PDA

View Full Version : The time has come - Repsray options

Daz.
05-11-2006, 18:30
Right, none of this Twistedstyling bull shit this time..

I want a few NW options to try, take my car to them see what they come up with, don't know yet how far to go with it - we'll see what the lads at the shops think of the arches but how far down the engine bay do they usually go? just some surface rust on the top fram around the engine and some surface under the boot carpet..

I want to do it right this time, don't want it to start needing more work in 18 months....

FATBOY
05-11-2006, 19:12
just reminded me! spray jobs! what happened to smokey????? thought he was taking williams jr's old man to court??? havent heard anything in ages?

VIPERONE
05-11-2006, 19:15
daz speak to crossers on here, he has found a good arch place... that will replace rust with welded sections not filler and spray for a ton

Jamie.
05-11-2006, 19:18
last time i looked at your williams it was in pretty good nick, so why are you going for a respray?

Daz.
05-11-2006, 19:32
last time i looked at your williams it was in pretty good nick, so why are you going for a respray?

Pretty good isn't silly mint though is it 8)

Northy said he knew a good fella too actually - NORTHY!!!

Matty86
05-11-2006, 19:33
daz speak to crossers on here, he has found a good arch place... that will replace rust with welded sections not filler and spray for a ton

that would be worth the drive! (even accommodation lol)

Laine_16v
05-11-2006, 19:38
Where is this guy, i now need a sill/arch adressing to.

Mattie
05-11-2006, 20:06
i want a full respray as well but i dont think theres much point unless u dont drive your car often....before u know if there will be stone chips and parking dings all over your car again!

Lunner
05-11-2006, 20:10

My car wont' be going anywehre near anywehre so cheap untill i've seen his work and seen how it holds up after a year, you pay for what you get, places are cheap for a reason, as has already been proven

Daz.
05-11-2006, 20:33
i want a full respray as well but i dont think theres much point unless u dont drive your car often....before u know if there will be stone chips and parking dings all over your car again!

To be fair though if most cars are looked after it'll last again as long as its lasted the first time...

I reckon I can look after this car better than the previous owners - so a decent respray should last another decade..

I can manage to respray the car every 10 years :D

I've done what I thought was a fair price for a shit respray - it could be £50 or £500 a panel but no-ones touching it till I've seen the previous work

big hp
05-11-2006, 20:46
No reason why a quality respray and a few cans of waxoyl cant stop it returning for another 10-15yrs if looked after properly by a enthusiast.

Daz.
05-11-2006, 23:05
^^^ Thats my aim, but obviously it needs to be good in the first place...

I seem to remember you were happy with yours fella? care to share? :wink:

northy
06-11-2006, 08:59
i have a number mate - he is over in wakefield.

Will remember it tomorrow. But go for the best job you can afford.

schakal
06-11-2006, 09:12
imo its not really worth having a respray
without having the under and inner body
of the car rust proofed first ?? :roll:

bill.
06-11-2006, 12:49
daz, i know of a fella in read, (Simonstone) 20 minutes away, he sorted my valver out, i was not dissapointed with the results, it was a very good finish, my williams will be going there at some point, if you want to know where it is, give us a shout and i'll show you, he'll happily give you a quote, so no harm in that is there.

Daz.
06-11-2006, 18:11
Ahh cool fella - yeh would be good to get a few quotes - a "just finished" car rolling out would help too! :D

Daz.
06-11-2006, 18:16
imo its not really worth having a respray
without having the under and inner body
of the car rust proofed first ?? :roll:

Well these are the kind of questions I need to ask? :roll:

I know theres lots more to it then just having fresh paint slapped on the outside but I don't fully know what I need yet.

It's like the boot for example, where the sound deadening is, theres surface rust along the seams - was on my valver and on the rt and on this - is it surface? does it need cutting out? what causes it? condensation? leaks? wear an tear? where do you start and stop a respray in that situation?

Mattie
06-11-2006, 18:48
No reason why a quality respray and a few cans of waxoyl cant stop it returning for another 10-15yrs if looked after properly by a enthusiast.

very true but iv got a massive stone chip on the underside of my drivers door....nothin i could have done to stop that really, so its not just rust you have to think about!

