PDA

View Full Version : Hmm 1.6e Hyrbid...aka. Clio Rallye

FincH
08-11-2006, 16:09
This is a very crude idea in my head atm but what with rising petrol costs, tax. insurance and general running cost of owning a 'hot hatch' I'm swaying towards going back to a Clio RT.

The Clio 1.4 RT came fitted with a very good engine, the E7J, producing 75-80Bhp. Renault also made the K7M which is the 1.6 Energy engine. This engine uses some annoying MPi system and prodces 90Bhp.

Now, here's my idea. As far as I know the 1.4 SPi head can be bolted onto the 1.6 bottom end instanly giving more power. The beauty of the Energy head is it responds well to porting and polishing etc, also if you get one from a Ph1 or Ph2 Clio it's of a better design (helps produce more power)than the Ph3 heads and MPi Megane head.

So I'm thinking, 1.4 head with headwork, 1.8 Laguna TB, mated to a 1.6 BE should produce in the region of 100Bhp, couple this with Valver front brakes and front and rear suspenion plus some Williams wheels and a bit of stripping it could be a cheap to build and run warm hatch that looks good and handles well.

The Energy engine is hard as feck and easier to work on than the F7P. Also it should cost less to tax and insure, look good and go well.

I'm thinking all in this could easily be done for under £800 including parts and a non rotting RT.

What do you think? Crazy or just plain stoopid?

:lol:

nyk
08-11-2006, 16:12
why not go for an RSi engine?

still pretty ecomnomical with having only 8 valves?

Seems a lot of work for little gain.

Matty86
08-11-2006, 16:12
would you be declaring the mods? :o would it work out much cheaper than a valver to insure if you do?

Also, whats the savings on tax? 50quid? :o

apart from that, sounds like a great project

unrealneo
08-11-2006, 16:58
I have the Lag 1.8 TB if you want.

Winston
08-11-2006, 17:38
I vote Rsi engine ...I made a valver rallye

F7P licks balls .....F3P rules

Pist ....still got my engine and box going cheap :wink:

FincH
08-11-2006, 18:51
Like I say, this is still just an idea/

I did contemplate an RSi but tbh the plan is to try and make a 'light' nimble car and the F3P is larger and more cumbersome than an E7J and larger which isn't what i want. Also the K7M only has a longer stroke over the E7J so I'm assuming the weight of the car will remain about the same:

Say 830Kg realisticly speaking with a few bits stripped =

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 105
Weight without Driver (KG) : 830
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 128.54
0 - 60 (Secs) : 8.25
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 16.75

Those are the kind of figures I'm looking for...basicaly, as you did a great job of Winston and make a kind of Clio Rallye but I'm gonna opt for a smaller engine.

Anyone know fo sure if the engine's will mate? and how much headwork will be?

I'm really keen on this idea now lol.

Winston
08-11-2006, 18:56
Glad im not the only one who has ****ed up ideas lol

I was all for RTin my new valver last week :shock:

Chris H
08-11-2006, 19:32
you have harked on about this crap for years finch

the meg uses the staright port head with peaks for the injectors on the manifold face.

The 1.6 doesn't rev thats why its powers limited. Got a goiod amount of torque though.

The RSI lump or 2l lag lump us a better idea as more power and they are the same road tax bracket.

the 16v's are perfectly reliable assuming you don't buy a nail which most seem to do.

The rsi engine is no larger or heavier than the 1.6 Energy engine.

FincH
08-11-2006, 19:42
you have harked on about this crap for years finch

the meg uses the staright port head with peaks for the injectors on the manifold face.

The 1.6 doesn't rev thats why its powers limited. Got a goiod amount of torque though.

The RSI lump or 2l lag lump us a better idea as more power and they are the same road tax bracket.

the 16v's are perfectly reliable assuming you don't buy a nail which most seem to do.

The rsi engine is no larger or heavier than the 1.6 Energy engine.

No Chris, I mentioned about this for my old RT....this is a totaly different idea.

Ah, ok, I assumed that the K7M was the 'banana port' style head.

What are the weights of the K7M vs an F3P? Any idea. I thought there would have been a bit of difference.

Lighter than a Valver though it would be.

Cheers for the input.

Coops
08-11-2006, 19:45
if u rekon you can have a go for 800 quid mate personally i'd just go for it, it sounds interesting and unique and for me thats all it needs! 8)

Chris H
08-11-2006, 19:48
still a clio, still a 1.6 megane engine same idea.

it would be lighter than a 16V yes as is the RSI

Theres not much between the 2 engine.

The RSI head is smaller than the energy heads
the 1.6 block is all cast iron not cast and linered like the 1.4's.
RSI exh man is tubular not cast
from memory the 2 fully completed heads feel abotu the same pullign them off a block.

I have an RSi lump and box and an energy lump and box but no way of weighing either for an accurate estimate!

TBH I would imagine there was less than 20kg's in it, maybe less than 10.

RSI engine with a 16V flywheel would be a bit of a machine.

Daz.
08-11-2006, 23:50
Glad im not the only one who has f**ked up ideas lol

I was all for RTin my new valver last week :shock:

That not happening now?! :lol:

Dude PM!

Plattsy
10-11-2006, 10:28
Why not R5 turbo engine? light and more powerful and more tuneable!