PDA

View Full Version : Will not start! where to begin? ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Rooter
24-10-2006, 10:27
jumped in the car as normal this morning, and it would not start. 16v Mk1 BTW.

Engine turns over fine, but not even a cough or splutter.

My initial reaction was the immobiliser/alarm but how can i test this? Any first ports of call? I didnt have time to look this morn as i ended up running for a train instead.

There was a lot of rain last night and it was angled to all run into the bonnet... I dunno... clues please guys.

EDIT- Frogot to mention, i have had a water leak from I think the roof aeriel. Its drips from near the sunroof switch, I have an LED there that was flashing as i drove yesterday. whats it for and what else is in there that could have shorted?

katbloke
24-10-2006, 11:47
i had a similar thing with mine ages ago i replaced everything on the ignition side, still no joy. In the end i cleaned the tdc sensor and its connections and she fired up straight away.

Hope this helps.

TriO`
24-10-2006, 11:58
anyone got a pic of the tdc sensor please,

cheers TriO`

pat_986
24-10-2006, 12:18
EDIT- Frogot to mention, i have had a water leak from I think the roof aeriel. Its drips from near the sunroof switch, I have an LED there that was flashing as i drove yesterday. whats it for and what else is in there that could have shorted?

Thats a common problem, & this it where the receiver for the central locking is........so I could be the imobiliser, how did you get in the car?? Key or blip??

Also what phase is it?

Rooter
24-10-2006, 12:41

Thats a common problem, & this it where the receiver for the central locking is........so I could be the imobiliser, how did you get in the car?? Key or blip??

Also what phase is it?

Used the key fob. its a toad alarm and a 94 mk1 16valver.

pat_986
24-10-2006, 12:53
Is the imobiliser light flashing on the instrument cluster?

nyk
24-10-2006, 13:18
If it rained check your plugs are not wet.

If they are, dry em off and try again.

Rooter
24-10-2006, 13:29

hmmm, i dont have one there. I have an LED on the middle of the dash. IIRC it was flashing green. (which is normally good to go!)

pat_986
24-10-2006, 13:46

hmmm, i dont have one there. I have an LED on the middle of the dash. IIRC it was flashing green. (which is normally good to go!)

If its green, that would be one that was installed with your aftermarket toad item.

I did think if the plud were wet, but would expect it to splutter alittle, may be even start and run rough, Also if the bonnet was on rain shouldnt get anywhere near the plugs :?

Can you hear the fuel pump priming???

Rooter
24-10-2006, 13:48
Can you hear the fuel pump priming???

to be honest I don't think i have ever heard the fuel pump. is it on the rear?

my old man is coming round later so we can inspect by torch light.

pat_986
24-10-2006, 13:57
Yep under the rear seats, You should here it run for a few secconds on the seccond turn of the key, if you cant here it check the fuse/connection......think the fuse is in the engine bay under the passenger side scuttle flap thing.

Rooter
24-10-2006, 14:00
Thanks Pat, given me a few things to check out!

;-)

pat_986
24-10-2006, 14:09
No probs mate, just hope its going to be an easy fix for you........trouble is their are so many things it could be;

Imobiliser
Fuel
Ignition
Earths
sensors
ect
ect :evil:

Rooter
24-10-2006, 14:26
No probs mate, just hope its going to be an easy fix for you........trouble is their are so many things it could be;

Imobiliser
Fuel
Ignition
Earths
sensors
ect
ect :evil:

yeh i know. I am going for electrical of some variety. Is it possible that water got in through the aeriel and has shorted something there? I think first port of call is going to be fuses, then, plugs etc.

VIPERONE
24-10-2006, 14:35
one other thing to check is the following providing:::

you need to disengage the immobiliser on the car to enable start up... ie the renault plip works to open the car and turn off the immobiliser.. remove the IR sensor from the roof panel disconnecting the wires, and remove circuit boar. underneat on the solders you will see blue green corrosion/growths on the circuitry... lightly scratch this away clean and retest

RSTuning
24-10-2006, 14:42
Maybe the TDC sensor/wiring?

Paul

Rooter
24-10-2006, 14:43
one other thing to check is the following providing:::

you need to disengage the immobiliser on the car to enable start up... ie the renault plip works to open the car and turn off the immobiliser.. remove the IR sensor from the roof panel disconnecting the wires, and remove circuit boar. underneat on the solders you will see blue green corrosion/growths on the circuitry... lightly scratch this away clean and retest

Oooo! I like that! i bet with the extra water going in through the leak they have furred up!

my money is on this now!!

Results will "hopefully" be posted up in the morning!

Rooter
25-10-2006, 08:46
Well its alive!

After checking all fuses etc etc. I phoned the last owner, luckily i know the last 2 owners and between them they had both had the same thing!

Apparantly under the distributor are 2 wire and you "wiggle" them! :roll:

Great fix.... well thats given me something to do on the weekend, A to find out what it is, and B fix it properly.

thanks for all your help guys.

pat_986
25-10-2006, 09:02
I'm pleased for you mate :D

Not 100% clued up on engine sensors, but I think the one you describe is the TDC sensor, as suggested by katbloke.....well done mate :)

Get in the 'Cars for breaking' section and ask for someone to cut you off a piece of their wiring loom, and solder it on to yours. This of course is if it a faulty plug......not the sensor :roll:

Rooter
25-10-2006, 09:28
I'm pleased for you mate :D

Not 100% clued up on engine sensors, but I think the one you describe is the TDC sensor, as suggested by katbloke.....well done mate :)

being a bit of an idiot, the only TDC i know of in engines it top dead center for Cam timing, is this what this is?

pat_986
25-10-2006, 09:38
Yep that's the one, Try and get a pic up just to confim