PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid question

DaveH
20-10-2006, 19:15
Ive been thinking a lot about converting. I have the free cash to carry it out but this was money saved towards a new car (poss a willy or mint hybrid if and when available next year) but im getting increasingly tempted due to issues with my current set-up.

My main issue is that i need a car and cant run two so would be looking to do it as quick as possible. Obviously i would put a cambelt water pump and clutch on it before i put it in but how long would it take to carry out the swap realistically bearing in mind it would be outside my house?

Im a qualified mechanic and so im quite confident doing this sort of work and have all the tools i would need (apart from a crane!) but ive never done this conversion before and was wondering how people have got on in the past, is it do-able in a weekend?

richy
20-10-2006, 19:20
yeah easy in a weekend!, have u got abs? it might be tight if u lift the engine with abs, without abs and your laughing!!

DaveH
20-10-2006, 19:32
No i dont have abs mate so thats a bonus (i hate abs anyway!) Is it a lot easier then as ive never seen the abs set-up on clios?

What sort of timescale am i looking at then considering this because i dont want to come across any job stopping problems that keep the car off the road?

I was planning on removing the bonnet, lights, slam panel, maybe the rad and lifting the cambelt end first to let the box slide out easier. Is this the usual method or is there an easier way? Sorry about all the questions but it needs to be planned like a military operation or i wont do it lol

richy
20-10-2006, 19:42
yeah the abs unit gets in the way, it just squeezes past it, but on none abs theres plenty room, you have pretty much covered it...

bonnet/ o/s headlight/slam panel/rad etc and all other bits like cables/pipework etc and loom, then lift it out, wont come straight out as u say, u will have to just twist it around abit then it will clear easy!

time wise, me and mark took his out in 2 hour ish and that was with taking wings/bumper etc off aswell for additional work!

the o/s driveshafts can have a roll pin in them to hold them to the box, make sure u fetch some punchs for them etc other then that its pretty straight forward!

Paul16v
20-10-2006, 22:18
did mine 90% in a day. finished the next day in couple of hours. was a long old day though, about 15 hours. replace everything thats a cunt to get at while you got the lump out mate, best advice i can give you. ie clutch, cambelt, water pump etc etc

Jimmie1.4RT
20-10-2006, 22:35
Interested in your old engine if you do go ahead with this mate.