PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Problem

Swervin_Mervin
11-11-2006, 17:25
Car was in having a few bits done yesterday. They had to also check out why the rear reverse lights flicker in time with the engine revs.

So picked it up and they said they'd cured the occasional backfire and reduced the slight mis-fire it has on clutch take up at low speeds. Nick Hills seen this car and a few others and not had any idea why it does this.

So they reckoned it was to do with the immobiliser and when unplugged it was running sweet. Fair dos thought I. Set off and when I started her up everything was fine.

Since I got it halfway home though the idle will not drop below 1500. Now this has never been a problem for me before. I'm wondering whether there's a link between the ISCV and the immobiliser and that unplugging it has feckered things up.

So:

Is there a default idle speed it runs at if the ISCV is disconnected?

Would re-setting the ecu mean it runs at normal idle for a bit? i.e. did they just reset it for when I picked it up?

Martin
11-11-2006, 17:32
tried turning it off and restarting does it still idle at 1500?

Swervin_Mervin
11-11-2006, 17:34
Yep. And it's squealing like a stuck pig from cold now. If it wasn't for the fact that the brakes left me kissing windscreen for the first time in my whole ownership I'd be really fvcking annoyed.

Jamie.
11-11-2006, 17:34
this happened to me a little while back, it ocurred when i had not driven it in a while.
all i did with mine was to take it out for ten mins and when it was warm i booted it, when i came to stop it was still a little higher than normal 1100 but when i stopped and started it again it was fine.
think sometimes the iscv just sticks?

Swervin_Mervin
11-11-2006, 17:40
Done that. Changed nothing.

Jamie.
11-11-2006, 17:51
it wasnt just a quick drive i was out in mine for a good 10/15mins. seems alot of ppl are having this problem currently, i am seeing posts about high idles all the time.
how much of a drive did you go for?

Swervin_Mervin
12-11-2006, 17:39
A bloody good thraping! :twisted:

Going to go out now and re-connect the immobiliser under the top dash and see if that changes owt.

I also discovered last night that they've screwed the positive terminal cap on upside down. Whether they broke it or it gave up I don't know but it won't go on the right way round without slipping off. :evil:

big hp
12-11-2006, 20:49
Did you say it cures it when you switch the engine off and restart?

Swervin_Mervin
12-11-2006, 23:56
No.

Went out earlier to see what they've done and I don't think they've disconnected the immobiliser. I think they just cut the fvcking wires to it. I am now in a really fvcking bad mood. Not only that but I'm convinced they've taken some PAS fluid out of the reservoir and that it's the pump that's squealing like a bitch not the belt/pulleys etc.

Fvcking pisses me off when garages try and get stuff past you even when it's apparent that you know a bit more than the average numptie. So it goes back tommorrow with the remit that they return it with a working immobiliser and no high idle. If they can't then I'll take it elsewhere and bill them for the work.

big hp
13-11-2006, 00:10
You looked for plugs/connecters unplugged and all plugs/connecters are all the way home? Sounds silly but its all too common

Swervin_Mervin
13-11-2006, 00:33
Yep. I'm convinced that the immobiliser wiring might have been linked to something that affects the ISCV.

Chris H
13-11-2006, 17:47
yep, time to remove the immobiliser properly and rewire the chopped wires.

A job I seem to be doing all the fecking time now on these sort of cars

that and loom wires snapping or rotting in nice hard to reach areas.

Swervin_Mervin
13-11-2006, 20:22
Or just put the immobiliser back in the loom and return it to its working state.

Chris, or others, why the hell would this also have upped the limiter again from 6900 to 7200.

Swervin_Mervin
14-11-2006, 14:36
Bump for the question in my last post.