Daz.
06-11-2006, 22:06
To be fair I know that as soon as I have work done, and as soon as I take the car out its gonna get chipped, scratched, god forbid parking dents but from my point of view an respray is like a new car (to me personally) fresh paint fresh start like a new car would be..

All the mint willys out there are mint willys because they were looked after properly from the beginning - if the respray covers all the the problem areas and rust has been stopped (unlikely underneath and round the bottom of the engine I know) then I can't see why you can't maintain it and keep rust away...

The missus likes those new corsa's, I could buy one of those brand new tomorrow and it's still gonna get battered around - the mint ones in years to come will be the ones that have been looked after properly - I know which I'd rather have...

Daz.
06-11-2006, 22:07
To be fair I know that as soon as I have work done, and as soon as I take the car out its gonna get chipped, scratched, god forbid parking dents but from my point of view an respray is like a new car (to me personally) fresh paint fresh start like a new car would be..

All the mint willys out there are mint willys because they were looked after properly from the beginning - if the respray covers all the the problem areas and rust has been stopped (unlikely underneath and round the bottom of the engine I know) then I can't see why you can't maintain it and keep rust away...

The missus likes those new corsa's, I could buy one of those brand new tomorrow and it's still gonna get battered around - the mint ones in years to come will be the ones that have been looked after properly - I know which I'd rather have...

nyk
06-11-2006, 22:26
My cousin runs his own company in Rochdale and he is very good.

He's not cheap tho.

But as Lunner said you get what you pay for.

He welded panels in my arches and got rid of the rust and painted them over 12 months ago and there is no sign of anything coming back at all. I had a full paint job on my car about 7 months ago as well.
He's got a very good reputation in Rochdale and does a lot of restoration work.

PM me if you want his contact details. It's worth getting a few quotes and looking at a few places quality of work before you decide on a place.

:lol:

Daz.
06-11-2006, 22:29
Any numbers for quotes are very welcome thankyou..

I certainly would expect there would be nothing showing after 12 months!!! :shock:

If rust comes back after 12 months then I'd expect a full strip down and respray again as its clearly not been cut out correctly! :lol:

nyk
06-11-2006, 22:31
you'd be surprised by some places!!!

LOL

nyk
06-11-2006, 22:34
01706 860950

make sure you speak to John Nyland, owner.

bill.
07-11-2006, 10:13
Ahh cool fella - yeh would be good to get a few quotes - a "just finished" car rolling out would help too! :D

no worries, just give us a shout when your ready, he's always got a couple of cars in, so you should be able to see what his works like!

Daz.
07-11-2006, 17:19
Cool - I'll try and sort out a weekend when I'm free and go to a few...

jay s
07-11-2006, 17:31
just got a quote from carisma for a full body respray on a valver/williams was £2000 with a 12 month warrenty, sounds alot but my car will be going there when its respray time. ive seen all 3 of there cars in the flesh and paintwork is stunning on all 3.

Daz.
07-11-2006, 17:45
just got a quote from carisma for a full body respray on a valver/williams was £2000 with a 12 month warrenty, sounds alot but my car will be going there when its respray time. ive seen all 3 of there cars in the flesh and paintwork is stunning on all 3.

Is that engine out?

jay s
07-11-2006, 17:49
nah don't think so, i did ask if that included under the bonnet and he said no but does include shuts etc, the phone number is 01206865200 need to speak to martin, afaik the old paint is taken off then new laid on top none of this spraying over old paint etc

jay s
07-11-2006, 17:53
oh and it takes 10 days drive in/out

Daz.
07-11-2006, 17:54
thats an awful lot of £££

Potentially £500 more than my top budget would have been...

jay s
07-11-2006, 17:59
yep is alot but its 1 of the only companys id trust to do mine, can't put a price on quality when it comes to paint imo. ask rich 16v on cs who done his as thats a cracking spray job, i reckon that cost a few bucks tho.

Daz.
07-11-2006, 18:15
True...

I still think you'd be able to get as good a job cheaper possibly from a local independant shop.

I'd be more interested in policys and warranties - No handshake deals for me - I want it in writing that if its not upto scratch it gets fixed by them for nothing or someone else at there cost :lol: