PDA

View Full Version : QUICK, HELP NEEDED!!1!!

McPikie
10-11-2006, 23:59
Where is the alternator tensioner guys??

I need to replace my belt tomorrow and I won't have net access. I remember someone saying it was some kind of allen key, but don't remember seeing it last time I was in that area.

Oh, and a quick query................ the cambelt, doe that have the cams, crank, idler, tensioner and water pump on it?? Or is the water pump ran off the auxilery belt??

Cheers for your help and much appreciated.

bass_direct
11-11-2006, 00:06
water pump is off the cambelt i think

bass_direct
11-11-2006, 00:08
as for changing belt, **** the tensioner as most of them are mullered...

undo the top alternator bracket and push the alternator forward loosening the belt, put new belt on, and move the alternator back into postition to re-tighten belt.

Coops
11-11-2006, 00:12
water pump is off aux belt, cam belt runs oil pump

u need think its 7mm alan key to counterhold centre of aux belt tensioner pulley and use i think 21/22mm spanner to undo it, its on like a ratchet. so once loosened, aln key moves it along ratchet to tension then tighten up with spanner.

but like bass says most are fooked so if u can use alternator technique! 8)

bass_direct
11-11-2006, 00:19
it's 7mm/21mm combo but you won't get it done lol so use alternator technique

Coops
11-11-2006, 00:20
it's 7mm/21mm combo but you won't get it done lol so use alternator technique

mine was fine :P :wink:

bass_direct
11-11-2006, 00:46
lol it will be with the engine out lol :lol:

DaveH
11-11-2006, 01:23
its sh*t to get to because there are some pipes that run in the way unless you lift the engine slightly,

I tried the above mentioned alternator technique and there wasnt enough movement in the alternator so it just left the belt loose but i managed to get just enough tension using the 21 spanner without touching the allen key. iirc the large not is the part that tensions the belt when moved and the allen key locks it when tightened.

DaveH
11-11-2006, 01:25
could have that the wrong way round thinking about it- no edit button!

bass_direct
11-11-2006, 10:47
its sh*t to get to because there are some pipes that run in the way unless you lift the engine slightly,

I tried the above mentioned alternator technique and there wasnt enough movement in the alternator so it just left the belt loose but i managed to get just enough tension using the 21 spanner without touching the allen key. iirc the large not is the part that tensions the belt when moved and the allen key locks it when tightened.

not enough movement in the alternator? undo the bottom bolt a little and swing the alternator out the way! if still not enough movement, get the hammer out! :)

McPikie
12-11-2006, 14:09
Done it. Cheers for the advice guys.

Seems the alt belt tensioner is shagged, not the cambelt, weeeeeeeee