PDA

View Full Version : Why i use mobil 1.

willy3ams
02-11-2006, 12:08
Extract from the WWW.

Company tests synthetic oil by driving car a million miles
This column was published on May 23 in the Herald-Journal.

Author: Kenn Peters

Imagine driving your car or truck for 1 million miles. Why, it would take forever. And then you'd have to be driving around the clock.

Mobil, the oil and gas company, did it when it was developing Mobil 1. It took four years to cover the miles.

Bill Maxwell, an environmental engineer and head of product development for the Mobil Technology Co., in Paulsboro, N.J., said the company did high-mileage tests of Mobil 1 synthetic oil during 1989 and 1990 in two Oldsmobiles with General Motors' since discontinued Quad 4 engine.

The cars were put on a treadmill and run for 200,000 miles. The oil in one car was changed every 7,500 miles and in the second car every 15,000 miles, Maxwell said. At the end of the 200,000 miles, the car's engines were torn down and found to be in perfect condition.

"It was astounding. The engines looked like they were virtually new," he said. Mobil learned from that test that even people who break the rules by not changing their oil on schedule will be forgiven by the oil.

But Mobil wasn't satisfied. So the company bought a BMW 325i with a 2.5-liter in-line 6-cylinder engine. The company decided to go for broke and run the BMW 1 million miles.

The BMW spent four years on the treadmill, 24 hours a day, mostly at 85 miles an hour, but with varied speeds, too, down as low as 45 miles an hour to simulate everyday driving.

Mobil followed BMW's recommended service schedule. Along the way it changed the fan belt and hoses and did other hardware maintenance. It religiously changed the oil.

AT THE END of the road, when the engine was taken apart, Mobil's engineers discovered that the wear measurements were the same as the manufacturer's specifications.

Today that synthetic oil is commonplace not only for vehicles on the road, but those on the racetrack, too.

The 5W30-weight Mobil 1 is used almost exclusively by racing teams on the NASCAR circuit, and most Indy-type cars use 15W50-weight Mobil 1, Maxwell said. Military fighter planes have been using synthetic oil for a long time, he said.

One of the basic elements of synthetic oil is a so-called synthetic fluid, the development of which evolved over the years until it became obvious it could provide lubricating benefits not obtainable with mineral oils, Maxwell said.

ONE OF THE oil's toughest tests was in heavy equipment that does duty on the Alaskan pipeline. The oil must perform in temperatures that dip to 40 below zero, Maxwell said.

Oil companies are constantly being pushed to develop new products to meet the demands of engines that run hotter, Maxwell said.

"We want higher fuel efficiency and that means cars will be much more streamlined, hood areas will get smaller, and engines will have to be smaller," he said. "That will result in less air flow."

What all this adds up to is hotter running engines and more demands than ever on engine oil.

Incidentally, have you ever noticed how often manufacturers claim products have been used for years in Europe before they come to the United States? Well, that's the case with Mobil synthetic oil. Maxwell said it has been used in Europe for over two decades.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My RT has done 150,000 and its had mobil 1 in it since 20,000.
Still sounds and runs the same as the day i bought it.

:thumbsup:

Chris H
02-11-2006, 12:37
that was years ago.

Waste of money IMO. My old energy done 206k on a mix of castrol GTX then after 150 k comma lite and theres no wear on the engine at all. It was taken over 8krpm daily.

the pics of the bores etc were up on here ages ago.

wavy
02-11-2006, 13:01
1 million miles is a hell of a long way
sounds like good stuff 2 me

BenR
02-11-2006, 15:51
marketing hogwash.

1 million miles in 4 years is an average of 29mph..............they must of stopped for incredibly long periods to allow speeds as high as 85mph.

Secondly............ZERO wear occurs when the engine is running and the oil clearances are working correctly under oil pressure.......why should any dimentions change if nothing is touching anything else?.......they are playing on ignorance.

Following service schedules, joy..........en engine running non stop and having the oil changed next time it stops is not going to experience any degredation, especially when temps dont get high because of controlled conditions.

About 95% of engine wear and damage is caused by dirt and foreign particles, which almost exclusively present themselves in the cold starting phase when metal DOES touch metal for a short period of time before pressure is built around the whole engine. Remove the start/stop from the milage tests and bingo, you can go on forever.

Taxis do loads of miles and run fine as their engines never stop.

And i'd like to say that nascar doesnt almost exclusively use mobil, nor does the NHRA or INDY, and certainly not of that viscosity.

FincH
02-11-2006, 16:15
Owned.

Daz.
02-11-2006, 17:30
He may have a point there :lol:

Andyvalver
02-11-2006, 18:00
I use whatever is cheapest :wink: Its still goin :P

Daz.
02-11-2006, 18:01

That shitter not died yet?! :lol:

Andyvalver
02-11-2006, 18:02
Actually i thought we were on about fuel, never read it all lol.

Magnatec baby :wink:

Northy, sort out the edit button cuz i keep making a prick of myself :evil:

:wink:

Andyvalver
02-11-2006, 18:22

That shitter not died yet?! :lol:

Not yet :wink:

stan
02-11-2006, 18:58
As Ben said..they havnt truly simulated an engines life, as they havnt had regular cold starts.

Its also fairly in-conclusive, as they didnt test against another oil, branded or not. i.e., they havnt proven that £5.99 oil from Asda wont protect the engine as well under those test conditions.

Chris H
02-11-2006, 19:40
its £3.48 stan.

i used the asda engine oil in a box for 20k without damage! lol Done another 30k after that before the thign was written off.

stan
02-11-2006, 19:51
:D

i filled my van with Asda 20/50 "gloop" yesterday....has quietened her down a treat :lol:

Chris H
02-11-2006, 19:56
its not bad tbh, although you know you can't get all theoil oiut? Well if you pour the wee tiny bit out theres sediment in it! lol

change it often enough it does the job.