes it vibrate etc..

The bloke at the garage said he 'grafted' a new mount for me to stop the gearstick moving (which worked as the gearstick didn't move after the MOT)
However where did this vibration come from? He said as one vibration went it shifted it to another area, in the end i just lived with it.

So what is likely to be causing it? I have a valver on the drive that doesn't vibrate so thinking of swapping some mounts over.. mines a 1.4 though.

Are the mounts the same as the 1.4rt? 1st port of call is the gearbox mount i think but how hard is it to take off and fit to mine? If it still does it, it i hope it is the dogbone, i really hope it isn't that expensive one!

Any help, pics appreciated!

thanks.

Rich
13-11-2006, 17:49
gearbox mounts are the same mate so you can swap it, just support the g/box with a jack when you take it off, should only take you half an hour to do both cars :wink:

Chris H
13-11-2006, 17:55
hes probably jammed somehtign in the dogbone to make it stiffer so it now vibrates.

the engines are not meant to be mounted solidly, the sticks meant to move.

Only reason its seen as a problem on the rens is cos the linkage is a metal bar and it goes to the bottom of the box so it swings more.

AmDaMan
13-11-2006, 18:01
Thanks peeps.

So more than likely it's the dogbone mount? Is that a straight swap to the 1.4 awell? How difficult is it to do?

thanks.

Allan
13-11-2006, 18:37
tbh i wouldnt bother swapping it, just get a new one 30 quid from renault and you known it will be sound ;)

unless you just doing it to test, then its like 2 bolts and you can just push the engine with you hand to move it into possition

AmDaMan
13-11-2006, 18:51
Yeah i can test it 1st, if it's easy enough and it sounds quite easy :D If it cures it I'll buy another if they are only £30.[/code]

AmDaMan
14-11-2006, 13:01
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6816/img3415pg5.jpg

am I going about this the right way? It's just refusing to move, I can't wait for the other rusty one!!!

Rich
14-11-2006, 13:03
yes mate, it will just be tight

AmDaMan
14-11-2006, 13:37
cheers, whats the best way to get that 2nd bolt out? Just hits the downpipe, and i cant get enought leverage to move the engine far enough!

Rich
14-11-2006, 13:47
if the bolt has been put in from that way its best just to undo the exhaust to move the downpipe out the way, however make sure you have some new bolts for the exhaust as they will be rusted to **** most likely and some exhaust paste or gaskets to seal it back up. after you've finished, put the bolt in the other way so you dont have to undo the d/pipe next time to get at it ;)

AmDaMan
14-11-2006, 14:23
thanks, for the help :) Managed to prize it just enough and punch the bolt over the top of the down pipe! Glad I didn't have to undo the exhaust! Look at this:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2806/img3416ju1.jpg

is this where the garage man bodged it!? It's metal touching metal!

martinjw_dton
14-11-2006, 14:58
part r31110 from gsf i got mine today it arrived £19.38 delivered hopefully shouldn`t be a pigto fit and not taking that downpipe off i`ll find another way if i have to

Now then wheres my grinder PMSL