PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Track Rod End

AmDaMan
11-11-2006, 19:44
Hi, I've got play in my passenger track rod end ( I thought it was the column at 1st) So just went out and bought one from the factors, was only £7.50, was going to get both but out of stock.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8997/img3413dh0.jpg

Was just wanting to know the easiest method of doing it and what problems I might encounter as Haynes makes it sound so hard! Can I change it with the disc and caliper on?

Cheers

Rich
11-11-2006, 19:54
you can change it with disc brake on ect but you need to make sure the tracking isnt out after you change it! tape measure out time to make sure the measurements are the same :wink:

clowo16v
11-11-2006, 20:09
It'll be easier with the disk off but you don't have to. Undo the nut on the trackrod end, then if it comes right off wind it back on a couple of threads and knock the trackrod out with a hammer. Unwind it off the steering arm, then wind the new one back on till it hits the dirty part of the thread as that will be where the old one was. That should be close enough till you get it tracked as that needs doing anyway.

Matt

AmDaMan
11-11-2006, 20:38
Cheers, but what do you mean tap it out with a hammer? Won't that damage the inner track rod threads? Sorry I'm confused :D Cheers for the diagnostic today as well dude 8)

nyk
11-11-2006, 20:50
Just done these, I marked the existing ones how far they were screwed in with tipex, then lay it next to the new one and marked the same.

Screwed it in, tightened up an bobs your uncle.

Done with disc and caliper on.

clowo16v
11-11-2006, 20:51
Doesn't matter if it knackers the threads on the track rod end you're binning it anyway.

Matt

Rich
11-11-2006, 20:56
Cheers, but what do you mean tap it out with a hammer? Won't that damage the inner track rod threads? Sorry I'm confused :D Cheers for the diagnostic today as well dude 8)

he means the bit on the top which goes into the hub which has a nut on it (not the bit that goes onto the track rod itself on the rack.

make sure you have the right track rod too first as if you have female track rods you've got the wrong one.

you will only find out by looking though as it will depend what was on the pallet from the production line as to wether or not its male or female

AmDaMan
11-11-2006, 21:47
ahh right ok, let me see if i've got this right..

1) Unscrew the nylock nut on the bit that attaches the track rod end to the hub.

2) Knock it out with a hammer so it's disconnected totally from the hub.

3) Make a mark of where the track rod is with tipex

4) Unwind the old track rod end off (should this be easy?)

5) Wind the new track rod in up to the tipex point

6) Connect it back up to the hub

I'm 99% sure I have male trackrods :)

Rich
11-11-2006, 22:12
correct, except you need to also undo the nut at the end screwed onto the rack. sometimes the track rod ends come off easy, other times they wont move! on my old1.2 it took 3 HOURS of constant heat and a 2ft wrench to make them budge!!!

AmDaMan
12-11-2006, 12:07
Sounds fun ha ha. 1 thing though, when you get it tracked up at a garage, how do they do it?

1fast6
12-11-2006, 12:30
correct, except you need to also undo the nut at the end screwed onto the rack. sometimes the track rod ends come off easy, other times they wont move! on my old1.2 it took 3 HOURS of constant heat and a 2ft wrench to make them budge!!!

Pretty sure mine are siezed too :(

When you say you needed a 2ft wrench, was that just to loosen the net on the track end? From what i can remember, the nut on mine undid after a while but the rod end still would not undo!

Any ideas?

1fast6
12-11-2006, 12:34
meant nut in the above post not net :wink:

Rich
12-11-2006, 12:53
nut camer loose fine, the track rod wouldnt budge still after that, i needed the wrence to unsrcew the rod end off the rod!

BristolSam16v
12-11-2006, 15:44
So out of interest, how do u know when ure track rod ends are buggered?

clowo16v
12-11-2006, 16:14
You will have play in the steering. Then (with the car on the ground) if you put your hand thru the wheel and grab the trackrod end, then get somebody to turn the wheel you'll feel it clunking.

Matt

AmDaMan
14-11-2006, 15:19
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1751/img3417ce8.jpg

cheers mofos!!!

Tight as a virgin now :D