PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuilding?

pat_986
20-10-2006, 16:03
Hey all.

I have put a deposit down on a F7R bottom end from a Megane, I'm collecting Sunday (but not getting my hopes up too much as I have agreed to get it at a bargin price, and just hope it doesn't fall through)

My F7P head has recently been rebuilt with new valves, Guides ect so I aim to drop it on the F7R BE without much attention, I may just replace the followers, But have yet to make my mind up.

Anyway, I intend to rebuild the bottom end myself, I have enough tools (dad works for snapon :firedevil: ) and have a engine crane/stand, so thats no prob's, can also pester loads of mates for help if I get stuck, but would like more info if possible.

Do you know of any websites/books that explain engine rebuilding??

Thanks
Patrick

P.S. Sorry for the essay!

VIPERONE
20-10-2006, 16:16
this website isvery good.......:

http://www.m-fix.co.uk/clio/

pat_986
20-10-2006, 16:28
Thanks for that Gunner, looks good will sign up later!

Keep em coming :D

stan
20-10-2006, 16:53
add me

craigstanley_781@hotmail.com

free engine advice to the williamsclio community :D

pat_986
20-10-2006, 17:00
Thanks Craig.

I was considering speaking to you for a bit of work acctually, Was wondering if you would rehone (spelling) the block, and advise on the bearings I will need to replace, Just don't really understand the (STD) (0.25) (0.50)ect ratings............is it just the different size's depending on ware on the crank??

DaveH
20-10-2006, 18:26
the different sizes are not for wear its just for cranks that may have been worn and had a re-grind they will require a different size bearings. I made that mistake with mine i didnt realise it had had a grind and just put standard ones in without looking at the old ones that had 0.25 stamped on them! so needless to say it knocked and i had to strip it again!

stan
20-10-2006, 19:43
so they are for wear then!

if u measure a journal/end cap up, and the clearance is too large due to wear, you have to grind to the next under-size and fit correct shells.

richy
20-10-2006, 19:50
lol i like that, there not for wear just when there worn! :lol:

BenR
20-10-2006, 20:43
there is a guide in my article section on my website, its for the F4R but its basically the same bar oilpump and camblet. It'll explain how, what and why on the tolerancing and assembly procedure, but i dont go into every step such as installing seals etc as i think thats easy for most people to figure out.

www.angel-works.co.uk

DaveH
21-10-2006, 01:15
I suppose it is for wear in a round about sort of way :oops: . I just meant that worn cranks arent just simply fitted with different size bearings, theres other work involved, thats my excuse anyway!

Lunner
21-10-2006, 09:08
make sure the check teh clearences to the crank-bearings.

Still not sure why mine went, but i didn't check these clearences, and they failed through lack of oil even though i had 4 bar oil pressure when it went, so had to get a re-grind and over sized shells

pat_986
21-10-2006, 12:20
Thanks guys, some good info there, BenR, Nice site mate will have a good read!

pat_986
23-10-2006, 10:59
Well picked the engine up last night :D

Bit of a bonus, I paid £150 for a F7R BE from a 99 Megane on 90K, Only want the BE but was given the head including inlet manifold as well!

I'm going to strip it down and replace the bearings, gaskets water pump, ect, And put my recently rebuild 1.8 head on it, The only parts that went replaced were the followers, if I replace them are the eBay ones any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-HYDRAULIC-LIFTERS-CLIO-WILLIAMS-MEGANE_W0QQitemZ130036919508QQihZ003QQcategoryZ104 10QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And will the Megane cams I have fit my 1.8 head+ are there any improvements in doing this??? Same for the Inlet manifold, they seem slightly different???

I would use the complete engine from the Megane, but the Cam belt snapped (hence price) and would require a top end rebuild+ I can't be bothered machining the head for the dizzy cap.

Thanks

stan
23-10-2006, 15:17
Those followers are fine (if they are the FIA ones he was supplying).

You cant use the megane inlet manifold on your head, i will have to be the clio item.

Megane cams tamer than the 1.8 ones, so dont use them.

pat_986
23-10-2006, 16:48
New I could count on U Craig, Cheers mate :D