PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox? I dont know!?

chris.g_clio
11-11-2006, 22:16
right, I picked my Clio 16V up today, it drove a dream all the way home, i was very happy with it. Drove from just past barnsley to Tamworth in the midlands to get it home.Once it was home i noticed it needed a bulb for the brakelight so i thought i'd pop to halfrauds and get one.

So i got in my car, pulled away, got down the road and i hear a whirring sound, almost like the sound a remote control car makes when its being used (sorry its the only way i can describe it), i thought nothing of it and put it into third, accelerated then it jumped out of gear, put it back in and it jumped out again.I was worried about the whirring and took it back home to take a look.

Now i'm stumped as to what it could be, Can anybody help?

cheers.

nyk
11-11-2006, 22:26
Gearbox on its last legs. defo if its jumping out of gear.

chris.g_clio
11-11-2006, 22:29
but couldnt the dog bone joint cause it to jump out of gear? im not going the most expensive route first.

nyk
11-11-2006, 23:20
not if its noisy too i wouldnt say so.

You get movement from fcuked dog bone mount and clunk when you let of clutch, gearbox slappin back.

Everyones gearboxes that i know have gone on valvers/willys are with jumpin out of gear.

Leave it like that an soon you wont be able to get it back in gear.

Rich
12-11-2006, 11:20
but couldnt the dog bone joint cause it to jump out of gear? im not going the most expensive route first.
no mate its the box thats ****ed as i said on the other forum

Martin
12-11-2006, 11:48
Did you not test drive it?

Andy P
12-11-2006, 13:00
Best get hunting around for a box before it goes and leaves you in the shit mate.

I told you that RT was too good to sell :lol:

Dan_mk1
12-11-2006, 13:17
I have a 16v box for sale :wink:

number1
12-11-2006, 15:46
Did you pull out throttle happy? i blew my first box up by pulling out of a junction quickly and it just went bang and started whining i had no 3rd instantly. Not a hint of a whine or a crunch beforehand.

Dave

Allan
12-11-2006, 17:18
well if it was new tbh you cant drive them slow when you first get one lol
have to drive it like you stole it :P

chris.g_clio
13-11-2006, 20:12
I have a 16v box for sale :wink:

How much you wanting mate? and what condition is it in, has it done many miles???

Did you not test drive it?

Yes and my dad did, it was fine on the test drive, no sign of a problem at all, was fine on the 90 mile drive home too!

Plattsy
13-11-2006, 21:08
when my box was on its last legs it was jumping out of gear... 135mph in 5th and pop out of gear....shiiiiiiit lol
Lunner swapped it in 2 days iirc?