PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

delsangels
11-11-2006, 00:42
hi been having few beers with mates, talking about cars been told loads of different engines fit in clios (volvo turbo r5 laguana megane) any truth or just friday night dribble!!!!! cheers del

Joel
11-11-2006, 00:44
Erm yea Flan did this a think...!

so best off asking him

rob16v
11-11-2006, 01:04
think the volvo turbo engine is more or less the same as the engine from an rsi jus with a turbo on it mite be wrong tho

donsrno1
11-11-2006, 01:35
yup all the engines you mentioned can be fitted to a clio and there are a few with each going about. The one flan had was actaully a 20v vag engine, afaik the only Mk1 (in the UK at least) with that engine - but the others are much more straight forward, particularly the laguna and megane engines as you can just use the bottom end with the valver head.

summeh
11-11-2006, 04:29
Mine runs a megane F7R bottom end. You can also fit the megane head but requires some machining and loom modifications.

delsangels
11-11-2006, 18:30
8) cheers for info,do the renault engines run the same loom in each car!! ie just e few wires to change/splice!! i have access to loads of different engines but cant be arsed changing looms unless it gives me LOADS OF POWER!! :twisted: cheers del

Coops
11-11-2006, 20:33
loom comes in 2 parts, body side runs dash etc and then u got engine side, so most of the time can unclip 2 looms and clip in new engine loom for engine, but that only works on similar engines such as other renaults and the volvo lump.

usual conversions are:
F7P (valver) to F7R (williams)
F7R bottom end (either willy or megane) on valver head
winston did an RSi brid which was a 1.8 F3P Rsi engine into a valver
bassdirect has a F3p to F7p then to F7r series of conversions! :roll: :lol:
i believe the 2.0 bottom end off the laguna will fit the f3p rsi head for another direction
most of above is simple reuse of current loom or direct swap

below is more involving, loom swaps and botching etc, especially flans effort! but tbh if the engine physically fits in the bay then it can be made to work somehow, so go mad!
R5 GTT engine into clio shell is also fairly common/simple i believe
Volvo 1.7 turbo fits n all, thats basically an RSi engine with a turbo
and then you got flan who had to be different and fitted a 2001 VAG 1.8 20v engine from a golf, then got audi TT turbo and injectors, fitted them to it, intercooled it made his own mounts n driveshafts n then ran 280BHP through it! :twisted:

Laine_16v
11-11-2006, 21:26
What bhp/torque do those 1.7 turbo volvo engines make?

Coops
11-11-2006, 21:34
Max. output 121.7 PS (120.0 bhp) (89.5 kW)@5400 rpm
Max. torque 175.0 Nm (129 lbft) (17.8 kgm)@3300 rpm

Laine_16v
11-11-2006, 22:21
Hmm would have expected more than that, the turbo only add's 10bhp then? (over normal RSI) :?

Nick16v
11-11-2006, 22:50
with the volvo engine its probably running low boost so i could potentially be more, uve got to remember, it is coming out of a volvo, not some supercar lol

Coops
11-11-2006, 22:53
Hmm would have expected more than that, the turbo only add's 10bhp then? (over normal RSI) :?

its a 1.7 n all, not a 1.8 altho i did hear that its identical engine n just that renault rounded displacement up n volvo rounded down? :? doubt it like but ti cropped up at some point.

tis same output of horses as R5 GTT engine, so a 1.4 tubbie so yep its pretty poo! :lol:

donsrno1
11-11-2006, 23:10

its a 1.7 n all, not a 1.8 altho i did hear that its identical engine n just that renault rounded displacement up n volvo rounded down? :? doubt it like but ti cropped up at some point.

tis same output of horses as R5 GTT engine, so a 1.4 tubbie so yep its pretty poo! :lol:

Think thats right about one rounding up and one rounding down. I've seen quite a few tuners saying they don't think very much of the 1.7 turbo lumps as I believe they aren't the best for getting power out of considering it's a turbo. However, with a bit of work I believe a fiar amount of power can be had from them - but for all the problems with wiring them (which I have been told is an absolute bitch) and the fact they don't necessarily give huge power figures I would prefer to go with an F7R as it's a straight swap and can get good power with some engine work. Also, the F7R looks very similar to teh F7P, meaning some people don't declare the conversion to their insurance - though obviously I wouldn't condone these actions ;)