PDA

View Full Version : Excessive camber

moggs
11-11-2006, 18:18
I took the wheel of today to replace a caliper and have a big bald patch on the inside of the tyre. the rest of the tyre is good for tread but is very worn on the inside.

What is likely to be worn to make it like this? I am replacing front shocks and top mounts next week but what else would do it?

cheers Ian

Andy P
11-11-2006, 18:40
Is it lowered?

i think the toe will be out, get it on a lazer alignment machine and they cant get it spot on for less than £30 :wink:

moggs
11-11-2006, 19:12
It isn't lowered and standard suspension will be replaced.

If it is toeing in/out will that just wear the inside edge? The toe was out when i bought it and i went through a set of tyres in a couple of months before i realised. but they wore out all over not on the edges.

white16valver
13-11-2006, 13:10
Are the springs ok? If the springs have snapped and 'lowered' it then will it not run more camber?

Mine had silly camber on my old knackered suspension - must have just 'sagged' lol

Rich
13-11-2006, 13:17
will be the ca,ber mate, go get it tracked up :wink:

MattyH16valver
13-11-2006, 14:18
Definately the camber m8, the inside of my wheels were rubbing on the struts on my coilovers cos the camber was out so much. I paid £140 to get them laser aligned though! only for one of the bolts to come loose in the stut and it moved :roll: Garaged said that I must have hit a curb, even though I did'nt. I've got my own handmade camber measuring tool now anyway....not paying that much again. Trouble is that ur toe in and out may be incorrect, so it's worth getting a garage to take a proper look. Matt

moggs
13-11-2006, 19:18
So how is the camber adjusted? will be taking the springs off at the weekend to chand shocks and top mounts so will check the springs are ok.
And will any tyre place be able to sort the camber for me?
Cheers Guys for the info

MattyH16valver
13-11-2006, 19:45
It just depends what type of holes that u have on the struts of ur shocks.....If the bottom hole is elongated, then u will have movement and u can either push the strut in or pull it towards u to get the correct camber. I should imagine that u would have to buy some camber adjustment bolts so u can adjust the camber....but they don't come cheap. The tyre place will be able to sort it.....c what they say m8.

moggs
14-11-2006, 19:12
Cheers mate. will go and get them checked after the weekend.

Was your valver at stans getting turned into a hybrid a couple of months back?

Swervin_Mervin
14-11-2006, 19:23
Mine tracks true and is totally standard. I tend to get more wear on the inside shoulders. I just assume its the camber they run.

stan
14-11-2006, 19:47
might be bottom ball joints?

happened on my old valver.

passenger front wheel had about 8degs neg camber, and drivers side had about -5 :lol:

MattyH16valver
14-11-2006, 19:48
Cheers mate. will go and get them checked after the weekend.

Was your valver at stans getting turned into a hybrid a couple of months back?
No m8....had it done at LTR with Winston in Manchester around Feb time. :P

moggs
15-11-2006, 19:23
Right will replace bottom ball joints too. cheers stan!

Sorry matt, was a different matt on here then. my mistake