PDA

View Full Version : you lot have devalued the Williams... (me included!)

J o n
23-10-2006, 17:59
bare with me... it seems that in the persuit of a quick sale the cars value has has dropped like a stone, as at one time £5k was not an uncommon price for a fair to decent condition Williams, now you are lucky to get £3k, so what's gone wrong?

Well, quick sales have stopped people being prepared to pay top dollar for them and it's kind of stuck, but the autotrader ones remained unaffected, so is it just WC and CS where you will struggle to get a good price now due to people believing they are only worth in the £2k to £3k region, or is asking for more realistic?

discuss...

richy
23-10-2006, 18:04
tbh mate i was thinking the same!

Mattie
23-10-2006, 18:05
iv noticed this 2....i think if i was looking to buy a williams now id be looking to pay around the 2-3k mark....allthough saying that i know if i was to sell mine id want more!

lewis_willy2
23-10-2006, 18:16
agreed. i cant answer the q really. although all RS models have seemed to, look at 172's you can pick up a 2002 with less than 30k on the clock for 5 - 5.5k jus cause people want rid quick.

lewis

lewis_willy2
23-10-2006, 18:16
agreed. i cant answer the q really. although all RS models have seemed to, look at 172's you can pick up a 2002 with less than 30k on the clock for 5 - 5.5k jus cause people want rid quick.

lewis

Martin
23-10-2006, 18:31
I paid 5k for my williams in 2003 :(

clowo16v
23-10-2006, 18:48
The markets gone for em I saw a fairly decent one with a small amount of rust on the arches for £1300 the other day. I think its because there are faster cars that can be had for £5k now. Skylines & Supras etc can now be had for around £5k, and you can pick up scoobs for <£1500 which gives you £3500 to tune em.

Matt

Rudders16v
23-10-2006, 19:03
I recently bought my old Williams back for £2k, thought bargain! However, after looking at the prices of the others, i still think it was cheap, but not as much of a bargain as when i bought it 18 months ago for £2100. Prices have really dropped in the last 12 months or so, and like you say, its us in the know that are selling the cheapie ones.

:shock:

Smokey McPot
23-10-2006, 19:26
I for one am gutted.

BigBoreBri
23-10-2006, 19:39
The way i look at it is if someone really wanted a gud'en they wud pay for it! :wink:

On the other had if u got a decent williams and its not worth more than about £3-4k then 4get about how much it cost u; i for one think ive lost £2.5k in six months at todays prices but hey its cheap to look after and providing i can keep any corrosion at bay ill keep it untill total bordem sets it... which isn't very often after a quick blast on the moors! :P :twisted: :driving: :rally: :D

matt uk
23-10-2006, 20:12
i know what you mean ive even stopped buying and selling them cause you cant make any money off them

just look how many people have them up on here for £1400-1800

a year ago anyone here would have snapped their arms off

now no ones even interested in looking

same with 106 gti's tho.... i cant sell mine at £1595 full mot and tax in vgc

a year ago i'd of got £2500+ within a few days

valver prices dont look to have suffered tho if anything this last year they seem to have got more expensive?

lewis_willy2
23-10-2006, 20:31
^^^ totally agree with valver prices

i paid 1400 over a year ago

and they still goin for that sort of price for a semi mint 1 now

glad i got a williams tho, cant be beaten. hopefully be one to keep. even looking at a 2nd car to keep miles off it.

Daz.
23-10-2006, 21:16
I paid £3200 for my valver at the beginning of 2003!

Ones like that one when they come up go for at least 2k still...

As its always said people will pay what they pay - I'd still pay 5k for an immaculate one anyday (anyday being when I have that kind of money - which will be a lot of anydays in the future!)

MattyH16valver
23-10-2006, 21:57
Payed £3700 for my valver 2 years ago...but it was mint at the time and as mentioned if a car is in good nic people will pay top dolla. If I ever get a williams I will get the best one I can at the time irrespective of the price.

Grovit
23-10-2006, 22:02
I think its because there are faster cars that can be had for £5k now. Skylines & Supras etc can now be had for around £5k, and you can pick up scoobs for <£1500 which gives you £3500 to tune em.

