PDA

View Full Version : Twat engine mount or some shit AKA another ****ing problem.

FincH
28-10-2006, 22:34
Ok so project wallet cancer (aka Clio 16v) has decided it's not happy with the amount of hundereds of pounds I've thrown at it this month so has thrown a tiz.

I can't quite work out what is going on but a sledge hammer will probably fix it.

I changed the dogbone mount on the dickhead car but still the problem is there.

The problem being that it sounds like the engine or exhaust is rubbing on something but I can't see what. When in gear it's like a vibration that runs up through the coulum and vibrates the dash. It gets worse the harder you rag it.

Also the engine seems to be flopping about quite a bit. Shakey shakey.

I tightend up the three bolts on the battery tray/gearbox mount as they were as loose as a faggots backside and you could actualy see the gay engine moving up slightly :shock:

So, problem solved? Nope. It's worse now. makes a racket all the time. Almost like an IK roar but shitter. And now the PAS is in on the act and it sounds like it's struggling/whining but only on full left lock...on right lock all the problesm seem to go away.

Any ideas? Mount shagged? Maybe it needs 'resetting' (as in mounting correctly)

Any ideas? Before I burn the twat of a car.

Cheers :?

clean16v
28-10-2006, 23:16
the battery tray has a mount underneath it. If the engine was being pulled up as you tightened the nuts as you say, this could be the problem.

Battery off, jack up the box from underneath...strip down the battery tray, check the mount. Tighten it all up.

The three bolts you speak of under the battery is where the mount meets the battery tray. 1/3 of the mounts holding the engine in place!

Andy P
28-10-2006, 23:17
lol @ wallet cancer.

Just get 2 new mounts imo mate. Happened on my naples the dogbone mount didnt fix the problem.

Tried topping the fluid up? Mine uses a bit of fluid, top it up every couple of months.

Its starting to whine again so i'll do mine tomorrow

FincH
28-10-2006, 23:35
Thanks for the info Clean16v. I can only imagine the engine has moved when the bolts have been loose and now the dogbone and stuff are mounted wrong and holding the engine awkward...but it still seems to flop around :(

As for the PAS. The pump was replaced about 8 months ago and it seems strange that it's making a noise now that the engine isn't mounting correctly.

Maybe the engine is pushing the rack awkwardly or resting on it :?

clean16v
29-10-2006, 02:22
How noisy is it? All clio's that i've ever known have had noisy PAS, and i've seen a lot!

mattyc
29-10-2006, 11:40
This is what happend to mine about a month ago. What happend to mine is the dogbone mount went bang, and it snapped the bolt clean in half on the battery tray mount (the bolt is the part that holds the gearbox up). I got a new bolt made up for the mount (as i was off to uni the day after and didn't have time to order from renault).

This fixed the problem, but the car is still making a dirty noise when turning right! thats getting looked at on monday, so i'll let u know how it go's.

Lunner
29-10-2006, 11:41
Just check around the engine, see if its close to anything, there is about 10mm or so movement in teh mounts, so as above, quite possibly engine is sat in place, if it does it when sat still reving, then rev it from engine bay and see what its hitting

FincH
29-10-2006, 21:26
It's fairly noisy I suppose, but the pump was replaced like 8 months ago with a fully recon unit. Seems like it only does it on full left lock and this just so happens to be the side of the dodgy mount.

Doesn't seem to be anything touching as far as I can see but needs to on some ramps tbh and I've checked all the mounts and they aren't visualy broken.

This is o annoying. Seems to have done it after I had the car re-MoT'd and they fitted the cat (which has been replaced with a de-cat now.

Christ on a bike this car is a cunt.

Amirclio
30-10-2006, 09:26
The vibrating up the steering column sounds like the down pipe rubbing on the steering rack. Happened to me when i had my exhaust changed and the monkeys at poweflow didnt put the new one on properly. Get under and have a look.

Rich
30-10-2006, 13:09
the vibrating for me when it happened was a broken gearbox mount (the locating pin with the big nut on thats inthe middle) thus moving the downpipe onto the rack so it will be either or mate, way i sussed a broken mount was that i lock to locked the car with the engine running and the engine was moving itself round like a good 'un in the engine bay all by itself

FincH
30-10-2006, 18:57
Cheers for the info guys.

I got a replacement mount on order from my home boy Winston and the 'extra' R19 mount courtesy of Gentle Ben.

Cheers.