PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 Clio Sump Guard, Need Some Underbelly Protection!

Jimmie1.4RT
11-11-2006, 01:09
Hi all,

Would like a few pointers on how to go about protecting the underside of the Clio, before I attempt some events next year.
I'm looking at doing some basic road events, scatters and trails with Huddersfield MC in my 1400 Clio.

I know theres rally competition Clio out there, so how do they tackle the problem?

I'm looking to protect the sump and gearbox mainly. Fuel and brake lines still run under the car, so they'll need addressing eventually too.

I've got a mate who can weld, but haven't a clue where to start. Any designs to follow? Wheres best to attach it to?
Any help much appreciated.

Winston
11-11-2006, 15:38
Use cardboard to to get the shape right and there are bolt holes in the sub frame ....I was going to use 5mm alloy

VIPERONE
11-11-2006, 19:22
omp do em

clowo16v
11-11-2006, 20:12
Didnt realise the MC did road rallies I need to join really keep forgetting to. You got an address what I can contact to join?

Matt

Jimmie1.4RT
11-11-2006, 20:45
Cheeeeeers guys! :)

http://www.huddersfieldmc.co.uk
Come along to a meet mate, next is this Monday, I might miss it, but I'll be there on the 20th.
It's a good social thing, we watched 1988 RAC rally and Mull videos last week. :D Quality bunch of folk. :)

You can join at a meet, speak to Rhian. :)

clowo16v
11-11-2006, 20:49
Any chance of a lift up there next time you go not got any transport any more lol.

Matt

Jimmie1.4RT
11-11-2006, 21:07
Barnsley? Bit of a treck, struggling for money ya see at the moment mate. I'll PM ya!

clowo16v
11-11-2006, 21:22
Nah I live at aspley hall in huddersfield lol.

Matt

cliorod
12-11-2006, 00:58
Advert here :roll: :lol: :roll: ,I am the chairman of PENDLE DISTRICT MOTOR CLUB,we are based in the Burnley area,and are putting on a Nat'B' road rally on 3rd/4th March 2007 ~~~ New members always welcome,advice/help to beginners/starters is always available :roll: :roll: ~~ ask 2live :wink: :wink: .I have been a navigator/co-driver for only 30 years,and a driver the odd times.

Back to the thread ~~ I got my mate at "A" Frame engineering to make 4 x 50mm diameter " bosses,about 15mm thick,with a 10mm diameter tapped hole through them,weld them onto the subframe.then put 4 corresponding holes in the ally/steel/dural guard,with a very big countersunk hole.You can now fit the screws flush to the guard,and no protruding nuts/bolts etc.obviously easier if the subframe is off ~~ for accuracy.
Pm ~~ for further details,as I have a sump guard off my rally car you could copy/borrow etc to get the angle of bend/dimensions etc etc.

cliorod
12-11-2006, 01:09
Do not forgot the fuel tank ~~~ On STAGE rallies it is an MSA requirement to have any external fuel tank guarded ~~ cannot help there, :cry: :cry: .I have moved my tank inside,and use a "bag" tank in a light alloy box, :wink:

Jimmie1.4RT
12-11-2006, 08:53
Thanks Rod!
I'm from Burnley and know of Pendle & District, wanted to join then but other things came up. My dad was a member of Springhill many moons ago too. I joined Huddersfield MC couple of weeks ago. Saying that I wouldn't mind being a member of a club on the proper side of the Pennines. ;)
I haven't got my National B licence yet, waiting til the new year (as they run Jan-to-Dec I've been told).

Thanks Rod, thats a big help. I'm in a rush now, but I'll send you a PM later on.

Matt - no worries! 8)

cliorod
12-11-2006, 19:01
Jimmie ~~ whose yer dad !!!!,I was very good mates with the chairman of Springhill,right up until it ceased. ~~~ proper guy called Mal Graham,a good driver and a character,his navigator from those days,his charlie Woodward ~~ top guy,he his the Clerk of Course for our Rally.

ollie16v
13-11-2006, 09:10
Prima use to do one. :D

merlin
13-11-2006, 13:18
OMP use to do a sump guard if you dont want to make your own,they are
not hard to make out of ally,if you are only doing 12cars or scatters you
dont always need a sump guard.I have just got a hybrid to use on road
rallies and go to beverly motor club, and a lot of people dont even bother with sump guards or roll cages.does anybody on here do road rallies with
a clio if so do they find them competitve,have a look at
www.midnightmotorsport.org ken

Jimmie1.4RT
13-11-2006, 13:58
Thanks Ken,

I've looked at the OMP guards, seem to be about £150, so rather have a bash at making one. Hopefully get chance to see Rod's to give me an idea. :) (Rod rallies a Clio mate)

Beverly motor club sounds interesting, I can't get that link to work though. :(

merlin
13-11-2006, 14:41
Hi Jimmie
The link should work i just clicked on it no probs its the
1st one heading WELCOME,if you want any more info on
the north of england road rally scene try the ANCC web site.
I will have to have a word with rod about his rally clio and go
across to his motor club and meet him,i used to rally mk1 and
mk2 lotus cortinas back in the early 70s i still have a mk2 lotus
cortina that i may use on road rallies next year.I also think its
a bit of fun to learn to navigate as well i do on 12 car rallies
thanks Ken

cliorod
13-11-2006, 23:45
Merlin,
There cannot be a lot of difference in our ages :roll: :oops: :roll: .I used to navigate for a guy in Yorkshire in the late '70's ~~ Richard Woodsworth,lived over Storiths way ~~ Bolton Abbey.He was a farmer,and rallied an Opel Kadette GTE,but it had an ex-works 16v t/c engine in it,we finished 3rd :twisted: :twisted: on an event at Flookborough in September 1983 :lol: 8) :lol: .Our road rally in March 2007 is coming over your way :wink: .Any one wanting info on how to get started,please feel free to get in touch,if enough interest,I could be persuaded to organise a navigational scatter or similar event :twisted: :twisted: ~~~ cost £12 to join our club,and £15 for on event 3rd party insurance.Entry is free. :wink:

Moderators please feel to move this,as it seems to be drifting away from the original thread. :oops:
Rodders

stew
14-11-2006, 00:17
^^^THE MAN IS A LEGEND!!!! 8)

love these kinda posts! :twisted:

MAXIBOY
14-11-2006, 01:07
think the works ones were 10 mm thick alloy