Matt

Agree with this to a degree. However every enthusiasts forum will want to protect the price of their own loved brand. You get this discussion on Scoobynet, the Mitsubishi Lancer Forum, CTRO (Civic Type R Owners forum) etc etc . Everyone wants the value of their car to hold as long as possible, but unfortunately it just dosen't happen. There will come a point when the value of the car is largely determined by the condition, the miles, the history and no. of owners and not so much by the age.

Old classic VW Golf GTi's Mk1's and MkII's are a case in point - you can pick one of those up for £100 or £4,000 (not that I would ever pay £4k for one but they're out there :shock: ) - it's all down to condition and history.

Be thankful that in the big scheme of things the actual loss is not so great on the Williams and the valvers - a friend at work bought a Megane turbo diesel thing 11 months ago - paid £15,000 - now getting a trade in of £8,500 = £6,500 (or £540 depreciation each month :shock: ). I know that's not really a fair comparison, but a hundred or so bucks every couple of months on an older clio is no major rave really.

Just enjoy what you've got 8) :P

Andy
23-10-2006, 22:36
i think like this they are getting old aloty are been stripped crashed ragged teh cars at 2 / 3k and lower are high mileage and been thrashed and look like crap

another few years and these cars wont be around any more and prices will go up ....

seanofnp
24-10-2006, 00:43
Valvers are easier to insure and alot of younger people, including myself, will go for thenext best option... but im waiting out for the williams now.

J o n
24-10-2006, 08:13
The markets gone for em I saw a fairly decent one with a small amount of rust on the arches for £1300 the other day. I think its because there are faster cars that can be had for £5k now. Skylines & Supras etc can now be had for around £5k, and you can pick up scoobs for <£1500 which gives you £3500 to tune em.

Matt

Not sure about that, personally I'd rather spend £5k on a Williams than a Skyline or Supra at that price and a Scoob for £1500 wont take £3500 of mods, more like £3500 of getting it fixed lol.

I paid £5k for my Williams in 2002 or 2003 and had recipts for £8k I think Mehdi counted, that's not including the other grand odd for cams, so basically £14k it cost me to run over just under a 3 year period and I got nothing back for it... which is a shame, but you live and learn, never buy new parts for these cars unless its a drive shaft, as they still can break regardless. Think in the end even though the last 1.5 years of ownership were easy and relatively problem free I just lost faith and interest. Glad I got out in a way, but it's still the best car I've owned... would LOVE to have put ITB's on that!

lumoxs
24-10-2006, 09:10
tbh - thats no different then my punto gt, i first bought it in 2000 for 4k! now there worth 1500 - 2K allt has changed people just don't want to buy old cars as the new ones are getting more power - whats the point in spending 3-4k on an m/n reg car when you can pick up a 51/52 plate car for the same

Zollo
24-10-2006, 09:16
There will come a point when the value of the car is largely determined by the condition, the miles, the history and no. of owners and not so much by the age.

Old classic VW Golf GTi's Mk1's and MkII's are a case in point - you can pick one of those up for £100 or £4,000 (not that I would ever pay £4k for one but they're out there :shock: ) - it's all down to condition and history.

Agreed :)

This is how I see things - there are two different markets...

People who aren't willing to pay much for them because they see the Williams as just a 13-year old hot hatch and compare it to 172s, Skylines and Imprezas. They'll value accordingly, and that includes the age. If the Williams is being sold to this lot - and a lot are being sold to them - then it's only ever going to do down in value. Particularly because they fall into the wrong hands :roll:

Then there's the genuine enthusiast who really knows what the Williams is about. They'll not be bothered about the type of car it is, or how fast it goes mista, or the age of it, and will instead search out the best possible example they can find (preferably without mods :wink: ). And as there are less and less of these good ones around, values should remain strong.

That's what I reckon anyway :D

Zollo
24-10-2006, 09:20
people just don't want to buy old cars as the new ones are getting more power - whats the point in spending 3-4k on an m/n reg car when you can pick up a 51/52 plate car for the same

Kinda summed up my point there, thanks!

katbloke
24-10-2006, 11:22
I paid 5k for my williams in 2003 :(

Me too, but tbh im not the slightest bit annoyed or upset as i have no intention of getting rid of her, what else could i buy for that kind of money where i can drive for 6months or more without seeing another one and the grin factor is still there too.