PDA

View Full Version : Straight Through Middle section????

Winston
26-04-2005, 14:30
After crushing my middle section, Im getting a new one made at top gear. question is which will be better for performance/back presure etc etc.

1. Straight through (guessing this will be the best)
2. Small silencer
3. Big silencer

I have a supersprint manifold, BB de-cat and scorpion backbox.

Need to get it running its best for york at weekend.

Cheers guys
Winston

FlamingMonkey
26-04-2005, 14:38
Same thing happended to me Winstonius and I got mine replaced at Top Gear too, the box was smaller than my Original Magnex one and was a lot quiteter at first, but soon came louder, although not as loud as before

Swervin_Mervin
26-04-2005, 14:48
What I really want is to go somewhere where they can measure the back pressure and set up a proper system. Is there anywhere that can do this?

FlamingMonkey
26-04-2005, 14:52
What I really want is to go somewhere where they can measure the back pressure and set up a proper system. Is there anywhere that can do this?

Kwik Fit...lol

Winston
26-04-2005, 15:16
How much was it monkey, ive been quoted £130 which seems alot?

FlamingMonkey
27-04-2005, 09:30
I paid 50quid mate about a month and a bit back, they will do a full system for 250 so 130 is a lot

u33db
27-04-2005, 09:37
Get completely straight-through - made a hellova improvment on my old 1.8...

Winston
27-04-2005, 15:48
Think I'll go for a very very small one

Thought £130 sounded like a slap......£50 is more up my street:D

summeh
27-04-2005, 17:49
lol winston that is exactly the same system as ive got... my mid section i will be replacing shortly with a supersprint silenced... 110-120quid iirc.

they have it available over on www.motorsportworld.co.uk just go to over to www.supersprint.com and find teh part number you need then pop over to the motorsportworld site and get a price.

be sure to look under the 16v Kat section though and not the "none kat" 16v else u will have a midsection that is too long.

Winston
27-04-2005, 18:54
great minds lol

Im going for the powerflow so its running well for weekend, other wise supersprint was the next step.

Will a straight through be OK?????????????????

stan
27-04-2005, 18:58
Noise will be your main concern

Winston
27-04-2005, 19:00
Hmmmmmm. don't want to sound like a Nova with a big bore 4 lol

richy
27-04-2005, 19:03
i use to have a straight through system with decat, just had a backbox that was only restriction, and it was loud lol mch better now with middle box and cat! :D

summeh
27-04-2005, 19:56
go for silenced mid section mate.

Winston
29-04-2005, 00:17
booked in at 10am tomorrow and still in to minds as what to get.

Will a straight through be so loud!!... it may fail a sound test at a track day?

My exhaust sounds like a standard system (with the giant middle silencer) Its very stealth tho. I can live with a loudish exhaust.

Would like to make it sound like a maxi rally car. but i would need sick 320 degree wild cams to do that lol. ....did the maxi have a straight through?

What has 2live got? want it to pop....bang.... flame! etc etc!.!lol

Your opinions please ...help.... :? :? :?

summeh
29-04-2005, 00:22
supersprint do a straight through section, lol, but dunno how much engineering goes into "straight" pipes so shouldn't think it makes a diff so long as diameter is the same...

im gonna try and go for a big silencer that doesnt restrict or impede the flow on my mid section.

VIPERONE
29-04-2005, 10:36
i can confirm winston is having his midsection fitted... just called him, he's opted for the smallest baffle availiable...
also he's producing himself at my doorstep, for my inspection :-D

stan
29-04-2005, 17:41
Silencers reduce the magnitude of any propogating pulse/wave, therefore they have a detrimental effect on pulse tuning . However, i dont know how much effort Renault put into the pulse tuning of the exhaust sytem, so i cant really say how much it will be effected by a silencer.
Food for thought tho!

J o n
29-04-2005, 18:01
Silencers reduce the magnitude of any propogating pulse/wave, therefore they have a detrimental effect on pulse tuning . However, i dont know how much effort Renault put into the pulse tuning of the exhaust sytem, so i cant really say how much it will be effected by a silencer.
Food for thought tho!

Funny that, was about to say the same thing... no really :shock:

lol, okay, maybe not... Stan, WTF does that mean in English???

stan
29-04-2005, 18:08
lol!!

a silencer is bad for pulse tuning!

KingStromba
29-04-2005, 20:33
Ok ok, stand back. Let me explain. Silencer...yeah? Bad. For the tuning of the pulse variety. Yeah?

Come on Jesus get with it. :roll:

stan
29-04-2005, 20:42
PMSL!!!!

Swervin_Mervin
29-04-2005, 20:47
I understand him perfectly, it's what I'd like to get done, rather than bunging on an off the shelf jobbie. But I'm the resident fvcking genius so I would understand. :twisted:

stan
30-04-2005, 15:35
Wot wuld you like to get done? Theres no point in worrying about messing up pulse tuning if YOU havnt integrated it into your exhaust system!

I mean, unless you have designed your own manifold, then dont worry about the silencer being "bad"!!

northy
30-04-2005, 20:24
ive originally wanted a cherry bomb style mid silencer but when for a custom made oval one....(apparntly its a TVR design) av that.

Swervin_Mervin
30-04-2005, 20:44
Wot wuld you like to get done? Theres no point in worrying about messing up pulse tuning if YOU havnt integrated it into your exhaust system!

I mean, unless you have designed your own manifold, then dont worry about the silencer being "bad"!!

That's what I mean Stan. I'd like a full system that's been properly pulse tuned. When I go for a new lump that is, so some time yet. I know that Peugeot sport sell the properly pulse tuned ones for the 106, so would be nice to have one for a valver/willy

stan
01-05-2005, 12:15
Yeah they are commercially available for some cars...the problem is, pulse tuning is quite specific, so on an exhaust sytem, it may be "tuned", but it may not suit YOUR application. It may be that you have a higher peak torque point than the car that the sytem was designed for (probably standard), so the tuned length for the base car isnt the same as yours.

In short it depends on your engine/application!

Lunner
02-05-2005, 09:53
I've got a de-cat straight through centre section and scorpion back box on my RSi after i kiled the centre silencer, made a big improvement on power, and its still not as loud as Yoz's supersprint system, not far off though