PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke ?

NAPLES VALVER 123
13-11-2006, 17:23
Got a problem and i dont think its going to be a cheap fix so your advice would be great.

The car seems to be driving fine but if you push it then let off the gas loads of blue smoke comes out back.

When accelerating and changing gear there is no smoke just when you let off.

What is the problem and how can i solve it?

many thanks

Amirclio
13-11-2006, 17:43
Have you filled it with oil recently? If so its possible you may have over filled it.
If not could be Piston Rings or valve stem oil seals.

Chris H
13-11-2006, 17:54
its fine live with it.

Andyvalver
13-11-2006, 18:33
its fine live with it.

Agreed

Allan
13-11-2006, 18:35
yeah sounds like rings, i woudlnt worry too much unless its comming out all the time :D

just means you have a well thrashed engine ;D

NAPLES VALVER 123
13-11-2006, 18:44
Thats ok then :roll: :lol:

Gives me a bit of time to save up, what kind of price is it to get it fixed?

Also what kinda of price range are you looking for a engine rebuild? Just trying to plan for the future :wink:

Crossers
18-11-2006, 06:39
Deffo piston rings. just done them on mine, along with the head etc.

No blue smoke for me now :D

Although the car has developed an electrical fault :x

Paul

NAPLES VALVER 123
18-11-2006, 09:15
Deffo piston rings. just done them on mine, along with the head etc.

No blue smoke for me now :D

Although the car has developed an electrical fault :x

Paul

what kind of price did it set you back :?:

stan
18-11-2006, 10:05
nope, sounds mor elike valve stem oil seals. rings would be burning all/most of the time, esp when booting it.

try cleaning the breathers to the inlet.

cheapest fix for stem seals is a second hand head....can be hit or miss tho. best cure is full head rebuild inc new guides, seals etc.

it is a common thing tho....just depends if yours is beyond the normal for these.

BRUN
18-11-2006, 19:16
i dont know that much about engines, but from what ive read before, it sounds more like stem seals to me aswell

y4n
18-11-2006, 19:19
i thought valve stem seals only give a puff of blue smoke upon start up when cold? or is that just fords?

stan
19-11-2006, 16:22
they tend to give a lil puff on start up...esp if th cars been sat for a while un-run. most noticeabl is smoke on over-run when u dabble the throttle e.g. decelerating into a corner, then flooring it coming out.

Crossers
20-11-2006, 03:59
I had the head reconed first (i.e new stem seals). The head was put back on but the same problem existed, only worse.

Spoke to lockstich in rochdale (they did the head) who said that if the blue smoke was still there it would get worse with a reconed head on due to slightly higher compression (pefect sealing valve seats and stem seals), this exerts more pressure on the failing oil controlling ring(s).

So; engine out again, bottom end bearings replaced, pistons out and rings replaced.

problem solved, sweet sounding engine and no smoke :D . Great power gains n'all, totally different beast. After 91,000 she was obviously very tired.

Paul

Crossers
20-11-2006, 04:06
Oh yea, as for cost...that'd be tellin!!

Work carried out by LTR in Bury, parts (rings/bearings) supplied by Lockstich (~£85).

Electrial fault was the renault Cobra immobiliser, now removed with a pair of snips and a soldering iron :twisted: (Colbra UK instructed me over the phone how to disable/remove the immobaliser. v helpful chaps)

Paul

Rich
20-11-2006, 14:01
(Colbra UK instructed me over the phone how to disable/remove the immobaliser. v helpful chaps)

Paul

especially for car thieves!