PDA

View Full Version : Diffs for Willy box?

MatBrown
26-04-2005, 19:37
Just wondering what diffs are available and how much we're looking at?

Thinking more along the lines of an LSD.

One for you Jon as i know you've looked into this, and maybe Mark can shed some light.

Mat.

2 live
26-04-2005, 20:06
well mate.....not a whole lot of choice tbh....gripper and avanti.......altho quaiffe are alledgedly on the case

failing that....it comes back to sadev n sequentials lol

Mark_Ritchspeed
26-04-2005, 22:05
Yep, pretty much. There seems to be no cost-effective options that I have found. At the end of the day as I dont really see traction as much of a problem in a Willy I would rather spend the £1k+ on other things that would give bigger performance advantages.

I have also seriously considered putting an Integra Type R engine/box combo in complete. Its lighter, more powerful, more reliable, has more scope for tuning and the box has an lsd as standard.

Swervin_Mervin
26-04-2005, 22:22
Hmm. Now there's an idea. How much would a lump and 'box retail for Mark?

Mark_Ritchspeed
26-04-2005, 22:41
Wouldnt be cheap. I would say at least £1500 if not more for engine/box with ecu and loom etc. On top of that their would be a lot of time taken making brackets, exhausts, driveshafts so the costs would quickly mount.

I still may do this at some point as realistically it would probably cost around £2k if you could do all the work yourself and with a few very basic mods you should be pushing 215-220bhp completely reliable ,with plenty more scope. At the end of the day though a stock JDM 1.8R lump with VTEC controller, filter and exhaust should see a very, very easy 205bhp+ and would also lower the Clio down in class to the sub 1.8 cars.

I would probably do a project like this as a ground up build though and start with another bare shell.

2 live
27-04-2005, 09:09
best way to do it mate......start from scratch an fabricate as and wen required just as u say.....takes a lot of time lol

y0z2a
27-04-2005, 11:02
There will be a 172 LSD in the next few months.

I think it COULD (not sure) go in the williams.

aside from that, just the above stuff available.

/y0z

VIPERONE
27-04-2005, 11:17
Some one on here was liaising witha company over the manufacture of lsd....(not acid tablets)

Slithers
27-04-2005, 11:29
Some one on here was liaising witha company over the manufacture of lsd....(not acid tablets)

Yo

Me and quaife, after months of e-mails and phone calls they should be producing one in the summer.

Round 600 quid + vat per unit i reackon.

Purple
27-04-2005, 12:10
IMHO, LSD may not be appropriate for the Williams. With its standard engine performance, suspension and sticky tyres, it is already a very quick car out of slow corners. With active LSD cutting-in, it may "corrupt" the steering feel in the corners.

But what I do sometimes wish I had was some sort of electronic TC when launching the car on slippery surface (afterall, F1 renaults are suppose to be best in that area). Am afraid "my right foot" TC is just not up to the job fast-launching on rainy days. :)

Tommo
27-04-2005, 12:28
Get an LSD if you can afford it, you can boot it in first with virtually no wheel spin (in the dry) and with very little torque steer, get Koni suspension all round and a strut brace and you'll be able to out handle anything else on the road. Gripper LSD's are about £800. It hasn't corrupted the steering feel in mine although I really do need to drive a standard willy to make comparisons...

Purple
27-04-2005, 12:47
Get an LSD if you can afford it, you can boot it in first with virtually no wheel spin (in the dry) and with very little torque steer, get Koni suspension all round and a strut brace and you'll be able to out handle anything else on the road. Gripper LSD's are about £800. It hasn't corrupted the steering feel in mine although I really do need to drive a standard willy to make comparisons...

Would be great if you could do a comparo. Perhaps with the FCS-bound Williams, if you are going.

Not much of an issue in the dry on my standard setup too. Though I suspect stiffer shocks - like the Konis - may help reduce rear-suspension squats when launching. But am quite happy with the ride/handling compromise of the standard KYBs.

Is lift-off oversteer still inducible with the LSD installed?

Tommo
27-04-2005, 13:10
Yeah I'm going to the FCS purplesun, I really need to get it on a track mate to take it to the limit as there's only so far you can push it on a public road, the handling is f*ckin insane tho, I took my mate for a spin the other day and went into a roundabout @ about 60mph and just stuck to the road, he totally shat himself!! It's personal preference really mate, I bought mine cos it had all the mods already fitted by the original owner, the LSD is very expensive and as you say standard willys handle well enough anyway...