PDA

View Full Version : Seized up valver - advice plz thanks guys

Foz
22-10-2006, 18:44
Hi guys right my mate Ingram from CS has had a look for me this afternoon. Took the rocker cover off and the belt still seems tight round the cam pulleys. Had a look at the bottom behind the driverside wheel but couldnt see much as it was pouring with rain and getting dark. Could the oil pump have failed causing one of the cylinders to lock up? Could the banging noise I heard be the cylinder smashing about with no oil? Hopefully going to use the megane BE with my valver head if possible. Do you think the valver head will be ok? Thanks guys, Rob.

Lunner
22-10-2006, 18:48
Its as i suspescted, crank bahve gone, prolly from lack of oil

As its a valver engine best off just scrapping it.

Depends how much work you can do on it, i wouldn't bother paying someone to strip it for me.

Try turning it over by hand, 19mm socket on crank shaft pulley bolt, turn it CLOCKWISE only tho

Foz
22-10-2006, 19:43
Think thats what my mate tried and it didnt seem to happen, whats next?

Lunner
22-10-2006, 19:50
engine out, sump off, crank out and see which piston is seized.

Might get lucky and be able to take head off and bash piston out, but depends on the damage to the bores.

Valver engines go for a couple of hundred quid, i'd buy another one and drop that in, if you've got the time/cash rebuild it first, or make it a 2.0

Foz
23-10-2006, 00:30
Right so if the car would not turn over by hand then 1 of the pistons is seized? One of the plugs had a lot of oil all over it the others were ok? Thanks, Rob.

Foz
23-10-2006, 02:39
Also lads I am going to ring up tommorow and put a deposit on the megane engine. Could someone plz tell me if I am right.

So far I believe all I do is take the head off my car and use that with the megane BE. I use the megane sump and box, but I could use my valver box if it is in better condition? I should use a williams head gasket and need to use the flywheel from my 16v engine? Is that it?
:D

MatBrown
23-10-2006, 11:15
You need a small starter too.

Mat.

Foz
23-10-2006, 11:40
Hi lads right spoke to the mechanic who is doing my car this morning and he does not want to mess about with the megane engine, he would rather use a valver engine. I have spotted some cams a lad is selling on here and think I will use them and get the head ported etc. Do you think you would have a quick valver if it had cams? Thanks, Rob.