PDA

View Full Version : Brakes....

Dan_mk1
23-10-2006, 09:40
Right, ive got brands booked for the 9th and the hybrid desperately needs new brakes...whats the best disc/pad combo for em? I was thinking brembo max disc's and pagid fast road pads? Also where's the cheapest for em?

I can get wicked discount on ebc stuff but wasnt too impressed with em last time....

Ta lads
Dan

Rich
23-10-2006, 12:08
gsf mate

white16valver
24-10-2006, 19:15
Yoz does the whole brake package with Pagid Blues in - got it on mine, I love it :)

POWARTEK
24-10-2006, 20:31
Tarox G88 with the Tarox Pads!!!!

stew
24-10-2006, 20:35
Ive just put OMP discs, EBC kevlar pads and goodrich braided lines on mine.

well impressed already and they aint even properly bedded in.

:twisted:

Dan_mk1
25-10-2006, 09:42
Yoz's packages are too expensive imo, GSF are a lot cheaper...
I have braided lines to go on, but an uprated set all round (turbo groove disc's/brembo max + pagid/mintex pads) is working out about £250, on that price I may aswell get 4-pots for £400 :?

stew
25-10-2006, 11:11
yeah 400 for 4 pots, then discs ontop, making it more like 500.

i was quoted 495 from yoz for brembo discs, lines, pads and 4 pots.

not bad at all, but a LOT of money to spend on brakes.

Dan_mk1
25-10-2006, 11:50
Ah ok, I thought 4-pots included disc's, and would still need rears too...hmm, looks like im gonna go with brembo max discs and mintex pads, see if i can blag a trade deal from gsf....

stew
25-10-2006, 12:38
yeah, its the way forward.

i really need to get new rear discs, but want ones with bearings pressed into them, and that really means going thru renault. or gsf if they do them?

ideally i would want some grooved rear discs to match my fronts, but std would do as long as they work ok.

Andy P
25-10-2006, 16:07
I had the ktec 285mm setup, and tbh it was shit. I needed new disks so i thought i would go back to standard. Seem to be a lot better.

Only thing is, i have drilled and grooved rear and standard on the front :roll:

Not that it matter :lol:

stew
25-10-2006, 16:23
yeah ive heard bad things about the k tec 285mm setup. its just bigger and heavier, dont stop any better.

imo a lot to do with decent brakes, is having everything working properly, and bled decently.

Andy P
25-10-2006, 16:36
Im no expert on brakes but from what ive read and researched, standard setup with good pads, braided lines and new fluid is plenty enough for road use.

End of the day, how fast can you actually go in the constant rain and constant traffic :evil:

stew
25-10-2006, 16:40
very ture....

Mine runs fully standard pads and calipers - but with braded lines. No fade at all and i was locking up unfortunatly. Was very impressed with them. One thing that helps is the ducting to them.

and thats on a race car! 8)

MattyH16valver
25-10-2006, 16:54
yeah ive heard bad things about the k tec 285mm setup. its just bigger and heavier, dont stop any better.

imo a lot to do with decent brakes, is having everything working properly, and bled decently.

I'd have to agree with this, like Frenchy I went for this kit and its seems to be worse than standard when it comes to stopping power. Next I'll be going back to standard and getting it working properly or 4 pots. Just need to bleed mine properly at the mo I think. :roll:

Dan_mk1
25-10-2006, 17:13
Right, managed to blag a bit of discount and got brembo max discs with mintex pads on the front, standard rear discs and pads for £160 including VAT 8)

Gonna refurb the calipers and got some braided lines to go on too, so should be working rather well for brands on the 7th :)

Any opinions on caliper re-furb kits or to buy them re-furbed?

Ta chaps....

MattyH16valver
25-10-2006, 18:48
Think most people will say to buy some re-furbs....a least that way they are garanteed to be better than they are now rather than risking doing them urself. GSF sell calipers at £36 each new...are theses not worth considering?

richy
25-10-2006, 19:31
if you dont wanna spend on 4pots then imho id go with fast road pads (front) std discs, braided hoses and check the calipers are ok, and a full brake fluid flush! personally i wouldnt waste my money on grooved/drilled discs, std are more then upto the job!

rears std discs and pads, you dont need modded rear brakes!

oh i have wilwood 4pots, had them since early 05 and there fantastic! not had any problems with them at all! :D