PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to change a clutch cable?

FincH
24-10-2006, 17:31
Read through the guide on this site but am wondering as of some sort of time scale.

Garage has quoted between 1-2 hours but they charge £32 p/h so I don't want it taking 5.

Realisticly how long should it take a compitent mechanic to do?

Cheers.

stew
24-10-2006, 17:32
wrong section really...

prob 1.5hours max.

stop being lazy and do it yourself for free tho.

FincH
24-10-2006, 17:37
Opps, thought this was mechanical...honest 8)

Yee I would try it myself but then if I cant do it then it'll be stuck in the middle of no where.

Foz
24-10-2006, 17:48
Hi my mate did mine on my old valver in the pouring rain down a ginnel at the side of his house (hardly any space at each side of the car) in a few hours. Never done it before either. The worst bit seemed to be getting the pedal bit right but managed in the end. Even if it goes wrong your only going to be where you started ie. driving it to garge with no clutch.

FincH
24-10-2006, 19:17
Thanks for the input.

I am half tempted to try it myself now actualy but dont wanna balls it up or smash my car in frustration...also being rather tall (6ft 5") ain't much room for me in the cabin let alone the footwell.

Oh descions.....unless someone from here fancies earnign a quick buck *flutters eyelids* :lol:

Rich
24-10-2006, 19:42
Thanks for the input.

I am half tempted to try it myself now actualy but dont wanna balls it up or smash my car in frustration...also being rather tall (6ft 5") ain't much room for me in the cabin let alone the footwell.

Oh descions.....unless someone from here fancies earnign a quick buck *flutters eyelids* :lol:
i'm 6ft 5 and i manage alright to do my own work on the clio!!!!
just get it done you lazy git! and no i wont do it as i'm too far away :lol:

lumoxs
24-10-2006, 22:17
****ing hard - just ask number1 :lol:

VIPERONE
24-10-2006, 22:22
i'm 6ft 5 and i manage alright to do my own work on the clio!!!!
just get it done you lazy git! and no i wont do it as i'm too far away :lol:

http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/lurch1.jpg

number1
24-10-2006, 22:28
tis a fiddly job but tbh if your competent enough have a go changed a few now and i find the hardest bit is getting the plastic insert clipped inside the bulkhead, use a metal coathanger to feed the new cable through,

Btw couple words of advise..

BUY A GENUINE CABLE!!!

otherwise in a time not so far away you will end up stuck with a snapped cable like i did, genuine cables only for me im afraid, there not much more expensive than pattern ones and i get pattern ones cheap as chips, work for mill autos, but id rather pay for a genuine one anyday

Dave

FincH
24-10-2006, 23:34
Bwhaha at Lurch.

Cheers for the advice.....gonna leave it to someone else though haha.

Sadly the AA man didn't have a spare cable cause he coudl have done it.

Meh.

Cheers.

VIPERONE
25-10-2006, 00:26
I wouldcarry a spare, along with somebendy wire to feed it through.