PDA

View Full Version : Aux belt tightening

Purple
07-11-2006, 12:22
Any quick and lazy way to tighten the aux belt? Gotten a bit squeaky past few weeks and the belt conditioning spray doesn't do the trick anymore. Cheers.

Laine_16v
07-11-2006, 12:46
1) Drivers side headlight out.

2) 10mm ratchet with extension do undo a bracket that obstructs the pulley, once the front bolt is off just push it as high as it will go so you have access to the allen key hole.

3) Put spanner on pulley, place slight pressure on it then undo the allen key in the middle, this should stop it from damaging the adjustment teeth.

Spend about 30 mins swearing and cutting your hands up as you find the best way to hold the belt right and do the allen key hole up (or get a mate to lend a hand.

4) head light in job done

I need to do this too as mine a little squeaky on cold start, however i dont have a 7mm allen key hanging around.

But i have done it before and tbh i found the best result was to tighten it as much as you physically can. Once done up there will still be some twist in th ebelt but thats fine.

No doubt someones going to come along and tell me how overtightening lots will destroy all the bearings in the ancilarys.

Chris H
07-11-2006, 12:55
fook that, if its a quick job, undo the alt bracket, stiick a couple of washer in there.

Purple
07-11-2006, 13:06
Thanks Laine, will give that try. Mine has a big ol' AC compressor in there as well, so might get interesting.

Laine_16v
07-11-2006, 13:13
Thanks Laine, will give that try. Mine has a big ol' AC compressor in there as well, so might get interesting.

Oh right lol in that case you will kill yourself from the amount of frustration you through :P