PDA

View Full Version : Turbo smoke (not williams)

mozzawily
12-11-2006, 11:34
Hi guys,

A friend has a gt turbo which is just started to have white smoke, belive its turbo related, aventually the turbo will need changing but what could he do in the meentime to prolong it? would changing to thicker oil make any difference or not?

Thanks

D

nyk
12-11-2006, 13:21
There is nothing you can do to prolong it, white smoke indicates the seals in the turbo gone.

The longer it is left the more smoke there will be and more damage could be caused to the shaft and bearings of the turbo.

Get it rebuilt asap.

richy
12-11-2006, 13:28
dont drive it, that wil prolong its life lol

its fecked, just hope it dont go fully and run on its oil! revving its tits off untill it pops! :lol:

stan
12-11-2006, 16:34
by white smoke, i take it you mean steam

it sounds more like the headgasket.

worn oil seals, would cause the engine to burn oil, and so give of BLUE smoke,

mozzawily
12-11-2006, 17:05
The car has had a full top end rebuild within a year, its definatley the turbo according to mr mechanic and its white smoke.

stan
12-11-2006, 17:25
ok, well theres no such thing as white smoke....its steam.

doesnt really matter when it was rebuilt, if its been driven hard, or running higher than std boost, its prone to HG failure.

mozzawily
13-11-2006, 11:52
4 thousand miles, driven very lightly, always warmed up and cooled down.

Car is std by the way, its always gives a puff of blue smoke on start up and after a run it will be white smoke.....

Chris H
13-11-2006, 17:39
muwahahahahaha

Stan you mong, its white smoke, thats what comes out the kettle, when you steam vegetables thats wrong you white smoke them you fool.

Nothing like a nice sunday roast with white smoked veggies eh.

ROFL

Its steam, a definition of steam, water vapour released at the point of boiling.

Light grey smoke is brake fluid, thats fun when that burns.

Anyway, easy way to see if it is the turbo is remove the water pipes to the turbo and connect them. no steam then the turbo is the problem. Still there then I'll go with Craigy poo's headgasket theory.

You can run the car without the water feed to the turbo.

nyk
13-11-2006, 19:02
When oil is burnt directly under the heat of a turbo it will vapourise not burn which is why you get the white smoke NOT the blue smoke.
The easiest way to check if a turbo is gone, is by putting your hand underneath it (obviously when cold perferably first thing in the morning) and feel the joints where the snail meets the core and the elbow comes off the core. If your hand comes out with a black tar like substance on it oil is passing the seal and getting hot on the shaft.

It will not be wet it should be fairly sticky and most certainly black.

White smoke is not steam. As above the white smoke is generated by the rapid burning of oil. It doesnt get chance to simmer on a turbo, it is burnt there and then. Blue smoke is generally caused by oil mixing with fuel which causes the blue smoke.

Eliminate the turbo first its easier. If you wanna go all out and double double check it or isnt the turbo, unbolt it from the manifold and run the car. It will be noisy but if it smokes before the turbo (out of the manifold) then its engine.

richy
13-11-2006, 19:31
we have had loads of oil fed turbos go at work and you get a mass of thick white smoke lol should see ppl's faces when they pick up on the oil too, watch them try to stall it before it kills everything lol :lol:

nyk
13-11-2006, 21:48
exactly.

Say 5GTT an people automatically think head gasket.

There is a difference between steam and white smoke.

I've seen many turbo's gone in my time, and the white smoke starts off as a puff, then progresses into a full on cloud that covers the street. As above when the tubbo stalls its all over.

As I said originally, get it rebuilt asap. There are a few places that will do it for around 2-300 quid.

fasterthanjesus
13-11-2006, 22:33
my old 5gtt gave a whiff of black smoke on ignition.

had the fan on permanent to ease the high temps. was told bonnet venting was a winner.

wish i still had my r5 :cry:

nyk
14-11-2006, 00:18
your whiff of black smoke was over fuelling my friend.

LOL

mozzawily
14-11-2006, 07:43
Sorry guys its not a R5 gt its a punto gt..... should of made that clear....

nyk
14-11-2006, 13:20
makes no odds really.

Check for the black tar under the snail as said previously, that will give you a good indication.

richy
14-11-2006, 19:38
a turbo blew up on me a few year ago, just picked up on the oil, started revving its tits off and i couldnt get it to stall at all, totally covered the dual carrigeway in smoke, the back of the car was covered on oil to lol

blew the engine up lol and of course the turbo!